Official Premier League 2010/11 thread

I wish I knew more Chelsea fans socially so that I could commiserate with them on a weekly basis. My work has an abundance of Spurs, Liverpool and United fans, and a sprinkling of several others (Arsenal, Newcastle, Sunderland, Watford, Darlington, etc.), but no other Chelsea. And there don't seem to be any who frequent this thread either.

In any case, the gist from the 'terraces' (or, um, seats?) is that it's increasingly difficult to imagine which of the four teams above us might be capable of screwing up to a sufficient degree to let us grab a Champions League place this season. And I'm slowly beginning to agree with them.

The league's so tight this year, if you get back on form I'm sure someone's bound to drop points. There's a point between Chelsea and Tottenham; and while I would love to see Tottenham take the fourth spot, and Chelsea to miss out of a Champions League place, I know that as soon as Chelsea get back on form they'll be a force to be recokoned with.

The big games between the top 5 are going to havily influence the league this year. And I love that the league's so tight. Literally anything's possible at this point in time.

Jesus Christ our game with Wigan was some dull shit. We looked comfortable, but if we play like that against West Ham we'll lose. Couple of tidy headers from our centre-backs though. Fucking Leon Best came on and delivered a miss and a half, so far off target I gave it applause.

I'm not sure whether what's more frustrating, the lack of anything resembling consistently acceptable final balls from our wide men (Gutierrez and Routledge - I know we've been playing Barton on the right recently) or the fact that we only ever seem to have one person in the box (even when we play with two up front, go figure).

Each to their own YI, I thought it was a nice comfortable performance, where on another day (or if Andy Carroll was fit) we'd have got a hatful. Shola missed an absolute sitter in the first 2 minutes, and two headers off the bar, pretty convincing away from home.

You're right, the service from Routledge was poor after he came on, but both he and Jonas ripped their fullbacks to shreds and won a fair few free kicks each allowing us to get the big lads up. I know its not ideal to rely as much on setpieces, but bearing in mind we are a promoted team and potentially our most creative player has been missing for pretty much the whole season, I'm well chuffed with reaching the transfer window in the position we are, with the results we've got along the way.

And to say you're harsh on Best is an understatemen. Great run, beats his man, ball hits ruddy great divot in the rugby field, Best nearly kills himself trying to reach it!

Edit: If Sevilla stays as it is, Chelsea have lost me £40 on my accumulater. Stupid dead certs!

Edited by Colly

So earlier I heard a Villa fan on the radio in the car say that they out-played Chelsea, were clearly the better team and that Houlier is the man to take Villa forward. The guy hosting the show was clearly not trying to disagree with him, but obviously knew he was talking a load of shit. Villa played well and my hat goes off to them for earning a point at the Bridge (my hat goes off to any team that does it after seeing us get ripped apart 6-0 on the opening day there), but seriously, this guy is one extreme headcase if that was Villa's season-defining game and Houlier will get them Europe. Either he's very, very optimistic or clinically insane.

And I watched some extended highlights of our game from yesterday and reflected a little; Vidic should've walked late on. It probably wouldn't have done us any favors seeing as it was in the last 6 or 7 minutes, but the guy is one dirty bastard, had been roughing-up and pulling people all game and then lunged in at Tchoyi when United were in control and 2-1 up, coming off the ground and not getting the ball. How does that go un-punished? Baddar was saying earlier that United get scrutinized for every challenge, but that handball incident, which I admit was a penalty, was the only thing that could've gone against us yesterday, aswell as maybe Brunt's late clip on Rooney. But then you had Neville's challenge on Dorrans, Fabio smashing Thomas from behind, Ferdinand bringing Thomas down for the penalty and Vidic whacking Tchoyi? Come on, United deserved every bit of scrutiny they got yesterday.

To be honest, I thought the yellow Fabio got was harsh.

He slid in (and got the ball) but it became a challenge from behind when Thomas decided to turn after Fabio had already committed. It looked 100x worse than it was.

Looking ahead, I hope Arsenal and Man City draw on Weds, but my head says an Arsenal win, which will mean City will panic and spend £100m in January to desperately try to claw back what could be a 9pt deficit before long.

The thing is, City's target wasn't really the title this year, they went into this season wanting a Champions League place and have found themselves in a much better position.

Now if they believe that they're in the title race they might go the extra mile and at least give it a go instead of aiming for fourth; because if it all fails there's a great chance they they'll finish at least 3rd in the table, and at most just behind United.

So earlier I heard a Villa fan on the radio in the car say that they out-played Chelsea, were clearly the better team and that Houlier is the man to take Villa forward. The guy hosting the show was clearly not trying to disagree with him, but obviously knew he was talking a load of shit. Villa played well and my hat goes off to them for earning a point at the Bridge (my hat goes off to any team that does it after seeing us get ripped apart 6-0 on the opening day there), but seriously, this guy is one extreme headcase if that was Villa's season-defining game and Houlier will get them Europe. Either he's very, very optimistic or clinically insane.

You've not met Summ before? :shifty:

To be honest, I thought the yellow Fabio got was harsh.

He slid in (and got the ball) but it became a challenge from behind when Thomas decided to turn after Fabio had already committed. It looked 100x worse than it was.

Looking ahead, I hope Arsenal and Man City draw on Weds, but my head says an Arsenal win, which will mean City will panic and spend £100m in January to desperately try to claw back what could be a 9pt deficit before long.

It was harsh in all honesty, but it could have been dangerous had he caught more of JT than he did. Comitting himself when Thomas was in a position where he was liable to turn and cut in (something he needs to stop doing if he isn't going to the pull the trigger earlier) and in that position (edge of the area, I believe) was kind of reckless. I agree that it may have been harsh, but it was definately a foul, and to be fair to Foy, who had a god-awful game, he made the right call in awarding a free kick.

...But Thomas sold it like gold :pervert:

Well of course, every challenge from behind nowadays is a FK, and usually a booking - it's just as Fabio slid in, it wasn't a challenge from behind until Thomas turned.

SSN reporting that West Brom are looking to get Macheda on loan - would make sense. Utd players have gone there before, and it isn't a million miles away from Manchester, so it's not like he'd have to move or anything.

It depends where he lives in Manchester Baddar; our training ground is like 15 minutes away from our actual ground, so he'd have to travel 70/80 miles every other day. Mind you, with the M1 literally being next to The Hawthorns, it wouldn't be too bad. But money talks (though were hardly gonna offer to pay his full wage seeing as he'd probably be amongst our squads top earners with 20/30k per week) and hopefully he'll realise the oppurtunities to advance his career are more common than abroad in a lower-quality league.

Oh, and Macheda's agent sounds a bit of a twat, he's always wanting him to bugger off to Italy for an obscene amount of money for a youngster. I've heard of him wanting to go to Lazio, Parma, Sampadoria and Lecce, next thing you'll know he'll be lining up with Ibrahimovic, Robinho and Ronaldinho at AC - thats if Ronaldinho doesn't make the dream move to Blackburn that the media wants us to believe oh so badly.