Your personal video games of the year

So on this final day of 2009 what games were YOUR top games of the year?

I haven't played Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 yet and I'd imagine it would make my list somewhere outside of the top two.

1. Assassin's Creed II

ac2e309screens.jpg

2. Uncharted 2

uncharted_2_leak.jpg

3. Empire: Total War

2me4e2g.jpg

4. Pro Evolution Soccer 2010

pro-evolution-soccer-2010-20090713084733334_640w.jpg

5. Wet

psw108feat_wet-screenshot_large.jpg

• Like 1

I only got my X-Box a couple weeks ago, and so have only played a total of five games released this year. But between Arkham Asylum, Borderlands, Left 4 Dead 2, SmackDown 2010 and UFC 2009, the award quite clearly has to go to Borderlands, just for how wonderfully wonderful it is. Arkham Asylum and Left 4 Dead 2 are far too close to choose an outright second place, although in the long run I'm sure I'll get more out of killing those pesky zombies. SmackDown! was kinda disappointing, I haven't played a SD! game since 2006, and it just seemed to be almost exactly the same, with all the changes purely asthetic and nothing truly ground-breaking. CAW mode seems to have come a long way with the likes of creating finishers, the paint tool and the all round injection of realism it's been given, but it's still lacking a certain something. UFC was, and still is pretty phenomenal, although the single player career mode got extremely old, extremely quickly.

So yeah, to put them in order I'd say:

1. Borderlands

2. Left 4 Dead 2

-. Batman: Arkham Asylum

4. UFC

5. SmackDown!

This is pretty difficult but I guess:

1. BATMAN ARKHAM ASYLUM (the SP was just wonderful, almost everything I want for a SP game)

2. LEFT 4 DEAD 2 (just hilarious)

3. FIFA10

4. BORDERLANDS

5. FOOTBALL MANAGER 2010

I have Modern Warfare 2 and even though I've played it a lot, it's not as good as these five games. MW2 on the PC has so many fucked up things....man.

• Like 1

Lego Batman, Scribblenauts and Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Not since We Love Katamari has any single game made me smile quite as much as those three, especially the last two. Scribblenauts in drunken company is one of the purest experiences in gaming.

• Like 1

I was thinking yesterday what my GOTY would be and honestly, I struggled. Out of new releases i've played this year, quite a few games were just OK; ODST, Resident Evil 5, The Maw. Shadow Complex was slightly underwhelming, as was MW2. Smackdown 2010 and FIFA 10 aren't really deserving.

There's something of a 'default' aspect about it but my choice would be between MW2, Borderlands or The Beatles Rock Band. Even then, half the fun of Borderlands came from my bickering with Kaney or the infamous night where LL stole EVERYTHING. Heck, even technicality re-releases like Peggle or Worms 2 Armageddon on XBLA would be up there, Worms 2 being hilarious in multiplayer.

Of course, I haven't had the chance to play what will no doubt be leading candidates in Assasin's Creed 2 or Batman Arkham Asylum. Maybe they'll be my games of 2010. <_<

In no particular order.... okay, maybe by release date.

Tom Clancy's HAWX- Everything I could've wanted from a combat flight simulator since the Ace Combat series on the PS2.

MLB 09 The Show- Much improved over 2008's version, and since its the only sports game(aside from UFC) that I played this year it makes the list.

Resident Evil 5- A very good story and was more action oriented then 4 was, but I wish that there were more scary segments.

UFC Undisputed 2009- An extremely well done fighting game, even for a first go around with the UFC style. The learning curve did take a while, but it was a fairly good game.

Infamous- I'm glad that I went with this one other then Prototype, though I still want to play Prototype.

Guitar Hero 5- Despite the censoring of "2 Minutes to Midnight" it was a much welcomed improvement to World Tour.

Beetles Rock Band- Rented this the day it came out, and I swear to God me and my buddy got a contact high just playing it.

Smackdown VS RAW 2010- I enjoyed the story designer, but I do wish that we had more scenes to play with and could use more CAWs in them. I just wish that they would improve the AI significantly.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2- GAME OF THE YEAR! I have played through the story at least 4 or 5 times, still working on spec ops, and multiplayer is as fin as ever.

Left 4 Dead 2- It is a pretty fun game, a lot of funny things can end up happening during a level.

Lego Rock Band- Come on its Legos mixed with Rock Band, how could this not be awesome???

Edited by Nimrodic

I actually think this is the first year where I've really sat down and took the time to complete games and then go back through them to find extra stuff, felt fun. I really enjoyed all these games and I cannot wait until the sequels or trilogies make their way out into stores.

Top 5

1. Assassin's Creed 2

2. Uncharted 2

3. UFC: Undisputed 09

4. Batman: Arkham Asylum

5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Nothing else comes close to Batman: Arkham Asylum for me, unquestionably the greatest game I played all year. Plenty of other good games in 2009 including Beatles Rock Band, Punch-Out!!, Street Fighter IV, Left 4 Dead 2, and Super Mario Bros. Wii, but Batman is far and away my pick for Game of the Year.

There are quite a few games I need to go back and play that I missed this year, including Assassin's Creed, Infamous and Uncharted, but I doubt they'll stick with me like Batman did, just because I'm such a fan of the source material.

I kind of lost touch with the gaming world over the last couple years but I'm starting to get back into it. Though I haven't played very far into it just yet, I'm really enjoying Uncharted 2, and seeing as it's really the first game I've bought this year outside of Guitar Hero/Rockband style games, I'd have to say it's my favorite by default.

I haven't been able to play Assassin's Creed 2 (waiting for the PC release), so I can't speak about that one, but I did play Batman Arkham Asylum and that one takes the cake for me. The rest just has no chance when compared to BAA.

Honorable mention goes to Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, though.

EDIT: Julian Split, DBZ Burst Limit is a mid-2008 game ;)

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat

Uncharted 2 was the best game of the year in my opinion. I had a blast playing through it and couldn't wait to play it again after every time I stopped. Modern Warfare 2 is my pick for the best multiplayer game but probably wouldn't be in my overall top 5 games of the year. I also really enjoyed Ghostbusters as well as the New Super Mario Bros. Wii game.

I have Assassin's Creed II but have only played a tiny bit of it. It looks great though and I'm hoping to get into it soon.

Dragon Age: Origins.

By far. If you liked KOTOR and games of that sort (epic RPG story, lots of dialogue and choices, great characters, excellent soundtrack, customisable weapons/armour/etc) then get this game. I rate this above Mass Effect in BioWare's game library. Mass Effect 2 will have a hard job beating it. I spent over 100 hours playing Dragon Age - it's addictive and so immersive.

I should mention MW2, Borderlands, WWE SvR 2010 and Halo ODST as they were also very good games and have kept me happy and entertained for hours this year.

1. The Saboteur

This may seem like a very odd choice, especially with the number of people who haven't played it on here versus the reviews.. but the last ever offering from Pandemic didn't fail for me. Every single last one of their games has been an amazing experience for me, and almost up to the release date I had no idea what this one was about. It's a tragic case of falling around other big name releases and I'll admit.. it won't appeal to everyone, but for me it creates a near perfect game.

Sitting down to play it is at least a couple of hours for me. I can play missions; be it main or sub or just go through the wide open map fucking with the nazis, blowing up their installaions and doing any number of other activities. It took a little while to get used to the way that the cars handle and the way that Sean moves, but in the end everything worked out perfect.. the story and immersion in this game is amazing. I was always fascinated with World War II and this is an entirely different way to play a game based around it.

Sure, some history is alternate but some very important aspects remain. All around.. I couldn't imagine a better way to end Pandemic's game creation.

2. Modern Warfare 2

This is based almost entirely off the fun I've had playing with EWB members and my own friends, which I don't think I have experienced with any other multiplayer game. That isn't to say that the single player isn't great either... I loved the way that the story played out, all the surreal things that you experienced throughout the chapters and the Spec Ops mode was a great addition.

3. Dragon Age: Origins

When I'm in the mood for an RPG, this is the exact type of game that I wanna play. Many options, a constant want to level up to expand my abilities and just experience every corner of the map that I could.

4. Borderlands

See what I said about Dragon Age with the constant want to level up and Borderlands kind of stradles the line that it tried to; addictive first person shooting with RPG elements.

5. Batman - Arkham Asylum

My only dissapointment was the lack of open endedness that was initially promised. Upon my recollection, the game was touted to be like a Hitman version of Batman, but what we ended up with was quite linear in the end. Either way, I don't think I could call myself mad with how the game turned out. It was EXACTLY like what being Batman should feel like and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

In no particular order:

• Resident Evil 5

• Uncharted 2

• New Super Mario Bros. Wii

• WET

• inFamous

Personally I loved RE5, it didn't have the atmosphere of previous games but the gameplay itself was the best it's ever been. Uncharted was an easy choice, that is likely my game of the year candidate, it built on pretty much everything the first did (though the story wasn't quite as enjoyable) and made me really look forward to whatever comes next in the franchise. New Super Mario Bros. Wii was an easy one too, it's basic gaming at its very best, it's never complicated but always fun. WET is just downright fun too, in a "let's shoot people in the balls and get bonus' for it" kind of OTT violence way. inFamous might be an odd choice to some, but I found the more I played it the more I enjoyed it - far from flawless, but what it did well it did extremely well.