UFC News and Discussion Thread

Machida's gameplan was off, he attacked too much and his takedowns were ineffective, it was almost liek he was wating to get clocked after the second takedown's scramble to the feet.

Meathead has gone quickly from being a villain to me, to being all types of awesome, he's really respectful, while quietly confident and cocky. I would love to see him fight someone in the vein of a Chris Tuchshershershershersherer or a Tim Hague.

He only tried one or two takedowns, you make it seem like he tried to takedown Shogun like 15 times, Rua didn't let him enough time to try and do something other than that powerful knee strike seconds before getting KO'd. I think Machida was mentally defeated since their first encounter, I don't think he had much confidence in himself and Shogun was decided to end the fight.

In no way did I make it seem like he tried numerous takedowns, i said his attempts were ineffective and then I mentioned the second one, which not long after he got taken down for the final and decisive time. I thought Machida looked confident and then tried to push the pace, trying to break from his norm as Rua was obviously going to know and understand his game plan from the previous fight so he tried to vary it, but fighting Shogun in a bum rush fight will only result in the KO for yourself, he is a viscous striker, he proved that in PRIDE. So take your head out of your arse and don't put words in my mouth thank you very much, it is pretty much my biggest pet peave.

• Like 1

I'm glad I'm not the only Mitrione fan. He was kind of whiny and shit in TUF but then he let his fists fly and it was all good. Not saying he's the greatest fighter, and he definitely needs to work on his conditioning because you could tell he was all punched out by the end of the fight, but I'm definitely looking forward to his next fight. I can't stand Koscheck and I love to see him get punched but the cheapshot was a bit much, especially when it looked like he was checking on him at first and then bam!

Koscheck just played the crowd after they booed him for practically no good reason--

I know I'll probably get a lot of heat for saying this, but I think it was pretty damn ironic that the Montreal fans were booing Kos 'cause he kept the fight on the ground and didn't finish, while the man whose name they chanted has been doing the exact same shit for quite some time. <_<

And to Mahspa: no, of course you're not wrong for thinking that way. I just believe the majority of the fans/viewers would love to see a good old slugfest, a brawl, no matter if it happens during or after the match. I, for one, do enjoy some intense technical battles on the mat, but knockouts are the real reason why I love watching MMA - and when emotions overflow and people throw down, it's just entertaining as hell. I don't think I'm alone with my opinion, but no, I'm not saying you can't have yours. :P

• Like 2

Koscheck just played the crowd after they booed him for practically no good reason--

I know I'll probably get a lot of heat for saying this, but I think it was pretty damn ironic that the Montreal fans were booing Kos 'cause he kept the fight on the ground and didn't finish, while the man whose name they chanted has been doing the exact same shit for quite some time. <_<

And to Mahspa: no, of course you're not wrong for thinking that way. I just believe the majority of the fans/viewers would love to see a good old slugfest, a brawl, no matter if it happens during or after the match. I, for one, do enjoy some intense technical battles on the mat, but knockouts are the real reason why I love watching MMA - and when emotions overflow and people throw down, it's just entertaining as hell. I don't think I'm alone with my opinion, but no, I'm not saying you can't have yours. :P

Except that GSP actually tries to finish...

• Like 1

Yeh GSP does try and finish fights look at the two submission attempts he had on Hardy but Dan's stubborness and determination got him through those submissions. I can't really moan at Koscheck he had the right gameplan while it's not the most exciting to watch he did what he had to do to win and i can appriciate that

If Tom Lawlor can get over his desire to finish every fight in the first round and avoid taking up to fifteen minutes of exchanges then he can go very far, but until he puts that behind him and realizes that sometimes he will have to take a beating he isn't going to go much further than his gimmick.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Observer notes:

-Shogun had his appendix taken out eight weeks before the fight, Couture was on standby in case they needed somebody to take the title shot

-If Carwin beats Lesnar, Lesnar/Mir III will likely be Lesnar's next match

-UFC is making an addition to its HOF in June, Meltzer's speculation is either Frye or Hughes

-Mark Munoz might be fighting Yushin Okami at UFC on Versus 2

Observer notes:

-Shogun had his appendix taken out eight weeks before the fight, Couture was on standby in case they needed somebody to take the title shot

-If Carwin beats Lesnar, Lesnar/Mir III will likely be Lesnar's next match

-UFC is making an addition to its HOF in June, Meltzer's speculation is either Frye or Hughes

-Mark Munoz might be fighting Yushin Okami at UFC on Versus 2

That moustache NEEDS to be in the HOF

Damn if Frye gets in the HOF will have MMA's greatest Moustache combination in it. Just went and watched the Frye/Takayama fight again just so awesome to watch.

Goulet and Yoshida have been cut which isn't really shocking.

Charges against Tito Ortiz have been dropped

UFC Primetime: Evans/Rampage is the highest rated UFC Countdown show with 1.2 mil viewers

A fan sent some clips of the Kos/Daley fight into MMALive and they reviewed them, regarding the illegal knee. In spoilers below is actually a .GIF that came out of the bunch that shows, at a poor angle, that a right knee does actually connect just before Daley tries to punt Koscheck's head all the way to Montreal.

knee.gif?t=1273859714

Watch it a few times and you will see it once you are able to ignore the referee.

A fan sent some clips of the Kos/Daley fight into MMALive and they reviewed them, regarding the illegal knee. In spoilers below is actually a .GIF that came out of the bunch that shows, at a poor angle, that a right knee does actually connect just before Daley tries to punt Koscheck's head all the way to Montreal.

knee.gif?t=1273859714

Watch it a few times and you will see it once you are able to ignore the referee.

That's really not THAT hard now was it? <_<

knee.gif?t=1273859714

Have you ever been just goofing off and bumped heads with a friend or someone near you? Even at minimal speeds and force, with no swinging effort it still throws you off a bit and feels a lot harder than it ways, does it not? Now, while it doesn't look like he was trying for a 60 yard field goal with that knee you have the momentum of both bodies in full force colliding. But of course you can obviously tell us exactly how it felt for Koscheck because you were in octagon and the knee actually hit you but Zuffa superimposed Josh into your place in the action, right?

No.

Edited by Gene Kiniski

But you, obviously, can tell us how hard it was based on your own in-ring experience moonlighting as Josh Koscheck?

Hoisted by your own petard, jackass. Maybe you should have been bumped in the head a bit harder whilst goofing off as a child. Please do us all a favour and go meet up with Biggz where you can make wonderful...podcasts...together for all eternity. On some other forum.

• Like 4

knee.gif?t=1273859714

Have you ever been just goofing off and bumped heads with a friend or someone near you? Even at minimal speeds and force, with no swinging effort it still throws you off a bit and feels a lot harder than it ways, does it not? Now, while it doesn't look like he was trying for a 60 yard field goal with that knee you have the momentum of both bodies in full force colliding. But of course you can obviously tell us exactly how it felt for Koscheck because you were in octagon and the knee actually hit you but Zuffa superimposed Josh into your place in the action, right?

No.

But it's not hard to punt somebody's head all the way to Montreal when they were already in Montreal. ¬_¬

• Like 3