General boxing thread

EddieG

The thing is, I doubt he really means any of it, or feels as strongly about it as he makes out to do, but it's purely about winning the elections in the Philippines, he's only got one fight left, after that, he can retire from boxing and American/western civilization and just do politics.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a bit of grandstanding involved for what is a overwhelmingly Christian electorate, but he's still going further than he'd need to for those purposes. He could have just stated that he was against same-sex marriage, but unfavourably comparing homosexuals with animals and quoting the part of Leviticus that suggests that they should be put to death goes way beyond that in my mind. He's already enormously popular in the Philippines and could arguably win huge numbers of votes without saying a word, so I don't see how pandering to bigots, assuming that's what he's doing, is worthwhile.

Before the Mayweather fight finally happened, I wanted Manny to win, simply because it was obvious Mayweather was avoiding him.

After these comments, I now wish Mayweather had knocked him the fuck out in the first minute of the fight. He's a piece of shit.

14 hours ago, Lineker said:

Professional boxers will be allowed to compete in the Rio Olympics.

I'm quite sure that's only a proposal at this stage, but a lot of people think it will happen. Changing the rules right now seems odd to me this late in the Olympic cycle, and I think it would be a step in the wrong direction for an Olympic event that has been able to separate itself from its professional counterpart until now.

• 1 month later...

Anthony Joshua just pummelled Charles Martin inside two rounds to win the IBF World Heavyweight Championship. He's now only the third person after Muhammad Ali and Leon Spinks to win a world heavyweight title at the same time as being the reigning Olympic champion.

That will presumably happen at some point. I think Joshua vs Haye is the next big money fight, and it should be a particularly hard-hitting one. I really don't think that Haye will become the top fighter in the division, and so I imagine that an all-British showdown with Joshua would be exactly the financial incentive he's been looking for before he retires permanently.

• 4 weeks later...