The Shows Mostly Formerly Affiliated with NBC's Thursday Night Comedy Block Thread **SPOILERS**

GoGo Yubari

Looooved the Community premiere.

Especially Inspector Spacetime and Star-Burns suggesting he and the Biology teacher get a "Breaking Bad thing going on here". Amazing.

Guest mr. potato head

Community was OK but nothing more to me. I generally prefer the not-so-wacky episodes like this one, but I'm thinking this one being the premiere was perhaps designed to attract some new viewers and lure them in.

It wasn't bad by any means, but it wasn't at or near Community's best. Seemed like the writers started with "how do we get back to the status quo?" and took it from there. The English TV stuff was good. Not sure that "Greendale is broke" is really that fertile of comedy ground.

Parks and Rec, on the other hand, was awesome and easily the best of the three tonight. They found good ways to deal with all their cliffhangers, Rob Lowe had some great lines, Ron was just generally awesome, April and Andy were cute, really everything except Tom was very, very solid.

And The Office hasn't completely assuaged my fears, but it's getting there. James Spader's character is still pretty much the same guy he was at the end of last season, only dumbed down enough that even I can follow his logic. But he won't be around all that often, and you could tell they were throwing a bunch of shit at the wall to see what could stick in the first few minutes (the scene of Dwight running around putting an end to planking was AWESOME though...it's not enough to say there's a resurgence, but there's a good shot at it. They do need to up the comedy though, every episode can't end with Andy learning An Important Lesson About Being A Manager (but he's a great choice for that role for precisely that reason).

Guest mr. potato head

Hey MPH, how was Outsourced?

I knew Indian society was getting more Americanized but I didn't think that one summer was enough for an unmarried couple to live together without shame! And the people they cast for these new roles barely even look Indian!

Don't know if anyone caught it, but I saw a sly reference to Community on The Office. There was a quick shot of Dwight and others standing around at the end of the episode, and on Dwight's desk was a sticker saying "Biology 101".

I definitely have to go back and look for that.

Community and Parks and Recreation were both awesome.

Parks and Recreation was amazing in terms of story progression and had very funny moments and is the perfect setup for this season.

The only thing I 'disliked' about Community is the fact that Pierce is already back in the group, I was hoping they'd draw this out a bit longer, but oh well. Pierce is still the bad guy though so it will be interesting. As for the wacky comedy stuff good god, it was so great. Inspector Time was funny as hell, as was the 2001: A Space Oddyssey sequence. Starburns wanting to break bad <_< was fantastic as well. There were so many amazing scenes (Jeff going all The Shining on the table was pretty neat too) it's hard to pick a favorite. The episode was super high quality in my eyes. I think it was mentioned by Dan Harmon that this season was going to focus more on storyline progression than the others, so introducing Greendale being broke, Cheng working for the Dean and Biology 101 (as well as Britta announcing her major) are all providing solid ground for a fantastic season. Can't wait for next week.

Edited by fr34k

The 2001 bit was the best thing all night.

The Office deserves some major credit too. I felt it did a fantastic job of answering questions and moving things in a new direction in the most interesting way possible. And I cannot get enough Robert California.

I think Ed Helms was NBC's MVP last night. I was excited to see Andy as manager, and it fit really well IMO. Spader also adds a brilliant new dynamic to the show, seeing all of the series regulars interacting with/reacting to this new whackjob has been great.

Community was good too. They did a good job of introducing the new characters, you feel me? Williams and Goodman had me laughing at almost everything they said, both guys seem really dedicated to their characters and I can't wait for the study group to get more involved with them. Highlight of the episode for me was Abed malfunctioning once he heard the news about Cougartown and his subsequent discovery of Inspector Spacetime.

Community was awesome yesterday. Great premiere to start off what should be a great season. Michael K. Williams and John Goodman were great. It's gonna be fun watching them on the show.

Like Cloudy, my only complaint is that Pierce was immediately brought back into the group. I thought they would drag it out, but I don't think it's a big deal. They'll still make it work.

Community was awesome yesterday. Great premiere to start off what should be a great season. Michael K. Williams and John Goodman were great. It's gonna be fun watching them on the show.

Like Cloudy, my only complaint is that Pierce was immediately brought back into the group. I thought they would drag it out, but I don't think it's a big deal. They'll still make it work.

I got confused with Cloudy, wohoooooo :wub:. But yes, I rewatched the episode an hour ago and bringing him back was actually handled really well. Also agreeing that Michael K. Williams and John Goodman were awesome.

The opening song was hilarious too. Obvious best line "And we're gonna sleep together" when Jeff and Annie are dancing together.