General boxing thread

EddieG

She was responding to somebody else who had brought a new point to the table. Considering your stance this may shock you, but people are allowed to respond to other people they disagree with.

You guys implies multiple people, so I assumed that was in response to the both of us. No need to get snarky over a Michelle Beadle debate.

Doesn't prove much of anything but I've stopped watching UFC PPV's because the pubs/clubs stopped putting them on for free and even purchasing only the occasional event myself is too expensive. This big fight was in all the pubs/clubs that I could see.

Yeah I know it was a hugely anticipated fight but still it's a decent sign if boxing can find ways to capture the public's interest on at least a semi-regular basis.

Doesn't prove much of anything but I've stopped watching UFC PPV's because the pubs/clubs stopped putting them on for free and even purchasing only the occasional event myself is too expensive. This big fight was in all the pubs/clubs that I could see.

Yeah I know it was a hugely anticipated fight but still it's a decent sign if boxing can find ways to capture the public's interest on at least a semi-regular basis.

That's not their fault entirely. Any business that decides to show a pay-per-view event has to pay a fee to be able to broadcast. The bar I work at would have had to pay $9000 just to show the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, so we opted not to instead. In general, though, I do agree that all this shit is too expensive.

So, to move passed all the boring stuff. This week we have a couple of shows in England on Saturday 9th. At Wembley, shown on BoxNation, Chris Eubank Jr returns to the ring for the first time since his first professional defeat and takes on Les Sherrington, Frank Buglioni defends the WBO European Super Middleweight title against Lee Markham, Christian Palma and Mitchell Smith meet in the final eliminator for the WBO Intercontinental Featherweight title and Bradley Skeete makes his first defence of the WBO European Welterweight title against Brunet Zamora. Billy Joe Saunders was originally supposed to be on the card as well but an injury to WBO World Middleweight champion Andy Lee means that Saunders is going to be moved into an interim title match in the near future. It is possible that Saunders and Eubank Jr will rematch for the interim title if Eubank Jr defeats Sherrington.

Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing present a card in Birmingham which will also be shown on Sky Sports. Anthony Joshua will be the biggest name on the card as he takes on Raphael Zumbano Love in what many expect to be a tune up fight in preparation for Joshua's clash with Kevin Johnson at the end of the month. Kal Yafai faces Rey Megrino for the WBC Silver Flyweight title, Kal's younger brother Gamal also looks to extend his undefeated record on the card. Frankie Gavin was supposed to fight on this card but has been moved up to fight Kell Brook for the IBF Welterweight title at the end of the month on the O2 Arena show.

Liam will be happy to hear that his boy Gennady Golovkin fights next Saturday as he defends the WBA (Super), IBO and interim WBC Middleweight Titles against Willie Monroe Jr in California. Not sure if that is being shown on TV over here yet.

That Golovkin fight should be a squash. I wish we could see him fight a major name, but I wonder if some of the possible opponents might either move up a weight division, like Andre Ward, retire, like Carl Froch, or avoid him completely, like most people. I've heard people talking him up as a potential opponent for Mayweather, but there's no way he would move into unfamiliar territory to fight a relative unknown at this point in his career. Cotto or Alvarez might be interesting, especially given Cotto's aggression and tenacity, and a fight with Alvarez would be an intriguing tussle between two young up-and-comers, but I still think they might see it as too much of a gamble for too little financial reward. If only boxing could be like most other sports and have a single governing body to organise fights on anything other than the "because we say so" basis.

Yeah, Golovkin is in that terrible situation where he isn't a big enough name to get any big fights and the majority of the guys that he should be fighting to try and get to the elite level aren't going to fight him because he is too much for them to handle. His best shot is probably to keep on taking title belts, people can't run away as easily when you're the champ. Fighting in the US should help raise his profile as well. Would love to see him against Cotto or Alvarez.

That's not their fault entirely. Any business that decides to show a pay-per-view event has to pay a fee to be able to broadcast. The bar I work at would have had to pay $9000 just to show the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, so we opted not to instead. In general, though, I do agree that all this shit is too expensive.
Yeah true. Pretty sure that's what the club that I was watching Ufc at during early-mid 2011 said. They got decent crowds but the Ufc upped the price by waaay too much. The other venue was more because of poor crowds(seriously, I was the only person who actually went to the brazilian cards to give you an example).

In terms of style, Amir Khan wouldn't be an easy fight for Mayweather. I still think Mayweather would win a decision but Khan would give him a few issues in terms of controlling the range and in terms of Khan's height.

I think I'd rather see Khan/Pacquiao than Khan/Mayweather.