UFC News and Discussion Thread

-Sakara/Marquardt is off as Sakara's father passed away.

-Thiago Silva will face a returning Tim Boetsch @ 117.

-and 'The Crow' is officially back in the UFC (David Loiseau) :D

-Forrest Griffin is out of the Lil' Nog fight due to shoulder injury.

Edited by Gene Kiniski

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Forrest Griffin has pulled out of his fight with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira on 5/29 due to injury. His replacement is Jason Brilz.

Um.

Alessio Sakara/Jorge Rivera fight is in the works at UFC 118

Nate Marquardt is now fighting Rousimar Palhares on either UFC 117 or UFC 118

Good decision by Joe Silva as i thought Sakara would have been fed to the wolves with a fight against Marquardt and these are two excellent matchups

I've wanted to see Paul Harris versus Marquardt for quite a while. Rousimar has impressed me since his fight against Hendo. I think Palhares is a dangerous fighter for Anderson, but unfortunately he's another so-called "one-dimensional grappler." But the guy's jiu-jitsu game is explosive, a lot like Jacare Souza's, and he'd present an interesting challenge. Also he has a good chin... He's taken some big shots and has yet to be KO'd in his career, I believe. Marquardt is another one of my favorite fighters, so I'm hoping for a real good fight and basically a title eliminator at 185. Hopefully the winner will fight Okami, or if Palhares wins, maybe a fight against Maia in what would be probably be a standup battle between two BJJ wizards, haha.

Disappointing that Brilz replaced Griffin. I was looking forward to that fight as well. It's an even bigger shame that Thiago Silva, Ryan Bader, Randy Couture, Keith Jardine, Matt Hamill, Jon Jones, Krysztof Soszynski, Brandon Vera, and even Vladimir Matyushenko were unable to take the fight.

Edited by Master Shakespeare

it's pretty much cause most of the Light-Heavyweights have already agreed fights. Jon Jones is facing the Janitor, Randy Coutures gonna more than likely fight James Toney, Matt Hamill/Keith Jardine fighting at TUF 11 Finale, Krysztof is rightfully rematching Stephan Bonnar, Brandon Vera and Ryan Bader are injured and Thiago Silva's fighting Tim Boetsch.

Atleast it'll give Lil Nog a knockout win and they'll more than likely probably set up Lil Nog/Griffin again. I like your idea of the winner facing Okami, he looked good last fight and hopefully now he's getting more recognition due to finishing and improved boxing it'll let Okami possibly be in the hunt for a title shot

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Other fights announced recently:

Dennis Hallman vs. Ben Saunders (UFC 117)

Andre Winner vs. Nik Lentz (UFC 118)

Brian Stann vs. Mike Massenzio (UFC on Versus 2)

Greg Soto vs. Nick Osipczak (UFC 118)

Thiago Silva vs. Yoshiro Akiyama (UFC 116)

Stephan Bonnar vs. Krystof Sozynski (UFC 116)

Joe Lauzon vs. Terry Etim (UFC 118)

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Minor but disappointing note from the Observer...AKA wants to keep Phil Davis out of the octagon for nearly a year so he can work on his stand-up.

Nelson crushing Mir sounds good to me.

So, prediction on Machida/Rua: Machida by fourth round TKO. Rua will still be doing well but Machida will have adapted his gameplan to counter Rua and make him hesitate for just long enough for Machida to give him some chin music.

I see Rua taking it. (Or i want him to :P) I think he found the right game plan and i still believe he won the fight the first time round. The thing that'll be most interesting is what both men will have changed coming into the fight, ideally i wanna see Rampage/Shogun II. PLus if Machida loses i can see Anderson Silva wanting to move up

Listening to the Observer Radio show with Chael Sonnen, such a weird story Sonnen is talking about during the second Filho fight. Filho was talking to Sonnen and wanted to just rest and wanted Sonnen to just go to the ground and promised not to do submissions but of course Sonnen said he couldn't do that even after saying he just wanted to rest. Though it was cool of Filho to send Sonnen the WEC middleweight title even though he didn't really have to since it was turned to a non-title fight.

He also talks to Dave and Bryan about his pro wrestling background and somewhat talks in a way to explain the business like they never covered it before. :shifty:

Guest Mr. Potato Head

When has Machida ever shown the ability to adapt his game? He's shown that he's very, very good at a select few things, but nothing else--and strong muay thai with a decent ground game seems to be the answer for the few things he's good at.

• Like 2