The Shows Mostly Formerly Affiliated with NBC's Thursday Night Comedy Block Thread **SPOILERS**

GoGo Yubari

Parks & Rec and Community were fantastic as always, but I thought The Office was the hit of the night. Best episode of the show in years and Ed Helms makes perfect sense as the new manager with his rising star power thanks to The Hangover. James Spader was terrific as well.

And I have to admit, I didn't think Whitney was that bad. Definitely waaaaaaaaaaaay too sitcommy, but I think that's a trap a lot of pilots fall into. I'd obviously rather have 30 Rock, but it's certainly preferable to Outsourced or the Paul Reiser Show.

• Like 1

Wow, no discussion at all this week?

Parks and Recreation was pretty good, Ron without a beard was probably my favorite moment of the show. Definitely nice interactions between all of the characters, very enjoyable.

Community was different, but not in a bad way. As I mentioned earlier, the creators mentioned already that the show would focus more on the storylines and less on the craziness and I think this episode was the first clear step in the direction. This means that there are less over the top hilarious moments, but again this is not necessarily bad. It just offers a different type of entertainment. I was genuinely feeling for Annie's troubles and really liked Jeff for trying to help her. The episode had a very different pace than usual and some people might need some time go get used to it, but for me it was still a very fun experience. If I can see the characters I already like grow and mature in the future, I will gladly trade it in for a few laughs.

Edited by fr34k

Disagreed on The Office. I dug that they immediately showed that there can be conflict between Boss Andy and the rest of the staff. Moreover, something about the whole office kicking into super-serious work mode struck me as hysterical. Plus, the episode ended on a great line: "There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional."

Community was indeed different, and I still enjoyed it. I especially liked the Britta/Chang dynamic with "Hello" being played. I did miss John Goodman though. It looks like we'll have that story throughout the season, but not in every episode.

Parks and Rec won the night though, through the combined strength of Ron's story and Ben (J-Shot!) visiting Entertainment 720. I nearly applauded when Ron chugged the corn liquor.

Holy shit that was Martin Starr. He looks.. so.. not.. like the last time I saw him, which was admittedly on Freaks & Geeks. >_>

Parks & Rec was definitely the best one last night. Loved the stuff with Ben visiting Entertainment 720, especially the recurring gag with NBA players trying to give Jean-Ralphio and Tom financial advice (only to get shot down every time).

"They'll be bankrupt by the end of this.. sentence!"

The problem is that conflict in The Office this week was like a shade off from the conflict Michael Scott had, and I felt like I'd seen better episodes along this vein already. Also the fact that almost none of it was funny in my opinion, though the James Spader line at the end was indeed awesome.

Community was right on the cusp of an awesome episode, but it just didn't get to its potential. As always, even a kinda-good Community is better than 90% of television, but I think there was a lot more they could've done with Britta being the worst protester ever and Annie's doppelganger.

Parks & Rec definitely won the night. I enjoyed The Office, but I'm worried they're sliding into way too cutesy and sweet territory. Whitney slid further into sitcom hell, unless the ratings inexplicably hold up, it won't make it to midseason.

I watched about 10 minutes of Whitney and came to the conclusion that, while Whitney Cummings is pretty, boy is this show ever fucking bad.

• Like 1

I feel like I should actually watch some of Whitney to judge it, but seeing as I have yet to come across a single person of similar taste to me who likes it I probably don't have to.

I watched the first two episodes of that Whitney show and I just can't find any enjoyment to it. From the dialogue coming off as forced and unnatural at points to jokes being stacked on top of each other and the overuse of the laugh track, I just can't honestly recommend this show to anyone.

I watched the first two episodes of that Whitney show and I just can't find any enjoyment to it. From the dialogue coming off as forced and unnatural at points to jokes being stacked on top of each other and the overuse of the laugh track, I just can't honestly recommend this show to anyone.

Replace Whitney with 2 Broke Girls and that may be the problem I have with the show.

Community was good this week as well. It still had the crazy moments, with Brita and Chang (and even Annie), but I enjoy that they are trying to put more story into it as well. I just hope we get more of Chang in the security guard role interacting with the study group. So many possibilities with that.

Edited by Vitamin E

Replace Whitney with 2 Broke Girls and that may be the problem I have with the show.

Both of which are written by Whitney Cummings.

Yes, she's a co-producer and creator on two primetime shows on two different national television networks.

Disagreed on The Office. I dug that they immediately showed that there can be conflict between Boss Andy and the rest of the staff. Moreover, something about the whole office kicking into super-serious work mode struck me as hysterical. Plus, the episode ended on a great line: "There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional."

Community was indeed different, and I still enjoyed it. I especially liked the Britta/Chang dynamic with "Hello" being played. I did miss John Goodman though. It looks like we'll have that story throughout the season, but not in every episode.

Parks and Rec won the night though, through the combined strength of Ron's story and Ben (J-Shot!) visiting Entertainment 720. I nearly applauded when Ron chugged the corn liquor.

I've got a feeling that Goodman will factor into the assumed third paintball finale, where the prize is Greendale's original contract between themselves and the air-conditioning repair annex or something.

I think Parks and Rec was the best show of the night. Tammie 2/Ron Swanson was hysterical, and of course you can't go wrong with Tom Haverford and Jean Ralphio. All of the Entertainment 720 scene were excellent.

I also enjoyed The Office. There is a certain charm to The Office that the other two shows don't have. That mostly has to do with its longevity, but also how any character can make me laugh at any given time. When Erin was walking with the coffee, her hands trembling, I was cracking up. She has easily become one of my favorite characters on television.

Community was solid this week, although I didn't think it was anything too special.

Guest mr. potato head

Community: Good week, but with that subject matter there was no way I wasn't going to like it. Best comedy model UN since The Simpsons. Brita/Chang subplot was well done and really something we all should have seen coming, and the tag was great. Surprised there was no Jim Rash, but pleasantly surprised that the door seems to be shut on any Jeff/Annie romance for a while. Abed's fascination with Earth-2 was more awesome before it tied into the plot.

Parks and Rec: As others here have said, won the night. We all know by now that Tom and Jean-Ralphio have no idea how to run a business, but it's still hilarious seeing the myriad ways in which they have no idea how to run a business, and Ben is an awesome only sane man. Tammy storyline was awesome as well (was the the first we'd learned that Tammy I was 20 years or so older than Ron?), and the April spit-take was perfect. Surprised Andy came up with a fake name other than Burt Macklin. Didn't care about Chris/Ann so much, but it wasn't offensive or anything.

The Office: On its own merits...meh. As part of a larger picture, we'll see. It's like the writers wanted to assure everybody that they could pull off a "classic" episode (Michael does something stupid and gets in way over his head in the name of management, Jim becomes the good guy to get him out of it with a dose of sanity, everyone else does their thing). If the goal is to spend the first few episodes of the season beating us over the head with this dynamic and then moving on to something better, I'm okay with it. If the goal is to basically do a redux of the second season with Andy in the place of Michael, it'll get old really quickly.