UFC News and Discussion Thread

Guest mr. potato head

Quick question: would it be a valid criticism then that Jones is so dominant because there's not a lot of competition? I only follow UFC casually.

Not really. It's not like Anderson Silva or BJ Penn a couple of years ago where the argument was that the division was so weak it was hard to tell how good they really were. Jones is a clear level (or more) above Machida, Evans, etc., who themselves were a clear level above the previous top-tier 205ers like Liddell and Ortiz.

No he's dominant. There was some talent at the top of 205 and he has gone through and beaten every single one of them in the last year. 205 is top-heavy and Jones is a cut above everyone. He'll fight Hendo, Gustafsson, if Griffin can string a few wins together he'll probably get a shot, and a rematch with Bader looms at some point. But quite frankly once you get past those few names there's nobody even in consideration at 205. The talent pool dries up fast, and by the middle of next year there will without a doubt be nobody left for Jones.

And in current news, Allistair Overeem lies through his teeth:

Sherdog.com is reporting that UFC star Alistair Overeem, who was pulled from the UFC 146 PPV, has issued a statement regarding the drug test which revealed elevated levels of testosterone. Overeem had the following to say:

“I am deeply saddened to announce that on Friday, April 20, I respectfully withdrew from the May 26 event so that I can request a continuance until my situation with the Nevada State Athletic Commission is resolved,” Overeem said in the statement. “I cannot express how sorry I am to the Commission, Junior dos Santos, the fans, the owners and employees of the UFC, my friends and family and anyone else who this has affected.

“I absolutely do not believe in, nor do I use performance-enhancing drugs,” he continued. “I am a clean fighter and I will do whatever it takes to prove this to everyone.”

“Prior to the UFC 146 press conference in March, I aggravated an old rib injury on my left side. My doctor prescribed, and I accepted, an anti-inflammatory medication that was mixed with testosterone,” Overeem said. “I was completely unaware that testosterone was one of the ingredients in the medication. Although I was unaware, I do realize it is my job to know what I am putting into my body.”

Just your regular press conference announcing a show, it's for UFC 147 yeah, and at the same time it will be made official Silva vs Sonnen II will be at 148 in July in Vegas. The presser and I'm guessing 147 are in Brazil.

EDIT: 549279_388876457819624_243339355706669_1100764_124778453_n.jpg

That's from the 147 presser, I'm guessing 147 is just going to be changed into a bigger version of TUF Brazil finale.

Guest mr. potato head

Overeem is being banned from applying for a license to fight anywhere by The NSAC for the next 9 months, so the next time he can apply for any fight license it will be the end of the year.

Technically that's not true. He can apply wherever he wants, but if he does, Nevada's extending their ban to a year.

Overeem is being banned from applying for a license to fight anywhere by The NSAC for the next 9 months, so the next time he can apply for any fight license it will be the end of the year.

Technically that's not true. He can apply wherever he wants, but if he does, Nevada's extending their ban to a year.

And to be honest, if he applies elsewhere they will just Look at Nevada's ruling and the debacle surrounding it and say "Sorry Mr Overeem"

Would you not agree?