The England thread

I agree. These last two England performances have been great. But i dont think Heskey is going to keep his spot on the pitch once Rooney is back. I am with the majority here and think Heskey has had a cracking 2 games, but Rooney adds a lot more offensive to the attack whereas Heskey seems to be a very modest and unselfish player, and would rather set up other players for the goals unless he is standing 10 Yards away from the goal.

Beckham would be another tough choice for McLaren; whether or not to choose Beckham over SWP. Wright-Phillips played decently these last two games, not up to his full potential but well enough to warrant a place in the next starting 11. Usually. Beckham, also had a great last 2 games prior to getting injuried and so, like Rooney he never 'lost' his spot, and i can see McLaren using this logic to put Beckham in over SWP and have SWP come on as a Subsitute sometime in the 2nd half.

Hargreaves is another tough call. The only player from the World Cup who looked like to give a damn actually became a hero for England. Once he's back, where does he go? Hargreaves has always seemed to be put in that 'Holding' role, that the last 2 games have proved isn't really needed. And who would he replace? Barry has perhaps made one of the biggest impacts starting in Midfield in years and he and Gerrard connect so well in the middle that last night was perhaps the tightest and most solid our Midfield has been in god knows when. That also brings up my next point;

Lampard shouldn't be chosen over Barry. Lampard has been very uninspiring in pretty every International game he has played in the last 3 years. Sure he gets a goal every now and then and he can have a good shot, but that is no reason to constantly play him like Beckham was through much of his tenure. Plus, as good as it sounds on paper; Gerrard and Lampard just doesn't work.

And Neville; well, i am a huge fan of his and all, but to be honest, i think Richards has done a much better job in these last two games than what Gary would of done, and i would a lot more comfortable with Richards starting over Neville in the next game.

Well the whole Crouch vs. Heskey debate has been settled in the right view that Heskey is the better man for that position. Crouch is too lanky for his own good and doesn't have Heskey's accuracy in the air, he at least gets it somewhere near where he intends. I've always hoped for a day when an England team would play with passion and here we are. I totally agree that Gerrard and Barry are the best midfield combination at the moment, although I can guarantee Lampard will be shoved back in instead of Barry in the future sadly. Rooney will also come straight back in, but lets be honest, i'd prefer Heskey up front. There is no doubting Rooney's ability but Heskey and Owen do have a great chemistry together - and it's been proven the last couple of games. Rooney is such a swine because he's not an out and out striker, but he behaves like one.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaa

How is it possible to lose to Iceland?!

ICELAND?!

At least if you lose to Poland most of them are builders, so are physically fit and can run around after you.

But Iceland?

I'd be fucking embarrased if I lived in Northern Ireland.

Bigal may not be seen for months.

• 3 weeks later...

Robinson (Tottenham), James (Portsmouth), Carson (Liverpool, on loan at Aston Villa), Richards (Man City), Brown (Man Utd), Ferdinand (Man Utd), Terry (Chelsea), A Cole (Chelsea), P Neville (Everton), Campbell (Portsmouth), Lescott (Everton), Shorey (Reading), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Barry (Aston Villa), J Cole (Chelsea), Downing (Middlesbrough), Lampard (Chelsea), Young (Aston Villa), Bentley (Blackburn), Owen (Newcastle), Rooney (Man Utd), Smith (Newcastle), Ashton (West Ham), Defoe (Tottenham), Johnson (Everton), Crouch (Liverpool).

As a general point, I find it funny how McClaren packs out the squad with more players than he needs so that he isn't criticised as to who he's included and who he leaves out.

Glad Ashton's finally in, he'll get the best out of Rooney or Owen, even though they are both better players than him. I hope McClaren see's that the best team isn't necessarily always made up of the best player. Come on Deano...

Still no Robert Green though. Behind James he was 2006/07's form keeper, and has performed better than Carson, Robinson and James this season. Not really sure what else he has to do to get in the squad, score a hat-trick maybe?]

Thankfully no Jenas/Richardson though, I think his horn for them has finally disappeared.

I definately agree with you concerning Green he's been one of the best in goal this season and the best English goalie so far. I'm a Newcastle fan and I don't believe that Smith shoud be in the squad. He's been average this season at best and he's been playing midfield, but yet everywhere I look Smith is listed as a forward for the England squad. He should'nt be in really. If W-Phillips is out, what does McClaren do then? He's got Bentley, Young and Downing. Bentley and Young are too inexperienced and Downing is just not really that good.

I definately agree with you concerning Green he's been one of the best in goal this season and the best English goalie so far. I'm a Newcastle fan and I don't believe that Smith shoud be in the squad. He's been average this season at best and he's been playing midfield, but yet everywhere I look Smith is listed as a forward for the England squad. He should'nt be in really. If W-Phillips is out, what does McClaren do then? He's got Bentley, Young and Downing. Bentley and Young are too inexperienced and Downing is just not really that good.