Eurovision 2010

Katsuya

If the UK are going to continue with the 'BBC Reality Show' style of picking their act in the way they've done for the past couple of years, then we're doomed to have utter tat each and every time. The song (picked ahead of time) will be vague and uninteresting because it's written for an unknown singer, and the singer will be bland and inoffensive because they are the sort that wins those shows. End result: a pathetic shadow of a makeshift act that will be outshone by all other acts who are in any way similar, let alone entirely different acts that will be more amusing/compelling.

An idea one of my housemates proposed was getting whoever wins X-Factor (or whichever show is in vogue) to do it every year. It'd help cover the line between a known and unknown artist, we'd probably get much better results without necessarily having much better songs, and it would bring Eurovision into being part of the 'real' music industry in that it would make money for Simon Cowell. Might even stop that silly whining about the Christmas number one. Of course the big stumbling block would be the ITV/BBC divide on that one.

Cowell would probably hate it because it would taint his new money-maker with the Eurovision stink. Or, to be more precise, Eurovision Loser stink. It throws the crucial early stages of their career (aka post-obligatory-Christmas-single) out to the randomness of Euro politics, and out of Cowell's complete control. Not ideal.

I'm not even sure Cowell would be that interested. His hope is for X Factor winners to do well in the US (hence his no doubt guttedness of having a white homosexual Northener to try to promote this time. Think he'll pass Brookstein style), and if they nail us and the states Europe follow anyway, Eurovision probably isn't worth the time and effort to do it.

Why not just take up the offers of the likes of Morrissey and Jarvis Cocker, or whichever other credible songwriter throws their name in the hat. Hell, I know I'd rather hear (Cunts are still) Running the World than that poorly targetted environmentalism one last night.

Think thats my big issue with it at the minute, if you can't speak English, and you can't write in English properly, don't do it. There were loads of horrendous lyrics last night, and when the likes of 3 + 2 (and the eventual winner!) can't speak the language, why sing it?

Edit: Ugh, definition of irony. I originally typed 'if you can't right in English properly'. Oh dear.

Edited by Colly

Ha, I'm the exact opposite on that. My favourite thing about Eurovision is the way that they pay lip service to other languages at best while more or less acknowledging that English is the most badass of all the languages. It's only the fact that more than half the songs are in English that gets me through it

I have heard theories that the BBC or whoever is in charge of the UK acts purposely sends rubbish acts as they don't want to host it as from a financial point of view it will cost more to host than it would make back.

I'm not sure about that but I have heard the some other counties do as they simply can not afford to host it.

If that was the case I would sooner send an act what would do well but not good enough to win say good enough to make the top 10

I have heard theories that the BBC or whoever is in charge of the UK acts purposely sends rubbish acts as they don't want to host it as from a financial point of view it will cost more to host than it would make back.

I'm not sure about that but I have heard the some other counties do as they simply can not afford to host it.

If that was the case I would sooner send an act what would do well but not good enough to win say good enough to make the top 10

• Like 2

UK are shit each year now, remember that group that did some kind of "flying" theme 2 or 3 years ago? Yeah, that was shit.

SCOOCH!!!! FLYING THE FLAG!!!!! that was dreadful that song <_<

I like the idea of Muse tho :P bit of Knights of Cydonia rockin Eurovision

Oh, i think it´s good pop, some unknowen songs and a lot of them are actualy a bit better than the original versions. The Songs she chose on the casting show basicly were all unknowen to the greter public, theres defnetly more music love in this girl than just a "i wanne be a pop star, gigel" - i think her first real studio album will be a good pice of pop music. Her Producer is good aswell - he was behind the following of Germanys Eurovision Enteries and is the creator of this years casting sucksess. (wich was essentialy like Pop idol just without all the bullshit)

Max Mutzke (8th in EuroVision)

Stefan Raab (the producer) himself (5th in Eurovision)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuXLcXn4l2k

Guildo Horn (7th in Eurovision)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F821UDJH_-Q

He also did his own casting show before wen he was not alowed to do one for Eurovision, this girl won.

Stefanie Heinzmann

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

That was good fun. Lena was class, and more than a little bit cute. Have heard her song stuck in my head all day, so I'm pretty happy with the result. Liked Romania and the Ukraine too. Britain's song was shit - Pete Waterman's lost his touch, and I've never seen a more bland singer.

I still can't get over the fact that one of the cheesiest, shittiest entries there, Serbia, were performing a song written for them by Goran Bregovic. I mean seriously, what the fuck?

I can't one-up this enough.