Football Manager 2011

Dan

The art of losing accidentally-on-purpose in the Carling Cup Quarter Final every season is one I'm beginning to master. "Oh no, Spurs knocked me out 1-0. Now I won't have a two-legged semi final against Manchester City clogging up my new year schedule. WOE IS ME."

Annoyed with my Europa League draw though. Last year I was beaten by Porto in the 1st knockout round, but that was okay as that was my board's expectation. Now they expect me to reach the 2nd knockout round, and my 1st round draw is...Inter Milan. Fuckberrys.

It's currently mid-December and I'm well in the hunt for a Champions League place. I'm actually 2nd in the table, but it's really close between 1st and 6th, with Arsenal, United, City, Everton and Spurs in the mix. Chelsea have dropped off to 7th or 8th, while Liverpool have made some headway since their awful start and are now up to 11th.

Should probably go looking for a full-back in January - most likely a right-back. My 4-3-3 has spluttered a bit in recent weeks and the averageness of my right-backs Brendan Moloney and Nathaniel Clyne probably isn't helping (although constantly rotating the line-up due to fixture congestion is no doubt the main reason). I'm happy keeping Ciaran Clark on the left for the time being. Will see if there's anyone good available around the £6-7m mark.

My hotstreak of avoiding big teams in cup runs on Football Manager continues with Man City, drawing Notts Forrest in the Semi-Final. Considering my weakened team just thumped Aston VIlla 5-0 away in the FA Cup, I fancy my chances!

My Bradford game so far has been rather ridiculous, managed to shore up the team a little with some free signings and by become Liverpool's feeder club. We get destroyed by at least two goals in every away game but can't stop scoring when we play at The Parade, our current record is 6-1-6. Thought we were going to get an away win against Accrington a while back, two up in the first ten minutes, they pulled it back to two all, 3-2 us, then 4-3 them, we pull it back to 4-4 with a couple of minutes to go and then hit the post again at the start of injury time, then they go up the other end and score the winner! We played them in the Johnstone Paint Trophy a few weeks later at our place and beat them 5-1 with a weakened team, crazy.

My Bradford game so far has been rather ridiculous, managed to shore up the team a little with some free signings and by become Liverpool's feeder club. We get destroyed by at least two goals in every away game but can't stop scoring when we play at The Parade, our current record is 6-1-6. Thought we were going to get an away win against Accrington a while back, two up in the first ten minutes, they pulled it back to two all, 3-2 us, then 4-3 them, we pull it back to 4-4 with a couple of minutes to go and then hit the post again at the start of injury time, then they go up the other end and score the winner! We played them in the Johnstone Paint Trophy a few weeks later at our place and beat them 5-1 with a weakened team, crazy.

Your team is too attack minded playing away, create a version of your home tactic that is more defensive and uses the counter attack if your team has pace.

I always have a home and an away tactic unless my team reputation is good enough that home teams line up defensively against me.

• Like 2

I too am going to do that, at Catania, so far in my three away games against Roma, Inter and Spurs. We've lost all three, scored twice and conceded seven. :-/

While I haven't lost a home game yet.

Had a really positive start to my second Mansfield season. Signed ten players in the summer, six on free transfers and four loan signings. The media predicted that we'd finish 22nd and a quarter of the way through the season we're sitting second, two points off of the top. I still want this to be the game where I don't get attatched and start moving around clubs, but no one seems to want me at the moment. But if I can keep my form up and get promoted for a second season I should get a bunch of manager points and put myself in a good position to get a job come next season.

After being overly cocky about my League Cup tie agains Forrest I struggled massively. I drew 1-1 at The City Ground and then was drawing 1-1 at home until the 80th minute when Carlos Tevez realised he's miles better than everyone and netted a quickfire brace to put me in the final. I go the board room then only to discover the board don't give a shit about the League Cup, fantastic.

I'm not doing good in the league at all but it's insanely tight. It might just be a bit of paranoia but is the top half of this table not exceptionally close for this time in the season?

leaguetablec.jpg

My game in hand is away at Chelsea too, so it's not looking good.

Your board normally bear in mind that your facing a team like Inter Milan and are little bit more forgiving if you don't meet expectations.

See, I'm still used to older games (FM08?) where they forgave NOTHING. :shifty:

I started a journeyman game and decided to take the first job I was offered. Lo and behold, after a year of failed applications, me, a twenty-six year old Sunday League footballer is offered the chance to take over from Sven Goran Eriksson at newly relegated Leicester City. Not a bad team to begin with. :)

Edited by ADG

302031043.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1305844996&Signature=%2B8%2BPuazgXnTzeqbCCZywRH14FZM%3D

So me, Nigel Pearson, Alan Irvine and Miroslav Klose... This is the best bunch Real could hope for!? :mellow:

On closer inspection.

Klose coaches at Madrid.

Pearson brought Birmingham City to the Champions League, finished runners up with Liverpool and also managed Arsenal.

Irvine has managed Spurs.

I've won the Norwegian Premier League. :shifty:

I just left Viking for Catania (and this is the second time I've been linked to a job since, I was linked to Arsenal after only a few weeks in Italy). I probably won't if it comes up. I only loaded La Liga, and forgot to load the Segunda Division (sp), I generally don't like managing in leagues if I haven't loaded more than one level.