Superman: Man of Steel ***SPOILERS***

livid

Maybe 5 years ago John Hamm would have been a good choice, but he's a little on the old side now, isn't he? Guy's like 40.

30-35 is really the best age for Superman, he needs to be old enough to have some gravitas but young enough to still look youthful and dashing.

I think that's my beef with the movie attempts post Christopher Reeve: these guys all look like kids to me. Again, I've never been a Supes devotee, but my impression (and ideal image of him) has always been a man older than I. Now, as I get older, that image MUST change, but even seeing people only 5 years older than me playing Superman just makes them look like babies in Superman pajamas to me. I'd rather have an actor who's just a tad old for the role than someone I feel is playing dress-up.

I remember when the ill-fated '90's Nicholas Cage Superman film was being mooted; I always thought Paul Gross (Canadian actor - most famous for his role as Const. Benton Fraser in 'Due South') would be good in the role. He's probably too old for it now, but back then I thought he had the look, physical presence and acting chops to carry it off. Hell Fraser was basically a big boy-scout...'Truth, Justice and the Canadian Way'...? Sadly not to be!

Whoever they pick I just hope that they keep the iconic score over the opening credits. Gives me goose-bumps whenever I hear it for some reason, even in the couple of times it's played in the background in Smallville.

• Like 1

Yeah, they'll almost certainly keep that, it's a lock. It's part of the character, as much as the suit or something. The fact that it's the best superhero 'theme' ever doesn't hurt.

I just hope they don't beat it into the ground like Superman Returns did. I love that theme, it's amazing, but not when it's being played every ten minutes.

Really, the entire problem with Superman Returns was that it was trying too hard to be a love letter to Superman I and II. Brandon Routh I actually really loved in the role (more as Superman than Clark Kent, because in the latter he felt like a Christopher Reeve impersonator whereas in the former he felt like fucking Superman), but it could have been so much better if it had stood on its own.

Agreed. We do really need a full reboot, whereas Superman Returns was sort of half a sequel, half a reboot, all confusing.

Don't necessarily spend an entire movie telling the origin story, but touch on it. Let's see Clark Kent, discovering who he is, let's see him arriving in Metropolis, let's see Superman being born. The best telling of the origin story in any medium was Superman For All Seasons, so they should feel free to steal as much of that as they like.

Ben Affleck was reportedly producer Christopher Nolan's first choice to direct his Superman reboot.

According to Deadline, Affleck was offered the chance to helm the superhero picture by Warner Bros on the suggestion of Nolan but chose to decline the approach.

Affleck picked up an Academy Award in 1998 for co-writing Good Will Hunting with Matt Damon and his since directed the critically acclaimed dramas Gone Baby Gone and The Town. The latter, a Warner Bros-backed movie, topped the US box office last month.

Affleck portrayed former Superman star George Reeves in 2006 biopic Hollywoodland.

Darren Aronofsky, Duncan Jones, Matt Reeves and Zack Snyder have also been rumoured for the director's chair on the Nolan-steered Superman project.

For a moment there I misread that and thought Affleck was first choice to star in it and I panicked. Phew. He's not actually an awful director, Gone Baby Gone is a pretty decent movie, but I'm not sure 2 movies and a hugely-tenuous link to Superman make him the best choice to direct what needs to be a great film, in order to save the franchise and all.

Gone Baby Gone and The Town are both exceptional films, but it would've been taking Affleck way out of his comfort zone. Though, I think he'd definitely cough up the goods. He'd bring some interesting character relationship dynamics to the project, for sure.

I doubt he has anything to do with the script, but as a director he has the job of translating that script to screen which is very important story-wise. On paper it could be incredible, but visually it'll probably be tepid and boring.

David S. Goyer and the Nolan brothers are writing/have finished the script so I don't believe Snyder will have anything to do with it.

It'll probably help the film as it was Goyer who also worked on Batman Begins and Snyder can make films look great.

Anxious to see the cast now, all I know is that apparently Brandon Routh definitely wont be returning.

I really don't understand the dislike Snyder is getting, I loved 300, really enjoyed the remake of Dawn of the Dead and I quite liked Watchmen. I really just enjoy his visual style, the glossy comic book image is great and I think it'll work very well with Superman, who needs that kind of shine, what with how prominent the whole Red and Blue thing is with his character. As far as I'm aware the only things he's only ever 'written' (because obviously Miller did the work for 300) are 300 and Sucker Punch? I felt the dialouge and story of 300 was awesome and you can't really judge him on Sucker Punch... as it's not even out yet.

Nolan + Snyder + Goyer should equal for a fantastic Superman film. I have faith in all three men when it comes to their fields of excellence (which, for Nolan, is pretty much everything.) and I love Snyders style.

I'm actually really disappointed that Routh won't be returning, I've grown fond of him after his stint on Chuck and looking back, he was a perfectly acceptable Superman. I even semi-brought him as Clark Kent, though honestly apart from Reeves and Welling (who ONLY plays Kent, really), I've always thought any other attempts at Kent haven't been great. It's like RK said, they're very much two different characters and it's going to be a bitch to find someone that can portray Superman and then also mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent.

I can't really think of anyone that could play him though. Jon Hamm crossed my mind once, he's got kind of an All-American Superman style look about him, but he may be a bit too old to play the Superman that I imagine they'll go for. And I'm not sure how well he could pull of Kent. His simple yet loveable character in 30 Rock could be a bit of a case for that, but he's just a little too handsome for it I think.