...well that didn't live up to the hype.

Hellfire

So for the past couple of years, whenever I asked people about good TV shows to watch, one of the shows that came up was Freaks and Geeks. I kept putting off watching it, but without fail it kept getting brought up as an awesome show. Reviews online kept telling me it was awesome and it had a huge cult following too. Finally I said fuck it and started watching it.

Kinda sucked.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else had something like this, with a show or movie that kept getting hyped up for you and fell flat.

(I'm sure I'm going to get hate for not liking Freaks and Geeks too. I got through 8 or so episodes and just didn't give a shit about any of the characters. I like Jason Segel and Seth Rogan too but there was nothing there)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't John Francis Daley in Freaks & Geeks too? I've heard its good but not seen it either.

I'll agree on Lost and Prison Break. They were hyped up as being amazing and I could just never get into them, they weren't that thrilling.

Never got into Lost or Heroes either. I've tried to get into Heros a half dozen times, but I can't get past like episode 3 or so. I just stop giving a shit and watch something entertaining.

Edited by Hellfire

Wasn't John Francis Daley in Freaks & Geeks too? I've heard its good but not seen it either.

If that's who I think it is, yeah, he was one of the main characters along with Linda Cardellini's character.

For me, TV-wise, it's House. I watched like four episodes and pretty much realized that while it was inoffensive TV to be sure and I like Hugh Laurie, every episode was pretty much exactly the same plot with different illnesses and treatments slotted in to make it look different. I imagine I wouldn't mind watching it on TV if there was nothing else on and I wanted to lounge around and watch TV that bad, but it's nothing I'd ever go out of my way to see.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Echoed on House. Especially when I mention to people that I don't like it because it's formulaic and they defend the formulaicity as their reason FOR liking it.

I'm honestly having a hard time thinking of movies that would fit the criterion, though. I guess Vertigo, which I absolutely couldn't get into at all despite the generally good acting (and I loved Rear Window so it's not some sort of bias against Hitchcock or Hitchcock/James Stewart vehicles). For a thriller by the Master of Suspense I felt that maybe ten minutes of the two-hour film were all that thrilling or suspenseful.

It did produce a really good Harvey Danger song, though. Props for that.

Edited by GoGolina Love

To be honest, most of the best American films (if IMDB is to be believed) aren't that brilliant.

I've been unable to make it all the way through Apocalypse Now. After watching the first half, I realise I have no idea what's going on and turn it off.

The Godfather is alright, but not the greatest film ever. I think a lot of its appeal is the same as why GTA is one of the biggest computer game franchises and why The Sopranos is hyped as the best TV show ever - people like crime. Or some shit like that.

I agree with Mark Kermode that Star Wars makes a mockery of the sci-fi that preceded it. And Lord of the Rings is just nine hours of walking and scenarios to fuel fan fiction.

I don't care for The Birds as much as I thought I would. Hitchcock did far better films like Rope, Rear Window, Frenzy and - obviously - Psycho.

Trueblood. My sister hyped it up incredibly for me. Watched the first eppisode and half of the second and turned it off. Just couldn't get into it

Lord of the Rings is fucking dire.

Oh god, right. I actually like the first two but Return of the King is painfully overrated and that's the one that won every fucking Academy Award. No, guys, wrong year.

Oh god, how could I forget about Lord of the Rings? I actually saw the lot of them in the cinema, but by the end of them all I was just like 'God, that should've ended about an hour earlier than it did'. Plus I'm not really into all that fantasy world stuff.

EDIT: And GoGo, this is John Francis Daley. Apparently his character was called Sam Weir in F&G.

sweets.jpg

Edited by AdamDRFC

Oh god, how could I forget about Lord of the Rings? I actually saw the lot of them in the cinema, but by the end of them all I was just like 'God, that should've ended about an hour earlier than it did'. Plus I'm not really into all that fantasy world stuff.

EDIT: And GoGo, this is John Francis Daley. Apparently his character was called Sam Weir in F&G.

sweets.jpg

Oh god the last LOTR was terrible. I remember watchiong it at home and falling asleep on the couch when they dropped the ring in the volcano..woke up like 45 minutes later and was like "geez this movie is still going?"

House would probably be one. I tried watching season one and some of season two but just couldnt get into any of the characters. Yeah yeah House is a bit of a bitter old man that doesnt mind pissing patients off every episode. I just couldnt care about his injury or his relationship with Cuddy or any of that.

Donnie Darko is a movie I thought was shit that Ive heard people hype up. Just thought it was a really dumb movie that was far from special by any means LOTR as well. Couldnt even get through the first one and I dont get what is so great about the movies..

Edited by Vitamin E

American Beauty. Heavy handed mocking of suburbia isn't amazing satire, guys. And neither is "look, Kevin Spacey's dick and Thora Birch's one teenage teet". Pretty overrated, even if the acting's solid (if way too over-the-top). And it's even odder that I got into Towelhead (both written by Alan Ball), but there's more of a sense of wonder about the lead in that than...well...this.

Movie-wise, I'd say the most overrated and overhyped piece of shit in recent years has to be Crash. No, it's not some groundbreaking masterpiece showing how people of different races live together, it's a retardedly cliche'd piece of shit featuring equally cliche'd characters doing equally cliche'd things. How the fuck this picked up the Oscar is beyond me.

TV-wise, Trailer Park Boys is the only one that comes to mind. Maybe I just haven't watched enough of it, but my friend hails it as the funniest thing on TV, and.. yeah, just not seeing it.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Trailer Park Boys is absolutely loved by a certain type of person, absolutely hated by a certain type of person, and absolutely 'meh' to everyone else.