2011 College Football Season

I won't disagree LSU and Bama are clearly the 2 best teams in the country, but I do feel the same way you do about a rematch. Bama can't possibly be National Champions if they win that game, having already lost to LSU and not winning their conference.

For a system touted on its ability to create an all-season playoff, I have to ask the question again "are these playoffs double elimination?"

There's no way Ok St can catch Bama though looking at the standings.

The Urban Meyer news is thoroughly unsurprising.

Honestly, at this point, I'm fine with LSU/Alabama Pt. 2 for the National Championship. As has been said, they're quite clearly the two best teams in the country, and that's what the National Championship should be. Hopefully LSU beats Georgia and then 'Bama, so there aren't any question marks when all is said and done.

• Like 1

Who would you rather have in the title game?

Oklahoma State? I don't think so. And I think highly of Andrew Luck, but Stanford is not the second best team out there. Alabama walked out of the SEC with one loss and it was to the best team in the country. And it was by a field goal. Had they had someone on their roster that could boot a ball between the uprights, they'd be the undefeated team right now.

It's not my ideal scenario by any means, but I can't think of two better teams than LSU and Alabama right now.

They are the second best in their conference. But the way the conference is divided, they can't play in the game. Had they been in the East, they'd be in the title game, because their SEC record was better than Georgia's. I don't think that holds much ground.

Correction: Same SEC record, better overall.

• Like 1

They are the second best in their conference. But the way the conference is divided, they can't play in the game. Had they been in the East, they'd be in the title game, because their SEC record was better than Georgia's. I don't think that holds much ground.

Them's the breaks. It's not college football, but when the Pats went 11-5 and missed the playoffs because they played in a tougher conference, everyone accepted that. When a 7-9 team made the playoffs last year because their division sucked, everyone accepted that. Why do we have to accept that a team that isn't in a conference championship is really the second best team in the country because they allegedly play in the toughest conference in America? Win your division and/or win your conference and then you can play for the title. Doing neither and still potentially being the champion is the height of stupidity.

I agree with the second best team in their conference. But I think the BCS is trying put conference champs in the game. Its unfortunate they are in the SEC and the best team in the country is there also but it is what it is. Conference memberships aren't forced (as you can see by all these teams jumping conferences). Is Bama the second best team in the country? Yes. Do I think they should be in the National Championship game without winning their conference? Nope.

Can you seriously sit there and with a straight face say that Georgia is a better team than Alabama? You think they'd win if they played straight up? If yes, then that's your opinion. I think you're wrong, and we have no way to prove it, but I really don't think that's necessary.

I understand you despise the SEC. I don't like them either. And I really didn't want this match to happen. But if you use logic and not the "Welp not in the conference title game!" which is due to a technicality, then it's hard to seriously find a better #2 than Alabama.

Can you seriously sit there and with a straight face say that Georgia is a better team than Alabama? You think they'd win if they played straight up? If yes, then that's your opinion. I think you're wrong, and we have no way to prove it, but I really don't think that's necessary.

I understand you despise the SEC. I don't like them either. And I really didn't want this match to happen. But if you use logic and not the "Welp not in the conference title game!" which is due to a technicality, then it's hard to seriously find a better #2 than Alabama.

I'm not saying Georgia is better than Alabama. I'm saying Alabama doesn't deserve to play for the Nat'l Title. They played Penn State, Arkansas and a bunch of average to mediocre teams. But because they played LSU close and are in THE SEC! they deserve to be in the title game? I hate the BCS system and this season is the worst of the bunch. If Georgia beats LSU it won't change the participants in the game but Alabama would end up being the # 1 team instead. What kind of horseshit is that?

Sep 3 Kent St. Won 48-7

Sep 10 @Penn St. Won 27-11

Sep 17 North Texas Won 41-0

Sep 24 Arkansas Won 38-14

Oct 1 @Florida Won 38-10

Oct 8 Vanderbilt Won 34-0

Oct 15 @Mississippi Won 52-7

Oct 22 Tennessee Won 37-6

Nov 5 LSU Lost 6-9

Nov 12 @Mississippi St. Won 24-7

Nov 19 Georgia Southern Won 45-21

Nov 26 @Auburn Won 42-14

Then who is your #2? Who is the second best team in the country?

I'm not saying Alabama is OMG GREATEST EVER! but the quality of TOP teams this year is slim. We have a lot of good Top-10 teams. But only really two teams that are championship-worthy.

Houston :shifty:

If Ok. St. beats Oklahoma handily, I'd pick them. They'd probably get raped by LSU, but I'd rather watch that game.

I went and checked the Sagarin ratings to see just what the difference between Bama/OkSt is:

Big12 rated better than the SEC

Everything about the ratings tells me OkST deserves it more

OkST has the 8th rated SOS while Bama is at 23. OkST is 6-1 against top 30 teams while Bama is 2-1. Also note the SOS of the other SEC schools against the other Big12 schools.

Taking a look at the BCS standings and you'll find (as of the most recent rankings) that OkST has 5 of the top 25 BCS rated teams on their schedule (only OK left to play) while Bama has 2.

The SEC hype machine has worked wonders this year. Somehow, they've turned the "quality of that one loss" into being something more important than actually winning ... that debate is easily won by OkST ... and I didn't even mention that Bama already lost to LSU *cough*

.... being completely honest I'd rather they just hand LSU the title if they beat UGA <_<

I went and checked the Sagarin ratings to see just what the difference between Bama/OkSt is:

Big12 rated better than the SEC

Everything about the ratings tells me OkST deserves it more

OkST has the 8th rated SOS while Bama is at 23. OkST is 6-1 against top 30 teams while Bama is 2-1. Also note the SOS of the other SEC schools against the other Big12 schools.

Taking a look at the BCS standings and you'll find (as of the most recent rankings) that OkST has 5 of the top 25 BCS rated teams on their schedule (only OK left to play) while Bama has 2.

The SEC hype machine has worked wonders this year. Somehow, they've turned the "quality of that one loss" into being something more important than actually winning ... that debate is easily won by OkST ... and I didn't even mention that Bama already lost to LSU *cough*

.... being completely honest I'd rather they just hand LSU the title if they beat UGA <_<

I agree with you. That being said, the arguement will fall onto the kicker. Either that or it will fall on the fact that OK State lost to a 6-5 Iowa State team that just got throttled by Oklahoma. That being said, Oklahoma State has to run through Oklahoma with slim-to-no opposition to even have a small chance to catch Bama. This season moreso than others is proof that they should cut the schedule to ten games and force a playoff system.