The Dark Knight Rises

apsham

Why can't I remember her death? :/

How can you not remember someone being jumping reverse roundhouse kicked off Wayne Tower by Morgan Freeman?

• Like 4

Why can't I remember her death? :/

Case in point, probably.

It was very "oh, she just died, didn't she. Okay then." I felt the same way about Harvey Dent in TDK, though.

There was at least something poetic in that where he fell and landed with one side of his face up. I actually forget which.

In this one, she got in a bloodless car wreck and then basically explained why the good guys' plan, which if they tried it would've failed, would fail and that they needed to come up with another idea.

Should've opted for a more chatty stabbing metaphor...

It was the typical "Speak and die" that you'd expect Nolan to avoid, and to actually have people around me audibly laugh at her death was unfortunate. Although I wasn't a fan of her involvement in the film at all and would've preferred it without her. And yes, I'm very much for no more spoiler tags, always best to air on the side of caution though.

I agree that Talia's death didn't look very good, at least from what I remember. I'm aware it was a 12A rated movie so they couldn't be too graphic with her death, but at least have her forehead bleeding from a fatal head wound or something, or something impaled in her back or side

Yeah, dunno if we should keep up with the spoiler tags or not but I finally just saw this last night.

Loved it. I did think that the first hour dragged a little bit at times and it took a while to get going, but after that it just flew by. The acting was brilliant all around, the action was top notch, and Bain in particular was just fantastic.

Regarding the ending - as the movie progressed I did get the sense that Bruce Wayne was going to sacrifice himself and make the willing choice to go out a hero. The auto pilot thing I felt was just to show that he COULD have spared himself but had reached the point where he chose not to. Even with the Alfred bit at the end, I had the sense that it was just his imagination.

The only reason to doubt that it wasn't an imagination is the fact that Selina was there - and I don't really know why Alfred would have automatically imagined Selina. But she's a gorgeous woman and Alfred's fantasy was to see Wayne with a gorgeous woman. It's Nolan, so I think that the ending was designed in such a way that it's open to interpretation. Most people I've talked to are rather snobbish about the ending and pretty much ridicule anybody who doesn't think Wayne lived. But whatever.

For the long term future of the franchise, nobody's touching Nolan's trilogy. It will be attempted and people will go, but it's just a very, very tough act to follow.

We're not doing spoiler tags. I do think it was good to use Talia al Ghul and I liked the initial twist (I knew she was going to be Talia pretty much the moment they cast her, but with the way the movie was going I sort of anticipated that she was working against Bane, not with him), but on the whole she wasn't an incredibly convincing character on her own merits up until that point and that's a problem.

I don't see the whole "ending is Alfred's imagination" thing going down as anything near reality, but eh.

And yeah. I knew that Talia was supposed to be in it - but I didn't know her level of involvement and I stayed really far away from news about the production, so I figured that she would be in a flashback or something. When she didn't show up over halfway through the movie I pretty much had it figured out, but was never too sure.

To reference a topic from earlier, wasn't the Inception not an ambiguous ending?

If you do research the ending can be explained and there is nothing left to the imagination. The answer (to whether it's a dream or not), I believe, is in the film itself.

And yeah, I would have felt ripped off if there wasn't a clear ending for Bruce Wayne. The way they did it was perfect. No reason to confuse the audience. Inception it fit with the theme of the film. Wouldn't have fit with a Batman movie.

Edited by Universal

That ending was total shit and an absolute lie. Don't show a a clock with 4 seconds left, then show batman IN the vehicle, then show an explosion after watching fly away in 4 3 2 1...

What makes it worse is that we are supposed to be all sad and stuff. But some idiot thinks "Hey, we can't kill batman, hes BATMAN" so fan service end clip.

But none of that compares to "You have about 5 months before this deteriorates into an explosion" About 5 months to the FUCKING SECOND.

Guys, it was a fun action film but it is so full of plot holes 60's batman made more sense.

• Like 1

To reference a topic from earlier, wasn't the Inception not an ambiguous ending?

If you do research the ending can be explained

If you have to research it, that would be amibiguous. If I leave a movie going "I better get on the net and have someone explain that to me" that's pretty fucking ambiguous.

• Like 1

If you do research the ending can be explained

If you have to research it, that would be amibiguous. If I leave a movie going "I better get on the net and have someone explain that to me" that's pretty fucking ambiguous.

You edited the part out where I said the answer is in the movie. The only reason you have to research it is because the audience is tricked into thinking whether the top falls over matters or not and most fell for it.

Edited by Universal
  • Like 2

Honestly, what I think Christopher Nolan realizes is that the Batman franchise isn't the type of movie for an ambiguous ending. Especially considering he said this was the end of his story. It isn't Memento or The Prestige or Inception, where he's making that type of movie where he wants people debating the movie. It's Batman, it's a mass appeal audience and people really don't want to see Bruce Wayne dead or have to debate if he's dead or not. It's a summer blockbuster movie, so what's wrong with everything being wrapped up neatly?