UFC News and Discussion Thread

22 hours ago, EddieG said:

This guy will get 13 weeks of straight exposure.. this might actually help out.

It only really helps if the guy in question has such incredible charisma that people want to see him fight no matter the opponent, because Demetrious Johnson has the biggest talent-to-lack of interest ratio in history. For whatever reason, Johnson doesn’t connect with anyone outside the hardcore fans, and the flyweight division, for all the talent it has, just isn’t over beyond the hardcore fanbase. That’s why it’s imperative that Henry Cejudo beats Johnson because that division is in dire need of a champion that connects with the wider fanbase, someone who can generate interest, and while Henry Cejudo might not be that person, Demetrious Johnson definitely isn’t that person, and the flyweight division is dying on the vine without someone on top who can connect with people.

Miesha Tate against Amanda Nunes at UFC 200 feels like a fight made because the UFC is showing its notorious sensitivity to the hardcore fans complaining about rematches, especially in the wake of Diaz vs. McGregor II being made so soon after the first fight. Tate against Holm or Rousey are the two biggest fights they could make for that division, Tate against Rousey likely being the bigger, and with Holm, according to most, winning the fight before she got caught, and Rousey so dominant a champion before getting caught, they’re fights you can actually justify from a sporting standpoint as well. Whilst Nunes has won three straight, none of them are over opponents that either have a big name or could be considered potential title contenders themselves. It’s a risk that the UFC didn’t need to make but they seem to be making a habit of taking such risks lately.

• Like 1

I don't understand the argument that Demetrious can't connect with the crowd. I don't think it has as much to do with his ability to connect with the fans as it does that he just doesn't have any viable competition. People are sick of seeing him win so they want to see someone who can put up a better fight. I don't think that's going to be Cejudo. I don't see him beating DJ.

Anderson had no one close to his talent level when he was crushing his competition and he got over with the fans. DJ just doesn't fight an attractive style, neither is he particularly charismatic. It wouldn't matter if there was an up-and-comer that was captivating the fans' attention instead, but that isn't happening either. 

Before Connor, no one cared about the Featherweight division. Unfortunately, there's only once in a lifetime that a guy like Connor comes along, so DJ has to look for something else to drive up interest for him, which is why I think he should move up for a super fight with Cruz after he beats Cejudo. 

What DJ needs is what finally got Anderson Silva over the hump and into being a draw commensurate to his ability. He needs a proper rival, someone who is going to go after him strong enough verbally to bring DJ out of his shell, get him really fired up so that we see some kind of passion, some real emotion out of the guy, so that there is finally something for people to connect to.

I really don't think Chael did that for Anderson. There was no lighting a fire under him or anything, Anderson always had a personality, like the stuff with Vitor and Cote. DJ on the other hand is basically an MMA dudebro, he doesn't really have an outward personality. Guys like him and Dom are super interesting, but not loud and so there's nothing that captures a wayward mind's attention.

You haven’t understood my statement correctly. I never said Chael brought Anderson out of his shell. I said that Chael was the rival that put Anderson over the hump and turned him into the draw that was commensurate to his ability. What I said about bringing DJ out of his shell was not meant to say that that’s what Chael did to Anderson, but to say that hopefully that’s what would happen if DJ got that Chael-like rival, someone who went after him strong enough verbally that it forced him to start showing some real passion, some real emotion that people could get behind.

On 4/10/2016 at 05:10, SlicedBread said:

Being someone who at the time watched UFC casually, I'll agree in saying that Sonnen was the first guy who could hype up a fight with Silva and have that genuine feeling of "Holy shit. He might actually be able to stop him."

It kinda helped that he came within a frog's hair of winning too.

I don't think that is accurate. The betting line was much closer for Silva vs. Franklin, Silva vs. Marquardt and Silva vs. Henderson which all preceded it. The only thing Sonnen brought was hype, most people thought he was going to get his arse handed to him.  

• Like 1

UFC Fight Night 86 had some bright spots but they were few and far between. There some brutal finishes and a couple of decent fights, and Mairbek Taisumov and Derrick Lewis should be getting some much bigger opponents next time out, but this was one you could skip and not miss much. If Francis Ngannou improves his takedown defence, he could be very dangerous in the heavyweight division, because he has very big punching power. As does Jared Cannonier, but he might be moving down to light heavyweight, which is almost a shame because the heavyweight division desperately needs as many viable new names as it can get. Which is why JDS winning, whilst nice to see in a way because he does seem to be a genuinely good guy, was disappointing because Ben Rothwell being a potential title contender made the heavyweight division seem even more fresh.

UFC on FOX this weekend is a pretty loaded card, even with the loss of the original main event. Teixeira vs. Evans is one of those fights that seems like it’ll either be long and boring or short and sweet. Machida vs. Henderson will hopefully be short and sweet because their first fight was terrible and I’d hate to see a repeat here. Machida would seem likely to win but Henderson still has the right hand and Machida can be knocked out. If Henderson wins, it would be the perfect time to retire, because it would be an upset given that Machida has more left in the tank and the longer he keeps going, the more likely it is that Henderson’s career ends on a downer, so going out on a high, with a big won on FOX, would be a nice way to end things. Nurmagomedov likely make short work of Horcher, but stranger things have happened. Will be hoping to see Namajunas beat Torres, hopefully finishing her, because Namajunas is exciting to watch and has a personality, qualities that Torres has been lacking for quite some time.

37 minutes ago, Benkid Nada said:

RDA is going to defend the belt against Eddie Alvarez on Fight Pass. Wouldn't Ferguson have been cleared to fight by then? Don't see how Eddie's two decision wins over Pettis and Gil warrant a title shot.

I like Eddie but he's been less than impressive since coming to the UFC. It might be just the fact that he's faced top level opponents compared to his time in Bellator. 

Tony Ferguson’s timetable to return is still up in the air, and with UFC wanting a title fight on Fight Pass on the date they did, they evidently felt they couldn’t wait any longer. As for why Eddie Alvarez got the shot, it’s probably because when the fight was made, he was the #1 ranked lightweight contender. Everyone else was either coming off a loss or had a fight scheduled, and in the case of Donald Cerrone, whilst he was coming off a win, that was at welterweight, and his last fight at lightweight saw him get slaughtered by RDA. Alvarez has been underwhelming since coming to the UFC, but his title shot makes sense both on paper and based on the available options in the timeframe they were operating under. I would have liked to have seen Ferguson get the title shot as he’s more than earned it, but the timing wasn’t in his favour, and it may continue not to be because it looks like Khabib is in line for the winner of RDA vs. Alvarez.