2011 College Football Season

Don't lose to a 6-5 team if you want to call yourself a national championship contender. The Big 12's ranking is as much a result of the teams in it all beating up on each other as opposed to there being a truly dominant team in the conference though. OkSt had that distinction until they shat the bed against Iowa State. The top 4 in the SEC basically throttled the rest of the conference, and the teams . I'll be the first to say there's a hype machine the SEC has to give itself this elite distinction, but it manages to back it up every single year. So until the SEC's dominance over the national title picture changes I fail to see a way you can't include the best team or teams in that conference in the discussion ever year.

And a rematch isn't right, the BCS should institute a conference champion requirement (unless of course you are Notre Gonna Play for a Title Dame, but it's the only option we have in a broken system. At least this year more eyes will be opened to how the system needs a total overhaul.

Don't lose to a 6-5 team if you want to call yourself a national championship contender. The Big 12's ranking is as much a result of the teams in it all beating up on each other as opposed to there being a truly dominant team in the conference though.

And how many of the SEC teams in the West (Bama/LSU/Ark) played the two best teams in the East ? ONLY ONE. Arkansas played South Carolina. That's it.

So how is the Big12 different than the SEC ? Hell, in the Big12 this year everyone plays everyone. Oh, and that 6-5 record is better than or as good as HALF of the SEC.

So until the SEC's dominance over the national title picture changes I fail to see a way you can't include the best team or teams in that conference in the discussion ever year.

Well, when two teams can get to 10 wins because they don't play the three best teams in the conference, or only two of them ...

LSU also managed to beat Oregon and West Virginia, two potential conference winners. There's no argument at all against them deserving where they need to be.

This isn't the issue of the Big 10 paving the way for Ohio State to get crushed in the title game every year, where the SEC paves the road the teams actually win and generally look pretty good doing it. Until that changes, there's not a major argument against them rightfully having the spot they do.

• Like 1

LSU also managed to beat Oregon and West Virginia, two potential conference winners. There's no argument at all against them deserving where they need to be.

This isn't the issue of the Big 10 paving the way for Ohio State to get crushed in the title game every year, where the SEC paves the road the teams actually win and generally look pretty good doing it. Until that changes, there's not a major argument against them rightfully having the spot they do.

There's no issue with LSU ..... It's Bama.

This is also the 2011 season. 2011 is all that matters. This year, OkST has done more to warrant a NT shot than Bama. This year the Big12 is a better conference.

What exactly is the argument for Bama ?

They lost one game. And it was to the best team in the country, not some .500 team. If that argument isn't good enough for you, nothing will convince you.

I think there are two different arguments going on here anyway. I'm on the side saying "Alabama is the second best team in the country" and you're on the side of saying "They haven't earned a shot at the Championship". We both have things to back up our stances, but when we aren't even arguing the same thing, we won't find much middle ground.

Has Oklahoma State played a tougher schedule? Yes. And if they beat Oklahoma, I'd be fine with them getting in the National title game. But I don't think any of us can sit here and say that we honestly think the Cowboys are better than Alabama.

They lost one game. And it was to the best team in the country, not some .500 team. If that argument isn't good enough for you, nothing will convince you.

I think there are two different arguments going on here anyway. I'm on the side saying "Alabama is the second best team in the country" and you're on the side of saying "They haven't earned a shot at the Championship". We both have things to back up our stances, but when we aren't even arguing the same thing, we won't find much middle ground.

Has Oklahoma State played a tougher schedule? Yes. And if they beat Oklahoma, I'd be fine with them getting in the National title game. But I don't think any of us can sit here and say that we honestly think the Cowboys are better than Alabama.

So then the "quality" of a loss trumps better quality wins ? ..... That's exactly what you're saying.

I simply do not understand that rational. Winning > losing every time. Yes I can honestly say I feel OkST is the number 2 team because they've beaten more than one team this year. Bama hasn't.

I think they're pretty much on a level playing field when it comes to quality wins, though.

OkState beat Baylor, Kansas State, and Texas (who are just not good).

'Bama beat Arkansas, Penn State, and Auburn (who also are just not good).

The main difference comparing their schedules is that Alabama absolutely destroyed every team they played. When teams schedules are so close in strength (someone say OkState was #8, and 'Bama was #22?) it can't hurt to look and see who it was they lost to and how.

And we obviously won't find out, unless Georgia blows LSU out, but I believe if Alabama and OkState played each other straight up, the Tide would roll comfortably. And I'm one of the biggest 'Bama/Saban haters on the forum.

I think they're pretty much on a level playing field when it comes to quality wins, though.

OkState beat Baylor, Kansas State, and Texas (who are just not good).

'Bama beat Arkansas, Penn State, and Auburn (who also are just not good).

The main difference comparing their schedules is that Alabama absolutely destroyed every team they played. When teams schedules are so close in strength (someone say OkState was #8, and 'Bama was #22?) it can't hurt to look and see who it was they lost to and how.

And we obviously won't find out, unless Georgia blows LSU out, but I believe if Alabama and OkState played each other straight up, the Tide would roll comfortably. And I'm one of the biggest 'Bama/Saban haters on the forum.

I linked the Sagarin ratings earlier. There is no way to spin that Bama has an equal or just as close SOS. I linked them for that exact reason.

Penn State is a joke. They've played 3 schools that aren't just ok. They lost all 3 games. PSU's best win is Temple. Yeah. Arkansas .... the same Arkansas that had to pull the magic trick to beat the Big12's seventh best team. Yeah. Sure they've rolled everyone. Easy to do when you play 4 of the 6 worst teams in your conference and miss the other two with ten wins.

You're fixated on the loss for some reason though .... Since winning against a better schedule somehow doesn't carry more weight.

Bama lost at home .... Shit the bed on ST ... In OT

OkST lost on the road ..... Had a very questionable FG call against them ..... IN 2OT

It's gotta be Sumlin's job to lose, Peterson comes across as one of those guys who knows he's got a good thing in Boise and risking it all like Hawkins isn't worth it.

I don't get firing a coach before the conference title game though, but I suppose you gotta avoid all your top candidates getting scooped up by other schools

They'll start off with a clean slate in the SEC, but I have to say he barely got started there. They ended up being the one of the good Big 12 teams who ended up losing to all of them, they were just on the short end of the stick. Yes, expected they'd fire him but I'm not a fan of the decision.

Patterson? As in Gary Patterson? I couldn't see him leaving TCU now that they'll be in a BCS-conference. He has a much better chance of winning a National Title with a program he's built in the Big-12 than starting anew in the SEC.

I hope they manage to pluck someone that won't blow, though. Always have had a soft spot for A&M. Not sure why. Maybe it's because of my hatred for Oklahoma and Texas.

Patterson? As in Gary Patterson? I couldn't see him leaving TCU now that they'll be in a BCS-conference. He has a much better chance of winning a National Title with a program he's built in the Big-12 than starting anew in the SEC.

I hope they manage to pluck someone that won't blow, though. Always have had a soft spot for A&M. Not sure why. Maybe it's because of my hatred for Oklahoma and Texas.

Yes and no. On the surface absolutely. However, TCU is primed to be A&M v2 in the B12. They don't even have the resources that aggie does, let alone Texas. The SEC move will open doors to kids he'll never get at TCU. The resources are only going to go further upwards at a&m.

The school and conference are both a step up.