The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Forget Barton. Chris Eagles had a great game for Bolton. Made the first goal (awesome strike) and his FK led to the OG. If I played FF, he'd totally be in my team.

Good to see De Laet playing well for Norwich too. Unlucky to give away a pen, and saved them twice with blocks on shots heading for goal late on.

Amusing that Joey Barton yanks Gervinho to his feet for diving yet goes down like he has been shot despite getting a slap then telling Robin Van Persie it was a punch, also Steven Taylor telling the referee it was an elbow and then being to scared to say anything to the media. Best thing about it all is that Gervinho was fouled and it wasn't a dive.

Agreed. What a twat.

Edited by IAceI

Going to try and catch both games today. Looking forward to seeing United play because I really enjoyed their game against City, they played some really nice football and with a young squad with a British influence, that's something I can really get behind. As my team's in the championship, I kind of just like seeing all English talent play well without having too much of a prejudice against teams or players. Hoping Rooney grabs a couple of goals for fantasy football purposes though. :P

Will be interesting to see Chelsea under AVB - and I'm very interested to see if he can get Torres playing well. Is the Lukaku signing wrapped up yet?

I don't read Barton's twitter or anything, but the MOTD part where they said one of his which was to the tune of 'If I had stamped on Song, people would be making a much bigger deal over it' was spot on. Disgusting.

That's exactly my stance on it. If the roles were reversed here, Barton would never ever live it down but because it's Alex Song it'll be forgotten about in a week.

That people on here are saying Barton should've gone for grabbing someone by the shirt says it all. It's a bookable offence and he was booked. Christ if every time players grabbed an opponent by the shirt most games would be down to 8 a side. He shouldn't have done it and he shouldn't have gone down so easily. I'd say however had he not gone down Arsenal would've kept 11 on the pitch despite a player stamping on an opponent and slapping him.

That Barton's a twat is a substory. Of course he's become the main story here when it should've been the sneaky and foul behaviour as the headline, but yeah, he went down when someone slapped him (bring in video refs and maybe people wouldn't do the "OMG HE HIT ME" dive).

That people on here are saying Barton should've gone for grabbing someone by the shirt says it all. It's a bookable offence and he was booked. Christ if every time players grabbed an opponent by the shirt most games would be down to 8 a side. He shouldn't have done it and he shouldn't have gone down so easily. I'd say however had he not gone down Arsenal would've kept 11 on the pitch despite a player stamping on an opponent and slapping him.

That Barton's a twat is a substory. Of course he's become the main story here when it should've been the sneaky and foul behaviour as the headline, but yeah, he went down when someone slapped him (bring in video refs and maybe people wouldn't do the "OMG HE HIT ME" dive).

I couldn't agree more, I've heard so many people say he should have been sent off but for what? Just because he's Joey Barton and he had an angry look on his face doesn't mean it warrants a red card!

If he didn't go down he wouldn't have got the player sent off. It's a sad state of affairs, but a large majority of players would've done the same. It's a sending off offense - but it seems the only way to get it acknowledged is to go down. I'm confident like 80% of players would've done the exact same.

I hate how everyone is suddenly up on their high horse about Barton going down easily when almost every player would've done and have done in the past for their teams. It's the ultimate hypocrisy. When Ronaldo or like yesterday Barton does it they get chastised while someone like Steven Gerrard who's a prolific diver but also England Star and Captain Fantastic, it's overlooked.

Why is everybody even talking about Joey Barton? Arsenal should've finished yesterday's game with 9 men but finished with 10, where' the bitching about that?

Joey Barton got angry because Gervinho DIVED, it was clear that he DIVED, but Barton's reaction was far too exagerated, even though It's sad that people get paid over a million per month just to dive on the box.

As for the game, Newcastle just played the ball to Krul and he fired that ball all over the field, Ameobi nodded, and back it goes to the Arsenal Goalkeeper Whose Name Is Very Hard To Write. I think Pardew should change Newcastle and try to make the team work the ball more with some good passing, because we have some creativity there, Cabaye, Barton and Obertan played well in the creation, and Simpson played a solid game ( Hooray!), but where's Marveaux?