2011 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Starvinho

Rumours abounding that Newcastle have signed Yohan Cabaye from Lille, supposedly he told the press after they played tonight. Don't know much about him in fairness, but hopefully more will follow and Joey Barton may be surplus to requirements...

Edited by Colly

• Admin
Joey Barton has claimed that although he wants to stay at Newcastle the club have failed to offer him a new deal.

The 28-year-old midfielder has one year left on his contract at St James' Park.

He wrote on Twitter: "Finished playing golf, 72 not bad. Came in to questions about joining Everton??? I don't want to leave Newcastle but thanks anyway.

"I can't sign a contract if am not offered one? Basically they want a younger, better, cheaper player."

Barton, however, added that he would remain committed to Newcastle for as long as the club want him.

Magpies boss Alan Pardew has been quoted as wanting to retain Barton, who joined Newcastle from Manchester City in July 2007 for £5.8m and has scored eight goals in 82 appearances at Newcastle.

But contract negotiations broke down between Barton and the club this month with Barton's agent Willie McKay telling BBC Newcastle that, although the player was prepared to take a drop in wages, Newcastle did not offer him a new deal.

Barton, referring to his belief that the club wants better but cheaper players, appeared to mock the Newcastle's transfer policy before stopping himself.

"Can't blame Mike [owner Mike Ashley] and Derek [managing director Derek Llambias] can you?" he tweeted.

"Slight problem is, they don't want to spend any money or pay any wages. It's genius really ha ha.

"I am an employee so have to be careful here. Everyone knows I'd love to stay, I get on with Pardew fine and our dressing room is first class.

"If I'm not offered a new contract, my hands are tied. I will continue to do everything in my power to bring a trophy to St James' next season."

He also seems to confirm Cabaye in other tweets.

As much as I love Joey Barton, if he REALLY is on £70k a week wages then I guess we can't really afford to offer him a new longer contract on similar wages. I'd still like him around next season even if he does leave on a free, he's pretty essential to our midfield.

And Cabaye will cost 5m Euros. Which, considering he was one of the key players of a team that's just won the French League, isn't that bad of a deal. As long as we don't cripple ourselves with silly wages I think this transfer window could be pretty spectacular for Newcastle.

I have serious aversions to journalists who use twitter feeds for their news stories. I'm not claiming that it isn't Barton, I'm 100% sure that he is the person tweeting but maybe a little more groundwork should be done as opposed to just copying his tweets verbatim and then referring to it as a news story. Smacks of a rather lack of effort on the part of the journalist.

At the end of the day I think this Cabeye could end up being a decent player, and if Barton does go then I suspect the Newcastle fans will soon forget all about the deal assuming this Cabeye looks good enough.

The transfer rumour section on the Chelsea forum I frequent has been completely overrun with idiots posting tweets from journalists and/or miscellaneous 'in the know' people and treating them as gospel. It's pathetic and highly irritating.

Tongue in cheek likely yeah but typical EWB fallout from it.

Anyway how much money DO QPR have and will they actually be getting big signings?

Potentially QPR could easily rival many of the top teams in terms of wealth due to the people that have shares in them. Lakshmi Narayan Mitta is minted, Bernie Ecclestone is minted and Briatore is minted. But I don't think they'll be spending loads of money as well they could have easily done that already, they'll spend a bit and get a few decentish players I reckon but not major big signings.

There was rumours going around of us going after Freidal as backup cause well Brad Jones is shit but it didn't make no sense whatsoever why would you wanna come back to the place where you spent most of the time being on the bench? Even if you were offered a goalkeepers coaching job as well it doesn't really tempt haha. Friedal would be a good signing for Spurs in the short-term. Get some money for Gomes, then throughout the next season scout around for a new goalkeeper for the season after.

When you consider that QPR's largest shareholder is the richest man in the country and in the top ten in the world or something like that, they can match anybody for financial clout. Whether he cares enough to splash tens of millions is another story.

The transfer rumour section on the Chelsea forum I frequent has been completely overrun with idiots posting tweets from journalists and/or miscellaneous 'in the know' people and treating them as gospel. It's pathetic and highly irritating.

Ditto the Newcastle one I read.

That being said I think Sky (and the BBC, and the papers that are reporting it) would be missing a trick if they hadn't reported Bartons comments. They're employed to find info from any sources they can, and if someone makes it that easy they'd be daft not to report it.

Sunderland, Newcastle United,Blackburn Rovers and Stoke City have supposedly made offers for Larrson. I'd prefer Stoke of those clubs and wouldn't mind either Sunderland or Newcastle. Just please, not Blackburn.

Arsenal and Liverpool are supposedly after Axel Witsel.

And uh, Arsenal to make a bid for Kalou ? hhmmmm

No secret that we're interested in Larsson, think he'd fit in well as we need a proper set piece taker as we're pretty dire at them and probably have 1 good set piece out of every 5 we get so he'd be good to have, not sure he's a 'next level' player but would probably give us a different dimension to our team. And he'd be free, can't complain.

• Admin

Elmander has now officially signed with Galatasary. But I've just been thinking was a scarily good partnership Tiote and Cabaye sounds like. A spine of them along with Harper, Taylor, and the likes sounds like a good recipe for a top ten finish at the very least if not more.

• Admin
Chelsea defender Michael Mancienne is having a medical at Hamburg ahead of a proposed move to the German club.

The 23-year-old has been on loan at Wolves for the past two seasons, helping to keep them in the Premier League.

And with limited chances at managerless Chelsea, Hamburg are expected to pay aboud 2m Euro (£1.75m) for him.

Mancienne has flown to Germany from the England Under-21s camp in Spain as they prepare for the European Championship.