The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

1724: FOOTBALL - Striker Peter Odemwingie signs a new contract with West Bromwich Albion, committing himself to the club until 2014.

It's whether on not he can live upto last season's standards now...

1724: FOOTBALL - Striker Peter Odemwingie signs a new contract with West Bromwich Albion, committing himself to the club until 2014.

It's whether on not he can live upto last season's standards now...

On twitter he said he would only leave for a TOP club

1010: FOOTBALL - Reuters report Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic faces longer on the sidelines than initially expected with manager Alex Ferguson saying on Friday the defender would be out for up to five weeks with a calf injury. There was better news for fellow centre back Rio Ferdinand, who had been ruled out for six weeks with a hamstring injury but who could now return in time for the Premier League champions' home match against Arsenal on 28 August.

Ugh I don't mind Rio being out for longer we're used to that but not Vidic, he was a rock at the back last season we need him fit.

• Admin
QPR's new owner Tony Fernandes has announced an immediate review of season ticket prices.

Malaysian Fernandes completed his takeover on Thursday when his company Tune Group bought a 66% stake.

Supporters have been critical of the high prices put in place by the former regime after their promotion.

The 47-year-old founder of AirAsia announced on his Twitter page that he was "looking into" the ticket prices as well as the "club's logo."

He will continue to work alongside the Mittal family, who retain their 33% share in the Loftus Road outfit.

Fernandes has been delighted with the response from fans so far and has pledged to do what is best for the club.

"What made my day actually was there were four kids that came up to me and just said how happy they were," he said.

"They couldn't have been more than 14 or 15 years old and you kind of felt 'wow, it was worth doing it'.

QPR's return to the top flight after a 15-year absence got off to the worst possible start last weekend with a 4-0 home defeat to Bolton but Fernandes remains optimistic and will now logistically look into what can be done to improve the club, stating: "I'll leave no stone unturned but I want everybody to be realistic.

"The key thing is we will do it together. We will either win together or lose together but the key thing is we will do it together.

"I will be as transparent as I can be, give me as many suggestions as you want and we'll try make this place a better place over the next few years."

• Admin
Sunderland v Newcastle line-ups

Sunderland: Mignolet, Bardsley, Brown, Ferdinand, Richardson, Larsson, Cattermole, Colback, Elmohamady, Sessegnon, Gyan.

Subs: Westwood, Gardner, Wickham, Vaughan, Ji, Bramble, Laing.

Newcastle: Krul, Simpson, Steven Taylor, Coloccini, Ryan Taylor, Tiote, Cabaye, Barton, Obertan, Gutierrez, Shola Ameobi.

Subs: Harper, Williamson, Lovenkrands, Gosling, Ba, Best, Marveaux.

Referee: Howard Webb (S Yorkshire)