General Football Thread

Starvinho

Messed around with my work schedule a bit (hence this stupidly early train. Going back to sleep after my change...) and went to the Harper game last night. 0-0 which was disappointing, but a decentish game for a charity friendly and well worth the tenner just for Maldini and Baresi. Genuinely disturbing quite how good Maldini and Costacurta still are, and Alan Thompson weirdly, while Steve Watson has let himself go ridiculously, barely managed twenty minutes. Di Canio should start himself for Sunderland, doesn't look like he's lost a step. Nice touch with Gary Speeds kids coming on late on.

On Di Canio he played the panto villain perfectly, mugging for the individual intros and blowing kisses to the crowd, and the kick he got from Barton looked worked to say the least. Fair play to him, lifted the atmosphere considerably.

Lost 2-1 in a woeful penalty shootout that looked like it was ending 3-0. Weirdly we left Pav in goal, and the plan was clearly to have Harps take the 5th but he was bumped to 3rd just to make sure he got one. Which he missed. Asprilla had two saved after the original was retaken for Taibi coming off his line, put the second in exactly the same place...

• 2 weeks later...

I want to know how they decided who to put on there, . It just seems to be a case of "include all the legends, people who did something particularly memorable and then throw some other random names in there"