General boxing thread

EddieG

As expected, Carl Froch has announced his retirement from boxing.

While he's been known to say a few silly things between fights (although which boxers haven't?), I've always been a Froch fan because he's been willing to take difficult fights all over the world, even when most television companies were ignoring his exploits. His comeback victory during the last twenty seconds against Jermain Taylor stands out for me as one of the most exciting moments involving a British fighter ever, and his follow-up fights against such big names as Dirrell, Kessler, Abraham, Johnson, Ward and Bute demonstrated his will to put his record on the line rather than take a series of easy hometown paydays. On a personal level, Froch and I share a birthplace, but I feel that even if that weren't the case, he'd still be among my favourite British boxers in history.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like an easy fight for Mayweather. Berto always used to be seen as Mayweather's successor, mainly because he's a welterweight with an unlikeable personality, but the fact that he's been beaten by arguably the only three dangerous opponents he's ever faced underlines  the reality that he isn't all he was cracked up to be a few years ago. While this obviously won't draw anywhere near as much revenue as the Pacquiao bout, Mayweather will still probably rake in more money than any normal person could dream of making in multiple lifetimes, and that's what motivates him far more than his professional legacy does.

I actually want Mayweather and Khan to fight. Khan could pose a few problems for Mayweather due to his speed. I still think  Mayweather would win but it's a fight I want to see. 

I get the feeling that there's a reasonable chance we'll see it. Mayweather's normal matchmaking pattern is to have a big-money fight, followed by a phase of taking on "easy" opponents while people accuse him of dodging the man most fans want him to fight, such as De La Hoya, Hatton, Mosley, Alvarez and, most recently, Pacquiao. After that, he'll finally appear to relent and agree to face the fan favourite, at which point the lengthened build-up as a result of months, and sometimes years, of fan demand, leads to considerably greater Pay-Per-View figures than there would have been if they'd have simply fought straight away. Mayweather/Khan has been the most talked-about potential bout over the last year or so, and with both the fans and Khan himself relentlessly pushing for the match, I can see it being another case of Mayweather playing hard-to-get for a while until he feels the most lucrative time to strike has arrived.

• 1 month later...

So Mayweather is 49-0 now and claims to be retiring, if anyone cares. I still want to see Lesnar or Rousey tear him apart though.

Hard to see how any cares about Mayweather these days. He's spent his career cherry picking fights and, after the recent IV story came out, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that he's a drugs cheat as well.

Supremely talented technical boxer, but absolutely awful to watch and a reprehensible human being to boot.

The best ever? Not even top 5.

• Like 1

I dunno about 'cherry picking', he's fought Gatti, Judah, De La Hoya, Hatton, Marquez, Mosley, Cotto, Canelo, Maidana and Manny. That's 10 absolute killers. I don't personally find him awful to watch either, watching someone make adjustments mid-round and slip punches from the world's best fighters with ease is more interesting that watching some lunkhead block punches with his face to me.

He is an absolute shit though.

• Admin

An Australian boxer has died four days after being knocked unconscious during a regional title fight in Sydney.

Davey Browne Jr, 28, was knocked out by Carlo Magali of the Philippines towards the end of a 12-round IBF super-featherweight contest on Friday. The father-of-two's life support was turned off after he failed to recover from his injuries.

The Australian Medical Association (AMA) has called for a ban on boxing following Browne's death. 

"One punch can kill, whether you are outside a pub on a Friday night or in a boxing ring, and this is the thing that causes young lives to be ended so traumatically," AMA vice-president Dr Stephen Parnis told Australian broadcaster ABC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Fury ain't going to win on points in Germany even if he was the better fighter. 

Typical heavyweight fight really. I hate Fury but I just hope that maybe if he wins it might help heavyweight boxing.