Confederations Cup

Hobo

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, the Confederations Cup has received approximately 4.7 seconds worth of coverage in NZ.

I wonder why? :rolleyes:

I dislike the attitude national media can take of: We're not good at it, so we won't cover it.

It used to infuriate me about football in Australia - especially now that we're winning games and the hypocrisy is evident.

FIFA have removed television monitors from the sidelines in the Confederations Cup following Howard Webb's controversial penalty decision on Monday.

The president of world football's governing body, Sepp Blatter, confirmed the step had been taken after FIFA examined the awarding of the critical spot-kick in the match between Brazil and Egypt.

"There is no more video use in front of the fourth official on the side of the field," Blatter told a press conference in Pretoria today. "So now no-one can say there is interference in any decisions on the basis of video."

The African champions filed a complaint over the manner in which Premier League official Webb arrived at the crucial decision to hand the Brazilians a 90th-minute spot-kick in Bloemfontein.

The penalty was awarded for a handball on the line by Egypt defender Ahmed Al Muhamadi but the decision was only given after the player received treatment for an injury, with Webb initially indicating a corner to Brazil.

Al Muhamadi was then sent off and Kaka scored the 90th-minute spot-kick as the defending champions won 4-3, but Egypt claimed the officials referred to video evidence, which is against the rules, to make their decision.

FIFA has already insisted that video evidence was not used and Blatter reiterated those sentiments, adding: "I'm still of the opinion we should not use video for any decision on the field of play."

So Blatter would rather allow a player to cheat and fool the ref than for the right decision to be made?

It's official, I hate Egypt more than any other International team. And whoever that goalkeeper was, he's possibly the worst time waster I've ever seen and the most annoying. Not to take anything away from their win, because most of the Italy team were piss poor last night and looked like they didn't care.

That said, should certainly make Italy/Brazil a much better game. Hopefully Italy show up like they care, but it really seems like they don't right now and they're seeing this as more of a warm up tournament. Looking forward to Sunday's game though. If Italy go out, hopefully Brazil to win this.

FIFA have removed television monitors from the sidelines in the Confederations Cup following Howard Webb's controversial penalty decision on Monday.

The president of world football's governing body, Sepp Blatter, confirmed the step had been taken after FIFA examined the awarding of the critical spot-kick in the match between Brazil and Egypt.

"There is no more video use in front of the fourth official on the side of the field," Blatter told a press conference in Pretoria today. "So now no-one can say there is interference in any decisions on the basis of video."

The African champions filed a complaint over the manner in which Premier League official Webb arrived at the crucial decision to hand the Brazilians a 90th-minute spot-kick in Bloemfontein.

The penalty was awarded for a handball on the line by Egypt defender Ahmed Al Muhamadi but the decision was only given after the player received treatment for an injury, with Webb initially indicating a corner to Brazil.

Al Muhamadi was then sent off and Kaka scored the 90th-minute spot-kick as the defending champions won 4-3, but Egypt claimed the officials referred to video evidence, which is against the rules, to make their decision.

FIFA has already insisted that video evidence was not used and Blatter reiterated those sentiments, adding: "I'm still of the opinion we should not use video for any decision on the field of play."

So Blatter would rather allow a player to cheat and fool the ref than for the right decision to be made?

Sepp Blatter makes no fucking sense, I can understand his logic about not introducing video assistance (I disagree with it completely, but I can understand it) but to take action to ensure that it's impossible to get assistance to get the right decision is ludicrous.

It's official, I hate Egypt more than any other International team. And whoever that goalkeeper was, he's possibly the worst time waster I've ever seen and the most annoying. Not to take anything away from their win, because most of the Italy team were piss poor last night and looked like they didn't care.

That said, should certainly make Italy/Brazil a much better game. Hopefully Italy show up like they care, but it really seems like they don't right now and they're seeing this as more of a warm up tournament. Looking forward to Sunday's game though. If Italy go out, hopefully Brazil to win this.

I remember when I was at the Olympics. Italy were touted as joint favourites with Argentina and, from the first game or so, rightly so.

Then they got lazy/didn't care/whatever, and what happened?

They lost to Belgium.

Back on topic a bit, have the matches been any good in this year's tourney?

Guest Ringmaster

You root for the dagos, you are not allowed to hate teams for time wasting :angry:

Also, yeah, fun cup. Aside for the opening game, everything else has been midly to wildly entertaining.