The England thread

What a joke Jenkinson called up :lmao:

What's wrong with that? He's actually been doing a pretty good job when I've seen him play :/

Better than last year, which isn't saying much because he was terrible last year. I just don't think he's at an adequate level yet to be in the England squad, but then again it seems every player that does remotely well for a few weeks now gets called up. Calling up a Championship player feels wrong as well. It's okay if it's the third GK, but on Zaha's position surely England has more options. Victor Moses?

Edited by The Quasi Juice

I think its a good idea to cap Jenkinson. Take that, Finland!

Even if his international career has just begun, I dare say it isn't Finnish-ed

Except even if he plays 90 minutes in this game, he's equally as eligible for Finland afterwards.

Zaha would be silly not to play for Ivory Coast. Long term he'll have less competition and have a way better chance to win things and probably play in the same amount of World Cups anyway.

And I'd rather we call up young, hungry, in-form Championship players than a Premiership player just because he's in the highest division.

Why does this even matter when we know fine well that the second he gets an England cap he's going to be bought by a Premier League club for about £5m and stuck on a bench for the next three years until he becomes just another guy with wasted potential.

I think its a good idea to cap Jenkinson. Take that, Finland!

Even if his international career has just begun, I dare say it isn't Finnish-ed

Except even if he plays 90 minutes in this game, he's equally as eligible for Finland afterwards.

Zaha would be silly not to play for Ivory Coast. Long term he'll have less competition and have a way better chance to win things and probably play in the same amount of World Cups anyway.

It's not club football, he should represent the team he wants to. I don't think his options for success should really come into it. I can't phrase it the way I want to, but he either sees himself as an Englishman who will always support Ivory Coast cos that's where his family lived or he sees himself playing for Ivory Coast who will always support England 'cos it's where he grow up. He shouldn't choose because of chances of success.

And I'm glad to see us calling up someome from the championship. If not we put ourselves in a shit position. We always agree young players should stay for longer in the championship to apply and perfect their trade, but you don't want to give him a chance at international football unless he's signed for a big team? I'd rather have someone playing for a small team than someone like Studge who sits on the bench every week.