The Shows Mostly Formerly Affiliated with NBC's Thursday Night Comedy Block Thread **SPOILERS**

GoGo Yubari

I sent my younger brother a text to a tell him and he basically echoed that statement - everyone he knows likes and watches it and I can't really say differently. I just don't know if it's people's first priority on that day in that slot, because BBT (inexplicably) owns 8 o clock and owns 18-49. I always assumed NBC was aware that the fans were there and was keeping it around long enough to sell into syndication and because the season sets did well.

Is syndication really worth that much anymore? I mean with so many alternate ways of viewing shows, like Netflix, Hulu, the broadcasting website etc..is syndication really as valuable as it used to it?

Is syndication really worth that much anymore? I mean with so many alternate ways of viewing shows, like Netflix, Hulu, the broadcasting website etc..is syndication really as valuable as it used to it?

Maybe not as valuable as it once was, but recent shows that went into syndication are making significant coin. HIMYM cut a deal with Lifetime for $750,000 per syndicated episode. F/X pays 850K per episode of Two & a Half Men. 30 Rock gets slightly less than that between their deals with Comedy Central and WGN with ratings only ~20% higher than Community's at best. As long as there are secondary cable channels and local affiliates willing to pay out for programming, syndication will do good business.

It was a bit of the Poehler pregnancy but for the most part it was just NBC being NBC and they didn't start airing episodes until midseason last year. Still, from what I remember, Parks & Rec was always part of their plan for midseason, they just didn't include it in the Fall and people were upset.

So it's quite a bit different than this situation with Community.

I was thinking, though, that Community seems like one of those shows that would have a good shot at ending up on a different channel if NBC ends up axing it so...there's that.

They've already done about as many episodes as Arrested Development. It sucks because this season's just starting to catch its stride, and I'd really like the show to get a fourth season so they can graduate, but they've had a good run so far. Plus, NBC hasn't really set the world on fire with new shows, they'll end up cancelling something after two episodes and bringing Community and it's small but devoted fanbase back as a midseason replacement anyways.

Edited by pizzamonkey

BBT destroys Community? :/ This makes me a little sad. I thought it may win out, but not enough to get Community to get pissed around with. I only discovered Community this year, watch the first season in a day, the second in a couple of days and being up to date with the third. BBT got too much in the third series when "HEY LOOK, SHELDON'S A DICK!" became the theme. Plus, Sheldon's female cyborg version of him non-girlfriend-girlfriend was so annoying. Community is still fresh.

Plus, Donald Glover.

At the very least, this season will be aired in full. Here's hoping DirecTV swoops in and saves it like they did with Friday Night Lights to give us a fourth and final season. Four years is all the show needs to reach its logical conclusion, so it could be one of TV's biggest happy endings for a little show that could and there's a lot of things on its side.

-One more season could get it to the number of episodes needed for syndication, which should be appealing to NBC and Sony.

-NBC has a decent track record with shows that have a small but passionate fanbase like Scrubs, Chuck and the aforementioned Friday Night Lights.

-It's not like NBC has anything else to put on.

I think this is one of those shows where nerding out, signing petitions, using #SixSeasonsAndAMovie on Twitter, sending in purple pens, etc. might be enough to save the day.

Of course if NBC does cancel it, you have my full permission to take Jay Leno hostage and force them to change their minds.

Oh and Big Bang Theory is the worst show ever. Yes, it's even worse than Whitney.

• Like 1

Honestly, I can't get on either side of the hyperbole re: Big Bang Theory. Judging from the first season in no way should it really be good enough to be the juggernaut it's become (Jim Parsons seems like a great dude and he's funny but I cringed at him beating Steve Carell in Carell's last year of eligibility), but it's also in no way the worst show ever, unless it gets really bad in subsequent seasons. It's just sort of a standard sitcom, decent light entertainment but in no way on par with the best sitcoms of the last decade.

Big bang theory is perfectly acceptable background noise, and that's a big part of its appeal. I've seen maybe ten episodes, all in syndication, but I feel like I could watch next Thursdays episode and follow along and maybe laugh once or twice while washing dishes or something. I love Community, but it's not a show you can jump in and out of. You have to pay attention to it to get it, and most people don't want that from network sitcoms.

Edited by pizzamonkey

I kind of liked The Office's ending, but I could see how people, especially those that don't like Kevin jokes, would not see it as redeeming the episode. Went a long way towards humanizing Spader though.

Anybody who still has a TV crush on Pam should just watch Whitney because they have no standards.