General boxing thread

EddieG

Can't stand Fury. People saying it's good for boxing - It's terrible for boxing to have a prick like that as the ambassador for your sport. He's not even a good fighter, Wlad just looked old last night. One fight too many.

The only hope now is that Joshua or Haye knock Fury out. Wilder won't, he's less talented than Fury.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2015 at 15:19, Lineklaus said:

Wladimir Klitschko has decided to exercise the rematch clause in his contract for the fight against Tyson Fury. Klitschko was dethroned as world champion on Saturday, but says: "I want to show that I am much better than my performance on Saturday."

And because of this, Fury can't fight IBF mandatory challenger Vyacheslav Glazkov and so has been stripped for the IBF belt.

• 1 month later...

I was listening to the radio a while back and Steve Bunce, I think, was saying that the last proper unified heavyweight champion was Leon Spinks. And on one particular weekend a while back there was 18 fighters fighting for a world heavyweight belt. Madness.

That's one of many things that makes following boxing so frustrating at times. Being world champion ought to be the pinnacle of the sport, but it's really more of a marketing gimmick to artificially inflate a boxer's drawing power. When David Haye won the WBA belt a few years ago, all the headlines spoke of the glory of being Britain's first world champion in the Heavyweight division since Lennox Lewis, and that was a lot more alluring than saying that he had actually just managed to consolidate himself as the third top heavyweight behind the Klitschko brothers, who held the other belts.

It's the sort of thing you just have to begrudgingly accept, and, while I don't begrudge boxers for making more money as a result, it's still hard not to think of it as a dilution of the sport's appeal.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

He's made his money in boxing, he doesn't care anymore, this will win him the election for the senate seat back home, he's basically the Philippines' Trump. :shifty: