UFC News and Discussion Thread

I read about this Saturday, and my conclusion was that Zuffa wanted PRIDE to get rid of Fischman before they sold, and Ed probably knows this so is going to try and remain a douchebag about it.

I've always said that he was a douche, and this furthers my point. He has little to no business in MMA.

It's a shame PRIDE is doing so badly.

PRIDE 33 was all kinds of awesome, while UFC 68 was all one sided. If they had some time to sit in the US and gain a legitimate following from the "I just wanna see someone get knocked out" crowd, UFC would hate them even more for being a threat to them.

Diaz Tests Positive for Marijuana

Nick Diaz has tested positive for marijuana following his stunning submission win over Takanori Gomi on Feb. 24, Sherdog.com learned Monday afternoon.

According to Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer, Diaz is the only mixed martial artist tested on the PRIDE 33 card to return a positive result for a banned substance.

The 23-year-old welterweight from Stockton, Calif. declined to comment on the news. Diaz' manager, Cesar Gracie, offered his support to Diaz while saying he does not condone the use of marijuana.

Diaz captured his PRIDE debut versus Gomi, the Japanese organization's 161-pound champion, in spectacular fashion. Afterwards, it was learned that Diaz had suffered a fractured orbital bone and was medically suspended up to six months. While the NSAC has discretion, suspensions for the use of marijuana have been for a similar period of time.

credit: Sherdog.com

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Well, Diaz better pray that it doesn't get ruled a no contest or he essentially killed the biggest win of his career before it even happened. I mean, people will always remember that fight as a win for Diaz regardless, but it would suck massive amounts of cock to have it on your official record as a no contest. Honestly, I see no reason why it should be changed to NC, since marijuana detracts from your performance (assuming he was stupid enough to be blazin' the ganj recently enough to still be feeling the effects during his fight.... which would be really weird), not enhance it. The only reason I can see the result being changed is for discipline purposes, which I can't see happening, but would suck balls. I don't think is justified at all.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Two bits of news:

UFC70 is still rumored to be shown on HBO. HBO doesn't like the whole Showtime/EXC thing, and the current snag seems to be who will produce the show from cameras to announcers. Personally, I may go insane if they came to terms and Rogan wasn't on the announce team, why force your hand when you know NOTHING about MMA or the UFC and they are the #1 Promotion?

Second:

MARCH 24TH ON UFC.COM: DANA WHITE VS. TITO ORTIZ!

NSAC apprently finally approved it after watching White's sparring videos and it is now set. 3 Rounds of Boxing.

I can't understand why HBO are pushing that they should be in charge of the show in regards to production. I know they do it for boxing, but this is a different animal. If it were up to HBO we'd probably end up with two boxing announcers who know jack about MMA.

I'm still wondering with it being an English card whether it'll be on PPV to test the waters over here. The last couple that were on PPV before the deal with Bravo didn't do all too well but UFC has exploded since then. Then again I suspect the contract with Bravo prohibits it being on PPV and it should air for free.

Plus, I'm looking forward to the White vs. Ortiz fight. Hopefully it will be priced in the $9.95/$13.95 region or something then I might just buy it. It'll be interesting to see whether White will be able beat Ortiz. He used to be a good boxer and it's reported he used to school Ortiz during sparring sessions.

I can't understand why HBO are pushing that they should be in charge of the show in regards to production. I know they do it for boxing, but this is a different animal. If it were up to HBO we'd probably end up with two boxing announcers who know jack about MMA.

I'm still wondering with it being an English card whether it'll be on PPV to test the waters over here. The last couple that were on PPV before the deal with Bravo didn't do all too well but UFC has exploded since then. Then again I suspect the contract with Bravo prohibits it being on PPV and it should air for free.

Plus, I'm looking forward to the White vs. Ortiz fight. Hopefully it will be priced in the $9.95/$13.95 region or something then I might just buy it. It'll be interesting to see whether White will be able beat Ortiz. He used to be a good boxer and it's reported he used to school Ortiz during sparring sessions.

According to CBS Sports, Dana White has told them that at UFC 71: Tito Ortiz vs. Rashad Evans

The origanal match that was rumored was Jardine/Ortiz, but apprently not.

Also, UFN9, Joslin, Mir, and Torres have been taken off the card. Ortiz' training partner Justin McCully will take Mir's spot.

Edit:

--Dana White said that regarding the broadcast of UFC 70 on 4/21 from Manchester, England into the U.S., that nothing is finalized right now, but it will most likely be on Spike and not HBO.

McCully is also a former NJPW wrestler.

Edited by ACCBiggz

The Ortiz/Evans fight squashes a lot of rumors about UFC 71 now. No more talk of Evans/Rampage or even Evans/Liddell, though it does still leave a lot questions and potential for some more great match ups. Rampage, Chuck, and Jardine are still all rumored for the event. Dana denied that Rampage/Chuck II would be on the card, but who really knows. If Page/Chuck really doesn't go down, I think Jardine/Rampage could a possibility, but that would leave Chucky without somebody to defend the belt against. I honestly think Dana is just waiting to reveal the announcement of Chuck/Rampage II live on PPV and have some kind of face to face confrontation between the two to hype it up.

As for Jardine... Jason Lambert maybe?

Also, I didn't see it on here, but it was announced earlier in the week that Anderson Silva will defend his title at UFC 72 against Nathan Marquardt. Also rumored for that card is Sean Sherk vs. Hermes Franca for the Lightweight title.

The entire cast for TUF 5 revealed. There has been speculation for a while, but I have never been assed to keep updated on who is on it. I think I looked at a rumored list months ago and haven't been bother to look since now, so a lot of this is news to me. There is one very interesting fighter in the cast who has recent history with one of the coaches.

I dunno if enough people actually care if it's in the spoiler box, but whatever. Just in case.

All of the fighters have been confirmed for the upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter, which features an all Lightweight (155 lb.) cast. The coaches will be former Lightweight champion Jens Pulver, and former Welterweight champion going back to Lightweight - B.J. Penn.

The fighters on the show will be:

Gabe Ruediger

Joe Lauzon

Cole Miller

Matt Wiman

Nate Diaz

Andy Wang

Gray Maynard

Robert Emerson

Brandon Melendez

Noah Thomas

Corey Hill

Brian Geraghty

Marlon Sims

Manvel Gambaryan

Wayne Weems

Alan Berubie

The fighters were confirmed via a photo that leaked showing all of the guys standing in the octagon at the TUF 5 training center, with B.J. Penn and Jens Pulver with them.

MMANews.com

The following is an article from UFC.com:

UFC Vet Gilbert Aldana presumed drowned after tragic boating accident

By Thomas Gerbasi

UFC veteran Gilbert Aldana is presumed to have drowned after a tragic boating accident Sunday morning in his native Arizona. He was 29.

According to reports from Phoenix news stations KPHO and KSAZ, Aldana apparently drowned while trying to retrieve a shirt that had fallen off the boat he was riding in. Efforts by a friend to rescue him were unsuccessful, and divers from the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office are currently searching for Aldana’s body in Phoenix’ Lake Pleasant.

“Gilbert Aldana was a real fighter and he always gave 100% in every bout he was in,” said UFC President Dana White. “He will be sorely missed by everyone in the mixed martial arts community and the thoughts and prayers of our organization are with his family and friends.”

Known as “El Peligroso”, which translated means “The Dangerous One”, Aldana was as fierce inside the Octagon as he was soft-spoken and affable outside of it. He built a reputation as a crowd-pleaser with his aggressive style and eagerness to stand toe-to-toe with his opponents, and won his first five MMA bouts by KO or TKO in a combined three minutes and 43 seconds, earning him a shot at the UFC.

In the Octagon, Aldana - a former football player for Mesa Community College - would lose exciting bouts to Paul Buentello and Cheick Kongo, but he started on the road back to the UFC in January with a 26 second submission win over Rich Beecroft in Arizona.

In addition to his fighting career, Aldana worked as a sales manager for Valley Protective Services. He is survived by a wife and two sons.

“He was an extremely devoted family man,” said Roland Sarria, Aldana’s trainer and manager. “He came up the hard way in life, but he did really well for himself as far as his profession. Fighting was kind of like a hobby for him, but it eventually started to grow into something that he wanted to make a living at someday. But the most important thing about Gilbert was that he was a family man.”

The UFC family sends its sincerest condolences to the family and friends of Gilbert Aldana.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy