UFC News and Discussion Thread

Welterweight championship: Matt Hughes d. BJ Penn - TKO/Ref Stoppage in Round Three

Mike Swick

Rashad Evans

Joe Lauzon

Melvin Guillard

Roger Huerta Vs. Jason Dent

Mario Neto Vs. Eddie Sanchez

Danny Abbadi Vs. Jorge Gurgel

Tyson Griffin

Those are the winners as far as I know, the main event is up next. Then probably some airing of the prelims for me to watch. I'll update you fully after it is over.

Definatly that Hughes/Penn fight was amazing... I'll go into more detail after the prelim fights.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Tyson Griffin d. Jason Lee

By Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in Round 1 at 1:50

Griffin was a superior fighter and will add depth to that 155 class.

Jorge Gurgel d. Danny Abbadi

By Split Decision (2* 29-98, 28-29)

Was not aired.

Eddie Sanchez d. Mario Neto

By KO (Punches) in 2 at 0:17

Sanchez is an ok Heavyweight, only has one thing... a heavy right hand. He won't go anywhere with that alone.

Roger Huerta d. Jason Dent

By Decision (Unanimous)

Was not aired.

Joe Lauzon d. Jens Pulver

By TKO (Punch) in Round 1 at 0:48

Shocker of the Night. I could not believe my eyes, I'll be interested to see how he'll bounce back and what type of MFS training he'll be put through.

Rashad Evans d. Jason Lambert

By KO (Punches from mount) in Round 2 at 2:22

Evans did not impress again. It took him until the second round to finally pass what I saw as an easy situation to. And to finally start the ground and pound. He also had about 5 chances to take his back and potentially end it there, but I'm not sure where his submission game is at right now. Evans is coming along though.

Melvin Guillard d. Gabe Ruediger

By KO (Punch to the body) in Round 2 at 1:01

Melvin reminds me a lot of Kevin Randleman. Athlete, Explosive, and Self-Implosion. However he did the first MMA Body KO that I have ever seen. Amazing.

Mike Swick d. David Loiseau

By Decision (Unanimous)

I thought someone would get KO'd. The Crow was very flat footed and didn't get really going until the third when it was too late. Swick wants a shot, but I'd rather see him fight Leben first. Between rounds GSP got up and started to try and fire up DL, he was very upset with his early preformance, and for good reason.

Welterweight Championship: Matt Hughes d. B.J. Penn

By TKO (Strikes) in Round 3 at 3:53

First two rounds were Penn's, and then he gassed. Should have listened to Tito. However switching from guard to having Hughe's back and almost sinching a backside triangle + armbar, was simple exciting. I left my seat. Third Round, clearly was gassed and Hughes then finished him easily. Hughes said he was disappointed with his (Penn's) cardio and wanted to go Five. It was a great fight, then he was asked whats next and said probably GSP from what he hears. GSP enters and said he was not impressed with Hughes' preformance, but was clearly trying to sell the fight and didn't think Hughes would be offended. He was and so was MFS. Might have been a cultureal misunderstanding of what was right to do from a marketing aspect, and he tried to apologize... we'll have to see how that ends up... even though EBG and I already know.... WAR GSP!!!

IFL Main Event:

Renzo Gracie d. Pat Miletich

By Submission (Guillotine choke) in Round 1 at 3:37.

Edited by ACCBiggz

BJ doesn't seem to be made for 170 lbs. He doesn't fill in as well at 170 compared to Matt Hughes, who both stand at 5'9. Penn looks pudgy and carries around more fat then he would when he was fighting at 155. Clearly not as fit as guys like Matt Hughes and Georges St. Pierre. That certainly plays a factor in how well you hold together during a fight, in terms of agility, natural athletic ability, and most importantly, cardio and resistance to injury.

After his last two outings, BJ seems a tad more sluggish and his cardio is subject. Maybe two fights isn't enough time to judge his comeback, but regardless, the current BJ Penn does the BJ Penn of 3-4 years ago no justice at all.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Just some random news and what not. It's all a few days old, but I've been to busy and/or lazy to post it any earlier.

Three added to UFC 64 Lineup

Jon Fitch vs. Kuniyoshi Hironaka

Fitch is 11-2 in MMA, 3-0 in UFC, has wins over TUF alumini Josh Burkman and Shonie Carter. Hironaka is 10-2 in MMA, an accomplished Shooto (Japanese MMA promotion) vet with wins over Nick Diaz and Renato Verissimo.

Keith Jardine vs. Mike Nickels (TUF 3)

Clay Guida vs. Jason James (both making their UFC debuts)

Credit: actual news from MMANews.com who collected from UFC.com

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

PRIDE: Lawler-Villasenor, Eastman-Nakamura Added

Two bouts have been added to PRIDE's debut promotional effort in the U.S., set for October 21 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

American middleweights Robbie Lawler (11-4) and Joey Villasenor (22-4) will battle for the first time. Also, Las Vegan Marvin Eastman (13-6-1) takes to the ring versus Japanese 205-pounder Kazuhiro Nakamura (10-5).

Lawler, a hard-hitting Pat Miletich-trained fighter featured heavily in the UFC, lost his last contest to Jason Miller in September. New Mexico's Villasenor, who lost a split decision in his PRIDE debut to Ryo Chonan, is a long-reigning KOTC 185-pound champion.

Eastman, like Lawler, is a veteran of the UFC, and finds himself fighting in PRIDE for the first time. Nakamura, a tough judoka who's fought each of his 15 bouts in PRIDE, has faced a gauntlet of some of PRIDE's best.

Monday's announcement makes it seven official fights for PRIDE's "Real Deal" card, which will air live on North American pay-per-view for the first time. It's expected an additional two bouts will round out the card.

credit: sherdog.com

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I think if Pride is serious about running shows in the States and Robbie makes a nice impression in Vegas, we'll probably see a lot of him in other US Pride events. I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually see the Robbie Lawler vs. Phil Baroni fight that never happened in the UFC on one of these cards sometime soon.

As for Miller, I would love to see him in the UFC Middleweight division, fighting at his natural weight, rather than at Welterweight when he got slaughtered against GSP in his lone UFC fight. He could certainly make some huge waves at 185. But he's making better money fighting in Hawaii than he would fighting in the UFC, so the only thing he has the ability to obtain in the UFC right now is popularity.