...well that didn't live up to the hype.

Hellfire

Juno...heard nothing but raves avout it so I checked it out...bored the hell out of me

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seven Pounds - Was decent, but expected more from the trailer. After the first 11 minutes you know what is going to happen and you wait two hours to get there in unimpressive fashion.

Hancock - I'm a fan of Will Smith, but this was not funny in the slightest. Terrible terrible film.

Was Hancock supposed to be funny? Not trying to argue because I didn't like it either but it didnt seem like a comedy. Speaking of comedy I agree that both Napolean Dynamite and Scrubs are nowhere near as good as people said.

Was Hancock supposed to be funny? Not trying to argue because I didn't like it either but it didnt seem like a comedy. Speaking of comedy I agree that both Napolean Dynamite and Scrubs are nowhere near as good as people said.

I thought it was supposed to be a comedy. Napolean Dynamite was fucking terrible. I dunno how anybody could think that was a funny movie.

Pretty much any comedy of the past ten years. I can't think of a comedy movie that I've watched that has made me laugh. Chuckle, yes, but not completely laugh out loud. Star Wars is another one. I think that has more to do with the fact that I hate Sci-Fi type stuff like that.

Pretty much any comedy of the past ten years. I can't think of a comedy movie that I've watched that has made me laugh.

Have you had a chance to watch Role Models yet?

40-Year-Old Virgin is one for me. Some friends told me how great it was, but I didn't find it funny. At all.

This. I can not sit through this entire movie. Along with this is Anchorman. There is a difference between stupid and comedic and these cross it.

I was let down by I Love You, Man as well.

Seven Pounds - Was decent, but expected more from the trailer. After the first 11 minutes you know what is going to happen and you wait two hours to get there in unimpressive fashion.

Hancock - I'm a fan of Will Smith, but this was not funny in the slightest. Terrible terrible film.

It was a comedy until the awkward shift to the god-awful same power storyline halfway through. It turns into pseudo-drama after the 'hilarious' scene in the kitchen.

I agree with Mark Kermode that Star Wars makes a mockery of the sci-fi that preceded it.

How so?

I'd probably say Scrubs, which is a good show but not the "BEST SHOW EVAR~!". I also don't see what's so funny about Anchorman, which is all the more frustrating when most of my mate's adore it <_<

Lost In Translation.

Watched it a few years ago after numerous friends suggested that "we would love it" cos it was about Japan.

We both hated it. Ridiculous piece of pretentious film-making centres around unlikeable characters and a weird portrayal of Japan.

The pacing, feel and script was just wrong and the cinematography wasn't particularly charming either.

I feel the need to defend "Requiem for a Dream" somewhat. I've just written about it in the "What did You Watch Today?" thread, actually. I don't love it, but I think it's a good film (i.e. it gets a "1" on my 0-1 rating scale).

Mostly, I don't buy the idea that it's relentlessly bleak. A lot of the presentation of the Leto-Connelly relationship at the outset is actually quite optimistic. Their love seems heartfelt and genuine and there's no suggestion that the two, despite their obvious personal weaknesses, are in any way insincere in their motives for being together. The "three seasons" construct seems quite explicitly to build the characters up (in the hedonistic "summer" vignette) before knocking them down. That seems like a fairly common device for a "tragic" (in the broad sense) story. The fly in that particular ointment is that no-one could possibly believe that Burstyn's situation is ever anything other than hopeless. But there you go.

The hopeless endings are admittedly almost exploitative in their unrelentingly negative emotionality. But I'm not sure how that could be avoided (other than just being toned down, which would be fair enough). If you go in the other direction, then you face an equal problem with the potential for glorification and/or "all's well that ends well"-ism. It's kind of hard to separate the characters (and so give some of them "happy" endings whilst others are left in the midst of their dark nights of the soul) because their fates are so entwined.

As for the "'Reefer Madness' for the emo generation" (I like that enough from the other thread to re-use it -- piss off...) elements: there are some of those. Aaronofsky clearly believes that he's the only person ever to have considered that things that -- get this -- we use every day and take for granted and accept the social use of are DRUGS!!!! Holy shit, guys!!!! But I think you can accept that as tolerable if you view that aspect as more a general comment upon the social pervasiveness of pleasure-culture onanism rather than as an abortive foray into commentary regarding drugs culture specifically. More generally, I think that the film just about avoids a tone of haughty moralism by giving every character a chance to be portrayed in a sympathetic light: Burstyn is a victim of circumstances beyond her control, in particular, and Leto and Connelly have the aforementioned "love's young dream stuff" going on.

Wayans' character feels totally underdeveloped, squeezed-in and unsatisfyingly-resolved, though. It's almost a comment upon his superfluity that, whilst the other characters are left in an insane asylum / with only one arm / as a drugged-up whore, he just goes to jail for a bit.

There are some pretty serious problems with the film, but I think that between its bursts of optimism (and the work that does for the ensuing pathos), the genuine creativity involved with Burstyn's character (not to mention the great performance which props it up) and the narrow aversion of a blandly censorious register, it does just about O.K..

As for things that have disappointed me: "Lost in Translation" is just abject, style-over-substance shit. I have no idea what anyone would see in "The Godfather" or "Goodfellas" -- both are just sleazy, exploitative criminals shooting each other. "Brazil" is gormless satire that does something Orwell did quite well much much much more worse. I really have no idea what people see in that film. "The Seventh Seal" is one of the weakest Bergman films I've ever seen: it has some striking visuals, but raises basically the same themes and issues as "Wild Strawberries" but in a much more drawn-out fashion. I don't think it's as visually appealing as, say, "Persona" in any case. "Amelie" is for those annoying middle-brow kooky bitches who go frollicking in no-frollicking zones. "Schindler's List" is a long stream of boredom that I couldn't even make it half-way through. I don't think anyone actually enjoys it. The only people who really, really like "A Clockwork Orange" are ugly pricks with a vicious macho side and unrealised dreams of nihilism. "Fight Club" is like reading a Nietschze synopsis -- but I think people are turning against that film now anyway.

So there you go.

Edited by Emperor Fuckshit

I'm another one that wasn't a huge fan of Requiem For a Dream, it's not a bad flick, but I don't see the hype. It was worth watching once, but after that I couldn't be bothered to sit through twice.

I didn't particularly enjoy the Wrestler, and I thought I would love it. Mickey Rourke did a good job in it but it was another movie where everybody thought it was just the shit, but I just didn't see it being anything more than a decent flick. I was not a big fan of the ending, as I enjoy some semblance of closure in a movie.

Adult Swim sucks for the most part, I've seen and heard enough about that. Sea Lab 2021, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Robot Chicken, and all of that other crap is just not that funny.

I suppose I should say that I was watching RFAD nine years after its release, so I wasn't really measuring it against "the hype." Obviously I know that it's generally highly acclaimed (IMBD Top #100, Academy Award for Burstyn, etc.) I could certainly accept someone seeing it in 2000 or just after and being quite disappointed.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GOOD ONE.

THE F'N WRESTLER - Decent at best. Excellent performance by Rourke but the movie itself was just decent. You'd have thought by the IWC's reaction they had done the greatest movie in the world of all time and should have won every Oscar. My God, reading all of the hype around and then watching it.... wow... some people need to stop over-praising it just because it was about a "wrestler".

I suppose I should say that I was watching RFAD nine years after its release, so I wasn't really measuring it against "the hype." Obviously I know that it's generally highly acclaimed (IMBD Top #100, Academy Award for Burstyn, etc.) I could certainly accept someone seeing it in 2000 or just after and being quite disappointed.

I should also clarify that when I mention hype, I'm referring more to people I run into on a daily basis. Seems like a lot of friends and co-workers over the years always cite that movie when bringing up something they consider to be something hip and underground. I saw it probably not long after it's release and wasn't huge on it. Still wasn't wasn't ready to jump up and clap for it though. I can understand why it has it's fan appeal but it's not something that appealed to me, and it's not the "it's too depressing" aspect for me either.

Edited by VerbalPuke

• 2 weeks later...

I'm goping to agree with Lost, i tried to get into it, i really did, I wanted to love it, just like my mates, but it just seemed that it was a load of guys in a room, they all put something on a piece of paper and pulled stuff out of a hat

"And in this episode we're going to have a Polar Bear..."