L33t Thread 2010

YI

New Aqualung's leaked. :D In like 3 days we've had; The Hold Steady, Crystal Castles, 65dos, Foals, The Gaslight Anthem, The National, Minus The Bear, Aqualung, Band Of Horses...I've not had a chance to listen to them all. :(

And "Lemonworld" by The National is so fucking good. Monotone "doo's" are amazing.

65dos hasn't leaked :/

It has...I tracked it down shortly after I got Gaslight/The National...well, the link where I got it from isn't there anymore. :/ I think it's basically a case of them being on top of things and removing links when they crop up.

Edited by YI

Because I did it with my albums one;

MUSIC: 10 Songs You Should Have Heard [from 2010]

10. "Good Times" by Roll Deep (ft. Jodie Connor)

FROM: forthcoming studio album (single to be released April 25th)

New single by the London hip-hop/grime collective. After the mass success of Dizzee Rascal's recent material, Timbaland and Roll Deep's most recognisable face, Wiley, the song very much follows on from what those acts left off. It's incredibly catchy, dance-able as hell and surely going to be one of the massive songs of the summer.

WATCH/LISTEN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fql6aFizfPI

9. "IHNFSA" by Kyte

The musical equivalent of the end of the world. It manages to be both warm and soothing, yet so cold and lonely at the same time. Perfectly constructed electronics, a truly massive chorus and gorgeous falsetto vocals. Stunning track from a band I can't get enough of.

WATCH/LISTEN:

8. "Young London" by Angels & Airwaves

Standout track from an album which truly caught me by surprise. Released free on Valentines weekend, I believe "LOVE" is the realisation of the vision that Tom Delonge had when he first started the A&A project. An album which is just the perfect mix of basic melody and Delonge's stadium rock granduer, but it's really pulled off, and this is the best track.

WATCH/LISTEN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVBicO_r-CI

7. "Great Britain" by Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip

The pair return with the follow to 2008's "Angles". As a whole they've produced a far better album, Dan's really come into his own and Pip's still producing top notch lyrics at such ease it's like he's writing a shopping list. There might not be the standout tracks like "Thou Shalt Always Kill" or "Letter From God To Man", but this definitely gets close, with a chorus line that's so obvious, but so fantastic at the same time.

WATCH/LISTEN:

6. "The Spirit Of Jazz" by The Gaslight Anthem

As a massive fan of the Mighty Boosh character (which this song is totally unrelated to, chicka-chicka) this song just had to be good...and thankfully it's more than good. Already looking ready to poise itself as one of my favourite Gaslight Anthem tracks, this upbeat number is definitely the standout from their 3rd album. Brian Fallon's lyrical charm shines bright here, with a chorus that's destined to appear in countless MSN names and facebook status updates in the future.

WATCH/LISTEN: n/a (will edit when a link becomes available)

5. "Not Miserable" by Frightened Rabbit

A song that builds and builds, swells and swells. A rather possitive Frightened Rabbit song, but it still has their usual swirlings of melancholy throughout. Just absolutely gorgeous. And I love the line, "So the hymns that I sung/Prayers for the ducks, from a bitter, forked tongue/Sing of history now".

WATCH/LISTEN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwZifEl6Yww

4. "Oh No!" by Marina & The Diamonds

Although I personally prefer "Mowgli's Road", I'll class that as a 2009 song, given its big single release then. "Oh No!" however, is the next in a cream of fantastic tracks from Marina's debut album. Arguably one of the most perfectly presented pop packages I've heard in years and album that's full to the brim with massive tracks. Catchier than the plague, "Oh No!" is definitely one that's begging for a single release.

WATCH/LISTEN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQjxXUbV_UM

3. "Heartbeat Song" by The Futureheads

The Futureheads are always a band that deliver big-time with their singles and the lead single from their 4th album does not disappoint. One of the biggest songs in the bands entire catalogue with a chorus that's just begging to screamed along too. It's refreshing to see a 'long standing' indie band that don't seem scared to go out there and just produce a high energy, rocking track.

WATCH/LISTEN:

2. "Harmony To My Heartbeat" by Sally Seltmann

2010 seems to be the year that people drop silly monikers. First, indie quirk-ster Owen Pallett dropped his "Final Fantasy" name and now Australian singer-songwriter, Sally Seltmann drops her former "New Buffalo" moniker for her 3rd album. Seltmann writes some of the most amazing songs I have ever heard, having been responsible for Feist's hit "1234" and countless standout tracks on her 2007 album "Somewhere, Anywhere", she continues the trend with this cute and breezy love song. A song so pretty, you'll want to marry it.

WATCH/LISTEN:

1. "DJ" by Alphabeat

Already responsible for one of the best pop tracks of the past decade in "Fascination", Alphabeat weren't content and when they went to work on album #2 they must have made a deal with the devil, because they've crafted an absolutely perfect, even better song, in forthcoming single "DJ". Honestly, a truly outstanding song, one that I believe in 10/20 years time should be looked back on as a true pop great of of the period (along with "Fascination").

WATCH/LISTEN:

The top 3 all involve 'beats'...coincidence? :/ Would have quite liked to have sneaked a National song in there, cos I'm really loving the album, but I couldn't choose one. :shifty:

My flatmate is pissed off. Sunny Day Real Estate have postponed their European tour, presumably because of the volcano, and he was going to London tomorrow to see them. Well, he still is going to London, because he can't get a refund on his hotel tickets, poor guy has nothing to do though.

My flatmate is pissed off. Sunny Day Real Estate have postponed their European tour, presumably because of the volcano, and he was going to London tomorrow to see them. Well, he still is going to London, because he can't get a refund on his hotel tickets, poor guy has nothing to do though.

Ace is pissed off because he's going to Groezrock and they've pulled out of that too. Millencolin have been added though, so that's awesome.

As for your mate, on in London tomorrow (some are sold out - like Kate Nash, but there's always touts);

Kate Nash

Renegades (Feeder side-project)

Shy Child (what I'd recommend)

Amanda Palmer is supporting Siamese Twins at Koko (I am not actually lying...seriously)

The Magic Numbers

The Pipettes are playing Kingston (short train ride out)

Ace is pissed off because he's going to Groezrock and they've pulled out of that too. Millencolin have been added though, so that's awesome.

As for your mate, on in London tomorrow (some are sold out - like Kate Nash, but there's always touts);

Kate Nash

Renegades (Feeder side-project)

Shy Child (what I'd recommend)

Amanda Palmer is supporting Siamese Twins at Koko (I am not actually lying...seriously)

The Magic Numbers

The Pipettes are playing Kingston (short train ride out)

The club night after the Pippettes is called New Slang, and its pretty cool, filled with fit Indie student types, and the beer isn't too expensive :shifty:

I actually have a flyer for a New Slang event of some sort, in my "Man Drawer"...along with a Strung Out ticket and Paint It Black ticket (which neither of which I was actually able to make it to...the fact I've bought 3 Strung Out tickets and only seen them once is fucking ridiculous :( ...the added irony is, the one where I actually went, I didn't even need a ticket :shifty:), both for Fighting Cocks I think...I'm not sure which one I got the flyer with when I ordered, but I definitely have a flyer. :shifty:

Edited by YI

When I was down in London last year I went to new Slang because I wanted to see Dartz! It was a good night, when I went to buy tickets in the afternoon I chatted up the girl in the record store, and she was there, and talked again but I had to leave early because my friend had work the next day, never did get a chance to nail a chick from a record store, even though one of my friends was sure I was nailing another chick who worked in an hmv sometime, but I wasn't, anyway, I digress, New Slang is good and filled with ladies and a punching machine... you do get metal detectored when you walk in, and you aren't allowed gum... OH and everyone needs ID

Heard the new Fall track on Steve Lamacq today. Bloody brilliant. I love the rubbish synths since the last album. Can't bloody wait to get this new one - if HMV don't get it in on Monday I'll stab someone.

new Aereogramme album! :o

Well, sort of. It's the lead singer and the guitarist under the moniker "The Unwinding Hours". Only listened to the first track, it's like Aereogramme meets Sigur Rós.

It's wonderful. <3

That does sound wonderful.... :o

Off I go :shifty:

Heard the new Fall track on Steve Lamacq today. Bloody brilliant. I love the rubbish synths since the last album. Can't bloody wait to get this new one - if HMV don't get it in on Monday I'll stab someone.

I listened to the album today. It's quite good. Better than Imperial Wax Solvent I think.

The new Eluvium album is so fucking beautiful. I couldn't sleep last night and just sat and listened to it in the dark, absolutely breathtaking. I was worried about the inclusion of vocals, but his voice is so morose, yet strangely tingly, it works perfectly. I adore it.

Heather Woods Broderick's (Peter's sister) album is incredibly beautiful. Very much like her brother's stuff, not as good, but still hauntingly beautiful.

The Unwinding Hours (ex-Aereogramme) album has leaked too. It basically follows on from the last Aereogramme album, only a bit less 'ballsy' still. I absolutely adore "My Heart Has A Wish..." but this isn't anywhere near as good, still quite nice though.

Nice to know people still pay attention to me. :( 3 sodding months ago. :(

Also, this is a fucking top notch pop-punk cover (I miss proper, really good pop-punk covers) - "I Want You Back" by A Loss For Words

Edited by YI