The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

No one remembers these milestones for a week beyond their occurrence anyway. :P

I was the only person in the pub that remembered Volz scored the 15,000th and I only remember that because of the "15,000 Volz" headline the next day.

Watched the Liverpool game, that game should have been dead and buried in the first twenty. Bellamy was non-existent when he came on, Adam was poor all game and I have no idea why he didn't come off when Jonjo came on.

Charlie Adam spends the last half an hour of yet another game strolling around midfield giving the ball away and trotting after players that have jogged passed him.

And his set pieces are shit.

But his set pieces are worth ten million pounds or whatever it is that the Sky commentators keep saying.

I'll be happy when Gerrard comes in to replace his lesser talented Scottish equivalent.

Urgh what a awful game to watch, possible three points thrown away only good thing to come out of tonight was the fact we didn't get beat. Adam was awful today but in general the teams play was pretty uninspiring sidewards and backwards passing with crosses being whipped in to no one. This was the type of game where Andy Carroll might have been able to do something had he either A)Started or B)Not had a total of 5 minutes game time.

Atleast Newcastle didn't win, hopefully Tottenham can do us a favour and beat Chelsea.

Good to see the team rallying behind Suarez before the game as well.

Watched it on TV instead. Opinions of a few fans speaking on BBC 606 or whatever doesn't give a wide general opinion. You speak to most Liverpool fans he has the backing of them, the people who work at the club and the players.

Watched it on TV instead. Opinions of a few fans speaking on BBC 606 or whatever doesn't give a wide general opinion. You speak to most Liverpool fans he has the backing of them, the people who work at the club and the players.

Yeah, fair enough, But you speak to fans outside of Liverpool, and people seem to have an issue with Liverpool backing a player who has been found guilty of using a racial term at another player.

Which is fair enough, to be honest.

Oh yeh I don't blame anyone for thinking that tbf.

Problem I have with it all is he's admitted saying Negrito but I think it's the context/culture that is the big barrier to it. I don't think Suarez would say Negrito in an aggressive tone and use it as a racial slur like "Oh Evra you little negrito etc" I think that is the main issue with it. In Uruguay all the players, government etc have said that's there culture he wouldn't be saying it as that.

I understand the ban because our culture is different to Uruguays you can't really say stuff like that as people from UK would interpret it as something else, the problem is 8 games is a bit steep. I wouldn't be surprised if we appeal and it got reduced, I believe Suarez is being made an example of as a way of saying "We take a tough stance on racism, heres a 40k fine and a 8 game ban, FIFA/UEFA wouldn't do this"

That is the problem is culture/context. Do I believe Suarez is a racist? No, but at the same time do I blame Evra or people for thinking Negrito could have a different meaning here Yeh which is why I understand banning him.

That is why Suarez/Terry while both regarding racism they are different cases. If Terry is deemed to be saying "You black whatever" there can't be no misinterpretation, there is no cultural differences between John Terry and Anton Ferdinand and this isn't from a Liverpool fan point of view.

If we're purely talking about the phrasing of it all then the John Terry example is a relevant one. Is saying "black" acceptable? Of course. Is saying "black cunt" acceptable? No. Similarly with Suarez, it doesn't even matter whether 'negrito' is inherently racist, all that matters is that it's used in conjunction with an insult to make that insult racially-insensitive.