UFC News and Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, TheSqauredCircleMessiah said:

This is the only thing I have issue with. In the pre-fight hype video, Punk said of Gall "He's fought tomato cans, that doesn't make you a professional."

Then he refused to shake Gall's hand at the weigh in and said:

He thought he could get away with acting like a tough guy and thought he could get away with trying to act like his wrestling persona and that backfired in every way possible. To me, the fact that he used his wrestling music showed that he wasn't taking this as serious as he could. If he wanted to show that this wasn't a publicity stunt  and he was committed to becoming a legitimate fighter, he would stayed as far as possible from anything to do with wrestling, but he didn't. So he can still say how much fun he had and how he's never going to give up, but you know that if he would have pulled the upset he would have talked so much shit after the fight.

He was brought in to make money. Part of making money in MMA is being a dick to your opponent. "He's a top notch professional and I'm most likely going to go down in the first round" isn't really a way to sell a fight. Nor is being totally devoid of personality because it would make him look like he was taking it seriously. 

If he'd won of course he would have talked so much shit. He probably would have called someone out. Strangely enough the person he called out probably would have been in the crowd or had been there for the post-fight press conference to start selling tickets to it already.

MMA is basically pro-wrestling without the pre-determined fights (unless it's Pride).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheSqauredCircleMessiah said:

This is the only thing I have issue with. In the pre-fight hype video, Punk said of Gall "He's fought tomato cans, that doesn't make you a professional."

He thought he could get away with acting like a tough guy and thought he could get away with trying to act like his wrestling persona and that backfired in every way possible. To me, the fact that he used his wrestling music showed that he wasn't taking this as serious as he could. If he wanted to show that this wasn't a publicity stunt  and he was committed to becoming a legitimate fighter, he would stayed as far as possible from anything to do with wrestling, but he didn't. So he can still say how much fun he had and how he's never going to give up, but you know that if he would have pulled the upset he would have talked so much shit after the fight.

Or maybe he chose Cult of Personality because he really likes it, and as he told Helwani on Thursday, it was one of three songs he was contemplating to use. Besides, it fired up the fans and got a huge pop for him, who wouldn't want that? It's why Conor always uses that Irish woman's song now, or why Frank ie uses Biggie, they know it'll get a pop because that song is now associated with them.

I mean, I get hating Punk and all that, he's a tosser for sure, but determining whether he took it seriously or not based on his goddamn walkout music? Jesus Christ. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TheSqauredCircleMessiah said:

He's promoting a fight. He isn't the first to do this.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Avenged said:

It's funny because Mickey Gall is a brown belt.

Hide contents

And that's the colour of poo.

Spoiler

Screen_shot_2010-11-01_at_6.03.00_PM.png

9 hours ago, TheSqauredCircleMessiah said:

To me, the fact that he used his wrestling music showed that he wasn't taking this as serious as he could.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Quom said:

He was brought in to make money. Part of making money in MMA is being a dick to your opponent. "He's a top notch professional and I'm most likely going to go down in the first round" isn't really a way to sell a fight. Nor is being totally devoid of personality because it would make him look like he was taking it seriously. 

If he'd won of course he would have talked so much shit. He probably would have called someone out. Strangely enough the person he called out probably would have been in the crowd or had been there for the post-fight press conference to start selling tickets to it already.

MMA is basically pro-wrestling without the pre-determined fights (unless it's Pride).

I haven't seen the fight but if he is being accused of using his wrestling persona... maybe that's just his persona and he's a turbo douche?

I don't get this. He was pretty humble and realistic the whole way through, up until the handshake. And even then it's just the handshake. I thought Gall summed it up pretty well that it just meant the whole experience was new to Punk. Punk saying Gall was stuttering is interesting, but he wasn't pulling any Connor McGregor shenanigans for the past two years. He was very respectful to the entire process. Plus he didn't have time to show any personality in the fight at all.

I wonder if Roufus told him to rush Gall right out the gate, or if he was just itching to get it going.

• Like 1

Wasn't too bothered about the result either way. Probably the best result for the UFC though in terms of looking at the long term. Plus, now I really do want to see Mickey Gall twat Super Sage in the face. 

Travis Browne and his team really are scumbags. Matt Mitrione had a point about the eye poke thing, and Rousey's coach, whatever his name is, is a prick. Love Werdum though, front kicks the guy, and seconds later tells people not to drink and drive. Whatta guy. 

Urijah Faber's gotta be done, or at least after the Sacramento show in December. Sure, Rivera is a future (current now?) top ten guy, but Faber's looked shit for a while, and he's never getting another title shot. Give him a winnable fight against Johnny Eduardo (or someone like that) or give him the grudge match against TJ. 

On 9/12/2016 at 02:59, TheSqauredCircleMessiah said:

To me, the fact that he used his wrestling music showed that he wasn't taking this as serious as he could.

Actually, in his interview with Ariel Helwani, he explains when he was a kid in '89, he played baseball for a team called the Indians, and they used Cult Of Personality, the song has personal meaning for him beyond wrestling.

9 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Punk got $500,000 for showing up, and possibly more in PPV bonuses, in contrast Gall got $15,000 to show and a $15,000 win bonus. I can only imagine what the hardcore MMA anti-wrestling fans think about this.

It would be sad that this is what got them pissed off about UFC's pay structure. 

Overeem got $800k for his loss in the main event title fight. 

There is a huge gap between what the top guys get and the bottom guys get.

13 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Punk got $500,000 for showing up, and possibly more in PPV bonuses, in contrast Gall got $15,000 to show and a $15,000 win bonus. I can only imagine what the hardcore MMA anti-wrestling fans think about this.

And based on early estimates, not even including the house, that $500,000 is looking like a bargain for what he drew in return.

10 hours ago, Walker Adultman said:

It would be sad that this is what got them pissed off about UFC's pay structure. 

Overeem got $800k for his loss in the main event title fight. 

There is a huge gap between what the top guys get and the bottom guys get.

And the best part is, due to lack of understanding, a lack of transparency on the UFC's part, and lack of anyone willing to step up,  it's going to take a long time before anything happens to change that. Most fighters just believe that when they get to the top of the card they'll earn as much as the next guy all of a sudden. 

• 2 weeks later...