General boxing thread

EddieG

Beadle tweeted she's done with WWE because Triple H tweeted support of Floyd, which is really weird considering he and Mayweather have been known friends and WWE has done business with him in a very high profile fashion. Granted Floyd's team went out of their way to fuck her over, but that's not Triple H's fault and if you're going to be boycott WWE over that you'll have to boycott half of pretty much everything you associate with in your profession (NFL, co-workers, etc.) because Mayweather, fair or not, has no shortage of supporters in the sports world.

I wanted an outright winner in the match. Not someone winning on points. Even if it was mayweather, at least you could have said he won fair and square.

I see what my friend is getting at but I'm not sure I care for the suggestion that a win on points is somehow not a 'fair and square' win. Pretty sure that there would be plenty of great boxers throughout history that won more fights by a points decision than by knockout or whatever but that shouldn't mean that their wins are less valid somehow.

• Like 1

Beadle tweeted she's done with WWE because Triple H tweeted support of Floyd, which is really weird considering he and Mayweather have been known friends and WWE has done business with him in a very high profile fashion. Granted Floyd's team went out of their way to fuck her over, but that's not Triple H's fault and if you're going to be boycott WWE over that you'll have to boycott half of pretty much everything you associate with in your profession (NFL, co-workers, etc.) because Mayweather, fair or not, has no shortage of supporters in the sports world.

Mayweather's awfulness and how extreme it was has only really gotten major exposure lately. There wasn't much coverage or details when he was actually arrested, and it wasn't really until the Ray Rice thing that people started looking at Mayweather this closely. Beadle herself was chummy with Floyd at the Espys in July last year. She's apologized for that, saying she wasn't aware of how bad it was, and she won't support him again.

At this point, what Floyd's done is out there. HHH knows about the details. Him supporting Mayweather in the past can be excused. His continued support can't. I'm glad that he's getting called out by mainstream fans. I hope prominent figures who continue to support Mayweather are called out in public like this, and I hope his support erodes because of it.

• Like 4

Not excusing Mayweather's behavior or Triple H's support. He's by all accounts an awful person. Just saying that if you're going to target Triple H for it, you might as well stop watching anything all together (whether that be sports or movies or what have you) because there is more than likely going to be a Mayweather fan involved with it. She also vehemently supports Stone Cold as her favorite wrestler, which is odd.

The 'woe is me, boxing is dead' comments make me chuckle.

As always in any sport/media/etc, what is positioned as the best, the be all and end all, isn't necessarily going to be the best thing ever. However, if you are a fan of boxing, there are enough big names and exciting boxers that are about to satiate any interest you might have in the sport.

Appeal to the masses? Probably not. Appeal to boxing fans - of course.

There's a reason the sport has lasted as long as this. The casual fan is the casual fan; I'll just head off and watch some Gennady Golovkin instead.

• Like 1

Like when you were at primary school you would be mean and pick on the people you actually fancied. :shifty:

Also, poor Sarah Urwin >_>

She is a lucky lady!

I know a Sarah Urwin. :shifty:

I wanted an outright winner in the match. Not someone winning on points. Even if it was mayweather, at least you could have said he won fair and square.

I see what my friend is getting at but I'm not sure I care for the suggestion that a win on points is somehow not a 'fair and square' win. Pretty sure that there would be plenty of great boxers throughout history that won more fights by a points decision than by knockout or whatever but that shouldn't mean that their wins are less valid somehow.

He does realise if boxing still had 'unlimited rounds until a KO occurs', Mayweather would be even more defensive, probably literally dancing around till his opponent died of old age.

• Like 3

The 'woe is me, boxing is dead' comments make me chuckle.

As always in any sport/media/etc, what is positioned as the best, the be all and end all, isn't necessarily going to be the best thing ever. However, if you are a fan of boxing, there are enough big names and exciting boxers that are about to satiate any interest you might have in the sport.

Appeal to the masses? Probably not. Appeal to boxing fans - of course.

There's a reason the sport has lasted as long as this. The casual fan is the casual fan; I'll just head off and watch some Gennady Golovkin instead.

I think I agree with this. Mayweather/Pacquiao is one of those anomalies as far as mainstream attention goes, and it's the sort of mega fight that only comes around once every few years, if that. The supposedly lesser-known boxers have still been selling out arenas, and even stadiums, within minutes, selling a lot of Pay-Per-View buys and making a load of money for years with no sign of stopping. If the promoters managed to convince a fair few people that Haye vs Harrison was going to be a competitive fight, I doubt they'll have too much trouble setting up "big" matches out of nothing in the future.

• Like 1

Just watched the fight. I enjoyed it, was fun for me. Did everyone else not enjoy it because of the result or was it really that boring?

I thought it was boring. I was also surprised at how much respect Manny showed for Mayweather. He was all smiles and fist bumps, which I did not expect at all.

It also feels less old school and sleazy. Boxing just makes me think of cigar smoke-filled auditoriums with no air conditioning in the 1950s or something.

Pretty much what I love about boxing can be boiled down to this. It will always feel more gritty and sort of plucked-out-of-time, where MMA has a very modern approach and just seems more loud and garish. It's interesting the way fans are divided between.

I think it's easy to wax fatalism about boxing being done as a mainstream sport. People forget that Pacquiao was a no-namer to the general public less than 10 years ago. He was making chatter in boxing circles, but his name didn't ring out the way it does now. His ability and persona plus the boxing media's crafting of a narrative for him made a star, made this a fight people wanted to see. It's not out of the realm of possibility to me that that combination of things could be put together again. It's just time and having the right factors. Having fights back on network TV and basic cable is hopefully going to do a lot more for the sport's mainstream visibility than years of being hidden away on pay TV did.

Fight itself was boring which was not unexpected but also didn't make it less boring. I had it 116-112 with maybe one round up in the air and it went almost exactly like I imagined. The shoulder injury is unfortunate if true because I think the expectation was for Pacquiao to come on much stronger and his punching looked a little bit reserved. Don't care to see a rematch and probably don't need to see either guy fight ever again, either.

• Like 1

HBO interviewer Max Kellerman destroyed for post-fight interview with Manny Pacquiao

JAI BEDNALL news.com.au May 03, 2015 6:10PM

max-kellerman-pacquiao.jpg

EVERYONE from Mitchell Johnson to Scott Pendlebury to Kelly Slater lined up to slam HBO interviewer Max Kellerman for what they thought was an overly-opinionated post-fight interview with Manny Pacquiao after his defeat against Floyd Mayweather.

Pacquiao lost a unanimous decision to the undefeated pound-for-pound champion but while being interviewed in the ring by Kellerman insisted he believed he’d won.“You thought you won the fight? Why?” Kellerman responded. Pacquiao looked a little flummoxed by the persistence of Kellerman’s questioning and despite the language barrier did his best to explain. “I thought I won the fight. He didn’t do nothing,” Pacquiao said. “I got him many times with solid punches ... I can handle his power.”

But Kellerman wasn’t satisfied, declaring he had personally given Mayweather the victory. It didn’t go down well with Johnson and co, who voiced their displeasure on Twitter..

Mitchell Johnson(Cricket Star)

@MitchJohnson398

Who was the muppet interviewing Pacman? #tool #norespect #MayPac

Kelly Slater(Pro Surfer)

@kellyslater

This just confirms why I don't watch boxing. And that #MaxKellerman dude should lose his job for that horribly opinionated interview.

Scott Pendlebury(AFL Star)

@SP_10

Max Kellerman I'm right off you #norespect

Scott Harding(ex-AFL player currently playing American College Football)

@scotthardingUH

Whoever that reporter was who interviews Pacman is the most disrespectful idiot I've ever seen & heard. #getinthering #TMT #Pacquiao

Fight fans on Twitter also ripped into the 41-year-old, whose bio on the HBO website describes him as “one of the most respected analysts in the sport of boxing”.

Evann Doumanis

@Dou_man

Disgraceful interview. Elude to your opinion If you wish but don't ram it down the throat of a guy coming off a close dec @Max_Kellerman

Winston Almendras

@chairell

The world hates @Max_Kellerman today as much as they hate Mayweather. #ThatDoucheInterviewer

Tanner Coad

@Tanner_Coad19

@Max_Kellerman It wasn't the questions, it was how you said them and how selfish you were to Manny. He could knock you out. Grow up mate.

rj

@tOOT3r

@Max_Kellerman GOT BOOS from TWITTER and CROWD at MGM for being a prick, douche and a hole. #MayPac @marcelluswiley @LAIreland @VeniceMase

Emmanuel Lopez

@noeldclopez

You @Max_Kellerman are not even a judge to say those words. Your job is to interview @MannyPacquiao it was not an interview at all. #MayPac

Cristian Lopez

@elpistianlu

What a lack of professionalism by @Max_Kellerman .

In Kellerman’s defence, fighters will often argue after a fight they’ve clearly lost that they believed they won — and it can be annoying but Pacquiao had clearly stated his position and wasn’t going to change his mind so the line of questioning was perhaps overly-persistent.

Kellerman attempted to placate angry Pacquiao fans with this post on Twitter.

Max Kellerman

@Max_Kellerman

.@MannyPacquiao fans: I love Manny. He's pleasure to deal with & to watch fight. Manny disagreed w/judges. Had to ask him about it. #MayPac

I'm secretly hoping this is all a work and Manny fights this Kellerman fellow before settling the grudge with Mayweather inside of a steel cage! :w00t:

Mayweather gets alot of the same criticisms that are levelled at Demetrious Johnson because he's perceived as 'boring' and 'safe'. The 'problem' with both of them is that they are both so technically refined defensively and movement wise and fight clever that that they never end up in the slugfests that the crowd demands.

I know it doesn't make for good viewing, but when you can make a boxer of Pacquiao's skill miss 6 out of 7 punches thrown for 12 rounds, that's something that should be admired.

• Like 2

Love Max Kellerman, and anyone who has ever listened to him do anything should have known that he was going to call him out on that. All of those tweets just read as people being salty that Pac lost.

Speaking of which, this fight was always going to end this way. Maybe a younger Manny could have overwhelmed Mayweather with punches, but I doubt it. When your argument is 'he moved to much', you're pretty much admitting you had nothing for the dude. He got outboxed, simple as that.

• Like 1