• The Original Series
    • The Animated Series
    • The Next Generation
    • Deep Space Nine
    • Voyager
    • Enterprise
    • The films are better than all of them
    • None, they all suck

My vote goes to DS9. I loved the mass amount of characters, all of who got their moments to progress and become more three dimensional. The fact that they stayed in one place for most of the series (after moving a few million kilometres to protect the wormhole in the pilot) helped this. The first three seasons were good but it got better as it went on, especially once the Dominion storyline got going. The Dominion War was possible the best piece of Star Trek TV ever made, though I wish they had waited longer to return to DS9 after abandoning it, they were barely gone ten episodes! Winning back DS9 should have been the season finale of season 6. Granted the early seasons CGI is horriblly outdated by today's standards but that can be forgiven. Watching the first season brings back so many memories.

What do you prefer?

TNG, spawned so much awesome, Data, Worf, Picard, Riker's beard.

And I loved the subtlety of the serial nature while the actors are best as an ensemble than any of the other series.

DS9 was cool, but the first 3 series were a bit dull at times and once it got better as a serial sci-fi drama it did get awesome, though that may just have been when Worf came in.

I have a soft spot for Enterprise, but I can definitely can't stand Voyager nowadays, I watch 10 minutes of an episode and turn it off.

For me it's Next Gen, but I'm not going to argue with anyone who picks DS9 or the original series.

TNG was the first TV Show of any kind that I got into which wasn't intended for children, and between 8-11 I was totally Star Trek mad, had a room full of ships and action figures and pictures and books and it was because of TNG. Its safe to say the show is ALWAYS going to hold a soft-spot with me for that.

On a serious note, TNG had great single episodes; some great Science-Fiction pieces and some awesome lead characters (Picard, Data, Riker, Geordi and Worf) who you always knew you were going to have fun with. Problem being there was no arc, no-one grew. They faced life-changing events in one episode and it was all forgotten next week (OK, with slim exceptions). Point being, say Geordi in Season 3 is the same as he is in Season 7, exactly. It does make it a bloody easy show to just sit down and randomly watch an episode though.

DS9 had a shite start, then got good. Few characters were instantly likeable, but fuck they had arcs. They grew as people. Relationships changed and evolved and the show was dark. It was also bloody excellent - Season Five is about perfect in every possibly way. It also had a fantastic set of recurring support characters (Garak and Gul Dukat > .)

I tried watching Classic Trek when I was about 10 and couldn't get into it at all (though loved McCoy. McCoy is awesome), its only when I re-watched the first season last year that I appreciated it so much. The Gorn are the best species to only ever be in one episode (of a series that counts >_>), I love them.

I don't give a fuck about the other Treks.

Loving the sheer blitz that DS9 is laying down at the moment.

And lol, "the films are better than all of them" option. Stokerina and I briefly mused over possibly trying a Star Trek movie marathon the other day. We decided that because the first film is soooo awful, it would be an endurance trial to start with. Then, when we were getting tired towards the end, we'd have to deal with Insurrection and Nemesis back-to-back, which would kill us before we could finish. :shifty:

I don't get the hate for Insurrection and Nemesis at all. I'll concede Insurrection feels more like a feature length episode then a film, but I've seen it a fair few times and still enjoy it. As for Nemesis, that was a great send-off movie. I also nearly cried like a little school-girl at the Data/Geordi goodbye scene, and I haven't cried at a film since I was six.

I liked Insurrection, even if it was a downgrade from First Contact which is the best TNG film. The problem I had with it was the whole 'you can't move 600 people to help 600 Billion' arguement that spurred Picard onto his little rebellion. If they were proposing to kill the Baku then yes, it is wrong and it should be stopped but they were talking about moving people who had chosen a planet at random to settle on in the first place, they were not indigenous to that planet and the benefits of moving them far outweighed the risks. Also the 'Data goe beserk and has to be stopped' storyline had so much more potential and should have been allowed to run more than 10 minutes.

Nemesis was the 'Final Frontier' of the TNG films, it was stupid with a climax that was easy to see coming a mile off (there was a review that had an exchange between Data and Geordie over the lack of transporters which highlighted the problem with Data's Heroic Sacrifice i.e. tht even without the main transporters there was still the ones on the shuttle that could be used since, you know, THEY'RE ON A SEPERATE SHIP AND WOULD BE UNAFFECTED BY THE DAMAGE TO ENTERPRISE). Plus B4 annoyed the fuck out of me and I love Spiner as an actor.

And lol, "the films are better than all of them" option. Stokerina and I briefly mused over possibly trying a Star Trek movie marathon the other day. We decided that because the first film is soooo awful, it would be an endurance trial to start with. Then, when we were getting tired towards the end, we'd have to deal with Insurrection and Nemesis back-to-back, which would kill us before we could finish. :shifty:

I have friends who did this. They watched them all from The Motion Picture to the new movie. It took them a year for various reasons though.

While DS9 did have a slow start, TNG didn't exactly start off awesome either and as much as I love TNG, I have to give the nod to DS9. While TNG had Picard, Worf, Data, Riker and Jordi, it also had Wesley Crusher (even my immense love for Wil Wheaton cannot override how much Wesley sucked).

DS9 had Sisko, Bashir, Worf, O'Brien, Odo, Kira, Dax and the fucking awesomeness of the Dominion Wars. Voyager started out okay but wound up sucking and probably killed the Borg to a degree.

Enterprise I just could never get into, I just kept seeing Scott Bakula and wanting him to be Sam Beckett! And I was never that into TOS.

I liked most of the original cast movies (I have them all in a box set), I still haven't seen all of the later TNG movies. I'd have loved a DS9 movie, and it always kinda annoyed me that Janeway got a bit in one of the movies and Sisko never did!

Yeah, I can't defend B4! And I honestly never thought about the shuttle craft transporters before. I now feel incredibly stupid.

Though, meh, I still enjoy it as a farewell to the TNG crew.

There's only one option - TNG

TNG was everything that the classic star trek should have been and so much more. It created the iconic ST world we all think of today, brought in all the new character ideas and it had Picard.

DS9 was a great series in it's own right but it really doesn't give anything new other than the station. Also the title is star TREK, DS9 didn't trek very far.

I've always had a soft spot for DS9, particularly after Worf brought his awesomeness along. I think TNG was excellent in its own right, but whoever said that there was no character growth was spot on (with the possible exception of Data) and that's why I always preferred DS9 even though they focused less on travel. The character dynamics more than made up for the lack of "trekking" in my mind. As much as I like the vast majority of the characters in TNG and can't really think of anything horribly negative to say about it, I still think DS9 at its best smokes TNG at its best. Voyager was the drizzling shits so I stopped watching early on and never got into the original series or Enterprise.

I would answer with the movies, but The Motion Picture is my least favourite movie of all time. I enjoy the rest, even the bad ones, but I cannot watch The Motion Picture. Insurrection and Nemesis are bad, but they are not the epic, long train wreck that The Motion Picture is.

I will go with TOS. I really like DS9 and TNG, but I've never been able to sit and watch Enterprise that much and I really dislike Voyager. I've seen some episodes of TOS like Balance of Terror multiple times and it is still interesting to me.