2011 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Starvinho

Can't see Norwich wanting to give Holt, because he basically is the core of their tream. Good move for Tottenham because they need the money to invest in a striker or they're going to seriously struggle to break into the top 5 with Liverpool's team shaping up quite nicely.

• Admin
Arsenal have completed the signing of Southampton winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain on a long-term contract.

The 17-year-old joins for an undisclosed fee reported to be £12m up front with a further £3m in add-ons.

Oxlade-Chamberlain, an England Under-21 international, hit 10 goals in 41 games last season and helped Southampton gain promotion from League One.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger said: "We are looking forward to him fulfilling his huge potential with Arsenal."

Southampton suggested this was "one of the biggest deals in Championship history" and sees their previous transfer record - Theo Walcott's £12m move to Arsenal in 2006 - "blown out of the water".

Oxlade-Chamberlain becomes Wenger's third summer signing following the arrivals of defender Carl Jenkinson from League One Charlton and striker Gervinho from French club Lille.

"We are delighted that Alex has decided to join us," Wenger stated. "He is an exciting young player who will provide us with creativity and offensive quality.

"Alex is a versatile player who can play in a number of positions. He can play as an attacking centre midfielder, or wide left and right.

"He is a perceptive passer of the ball, has a great understanding of the game and looks to be a very good team player."

Oxlade-Chamberlain, who turns 18 on 15 August, commented: "I'm so excited to be joining Arsenal. It's a fantastic club and I'm really looking forward to playing football at the highest level.

"Arsenal have a great manager in Arsene Wenger, top quality players and an attractive style of play. These were all important factors in me choosing to sign for Arsenal.

"I'm proud to be joining Arsenal, but I would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at Southampton for their help and support during the early part of my career, for which I will always be grateful.

"I'm now looking forward to meeting all my new team mates and giving absolutely everything in an Arsenal shirt."

• Admin

Birmingham have confirmed midfielder Michel has joined Getafe for an undisclosed fee.

Celtic have been told that their bid for Polish goalie Grzegorz Sandomierski is too low.

Nicolas Bendtner has been sold to an un-named club, confirmed by him tonight.

Quite looking forward to seeing what he can do, either way it'll be nice to have a quick winger on the right too so every break isn't 'Jonas runs down the left into three men, doubles back, cross field to Barton, long ball'. I'm tipping Jonas to get goals next year just by virtue of having some space and not starting every run in his own half.

The Newcastle squad is starting to look somewhat lopsided though, 5 defenders, 32 midfielders and 3 strikers. :shifty:

• Like 1

The Newcastle squad is starting to look somewhat lopsided though, 5 defenders, 32 midfielders and 3 strikers. :shifty:

Sounds like the l'pool squad.

• Like 1

I just can't see him being anything different to what he was at Man Utd. He barely got in the Bordeaux squad, we all thought there must be something there when he signed for Utd. He came off the bench, sprinted onto the pitch like a hero, got the ball, put his head down and then ran out of the pitch with it.

His whole time at Utd seemed largely full of sprinting around looking rather odd and not a great deal else. Perhaps some regular football will do him good and we'll see more of what he has to offer, but I'm not really sure. His whole career so far just seems to provide pictures to go over the Benny Hill soundtrack.

Best of luck to him though, if he is talented I'd like to see it in the Premier League.

• Like 1