EWB's 51 Favorite Singers 2010: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Maybe it's also YOUR taste in music that makes it impossible to appreciate a vocalist singing heavy metal?

Ah, okay, right then. It's not your obsession with metal that's the problem; it's MY obsession with NOT metal. Yeah, well, your mom.

• Like 2

I highly doubt he will show up on this list, but everybody looking for a great singer should look no further than Bobby Blue Bland.

As for Sousa's question, I'm willing to bet the vast majority of the metalheads on this forum are probably teenagers. Usually people in their teens listen to one kind of music and that's it, and damn it, they will fight to the death that what they listen to is the best.

Hell, there was a pretty lengthy run for about 8 years where all I listened to was KISS and pretty much nothing else. Now, I only listen to them if I'm going to a concert. Other than that I really listen to a little bit of everything, but have really only been listening to the blues the past year or so.

Whilst I know you've answered it, from what I've seen, most of the people voting metal don't really fall into the teenagers category.

Maybe it's also YOUR taste in music that makes it impossible to appreciate a vocalist singing heavy metal?

Ah, okay, right then. It's not your obsession with metal that's the problem; it's MY obsession with NOT metal. Yeah, well, your mom.

To be honest though, the way you were talking about it was a bit odd. I'm probably primarily into metal, but doesn't suddenly mean I don't appreciate other kinds of music, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who covers this category. I mean, I'm ripping Death to my MP3 player, but also The Beatles, Depeche Mode, The Pogues and some classical music.

Admittedly, this may have been said quoting you, Sousa, but it might have been more in reference to something GoGo said, I can't be bothered to go back and check >_>

To be fair, by this point I'm kind of just being a dick about it. :shifty:

Guessed as much :P

One of my favourite quotes I read on a forum was by a guy at metalreview.com, who said something like 'the true metallers rarely listen to metal'.....sounds a bit stupid, but it was in the context of the variety of music that aspects of metal turn up in, or that turn up in metal from other genres, so giving easy access in to much broader types of music. Drum and Bass, Jazz, Classical are all obvious moves depending on what kinda metal people enjoy.

Enough with your debating about the validity of metal singers and what not. This man is the greatest singer of ours or any generation.

And the Blind Tie is the best thing to ever happen on a list, I always said Ray and Stevie were inseparable and I couldn't ever hope to identify which one is better.

Should I know who Heart are?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bt_-R5LInU

Maybe it's an American thing or something, but I thought most people knew about Heart.

Heart were the original big thing to come out of Seattle. You know, before Mother Love Bone became Mookie Blaylock and then changed their name. Before Kurt Cobain became a wasted-out junkie. Before Soundgarden signed with a major label. And before Alice in Chains decided to change their image and sound.

I like James Brown, but his singing's kind of secondary to the music.

I don't understand this comment. You couldn't put any voice or just any half-decent soul singer with the same songs and have the same success; Brown's not the most technically amazing singer but his energy, showmanship, and yes, his voice (his sing-shouting at the start of "Super Bad" is fucking fantastic) are key to why he's an icon.

Probably just horrible wording on my part...his voice is obviously part and parcel of the whole thing, but what makes him special is his showmanship, and what I enjoy about his music is more the rhythm section than the vocals. I'm not saying he's bad at all, far from it, just that his voice isn't the main thing I enjoy about his music, so he wouldn't have really made my list, I suppose.

Rest of the list? Pretty underwhelming.

I'm kind of "over" Nine Inch Nails. I liked them an awful lot for a long time, and they were great live, but I never really listen to them any more, and Trent's voice is really kind of whiny. It works with a lot of what he does, but it's really nothing to write home about.

Brian Johnson? See what I wrote for Bon Scott.

Geddy Lee? Bwahaha. He's just ridiculous. I do not "get" Rush at all, and his voice is silly.

Tom Jones has a fantastic voice, absolutely incredible. The only downside is that he does get into the habit of singing a lot of songs in exactly the same way, but fuck it, when it works it works.

Madonna. Meh. Her voice isn't great, and was never really the main thing about her. She made a few great pop songs, but the vocals were never anything special.

You won't hear a single complaint about Ray Charles from me, and Stevie Wonder's pretty special too.

so, remind me again why basically everyone is defending/arguing against the placements? this isn't about skill, it's about personal preference. maybe i just answered my own question there.

anyways, the only shocker i'm seeing is Hayley Williams being on this list. she has a nice voice and all, but i mean.. what? damn you johnny perfect.

does this mean zooey is on the list? :shifty: i'm not even gonna touch the issue about reznor being on this list, i think we all know my personal bias towards the man and his music. i'm content with his placement. who was the other person that voted for him?

Heart kicks seven shades of ass, and I will hear no argument otherwise. If you're not familiar with their music, which is now spanning its FIFTH decade, you should really do yourself the favor and go listen. Also, if you ever have a chance to see them live, do not pass it up.

• Like 2