The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

On the spending part, there's a difference between making your own money, and being given billions to spend. Man Utd made their own money, it's common knowledge that Arsenal make more money from player sales than signings.

But yeah, football.

How could you not have it in your life? Amazing.

That was the best ending to a Premier League of all time. I'm a neutral fan but holy shit.

Edited by deli2000

On the spending part, there's a difference between making your own money, and being given billions to spend. Man Utd made their own money, it's common knowledge that Arsenal make more money from player sales than signings.

'We would like to give you billions of pounds of investment'

'.....sorry, we're going to have to say no. Don't want to lose our integrity with those vocal internet football fans!'

• Like 5

I do agree, that with the money comes plenty of fans who wouldn't have supported them before.

What if in ten years time Sheffield United are winning the Premiership? While it's inevitable that fans come out of the woodwork when a team are being successful Man City HAVE been well supported through some pretty shitty years.

]Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish: "It was an absolutely shocking, woeful display. Maybe some of the boys were thinking about their holidays already. "That team needs a change and there will be change. That wasn't an Alex McLeish team today. We need to bring more quality into the squad.

"I take (the fans' booing) on my shoulders for the sake of the players, I agree with the fans' frustration about our display.

"I'm expecting the board to back me. I have no reason to think I won't be (Villa manager next season). We've got through a really tough season. I've won lots of trophies as a player and manager and I haven't turned into a bad manager overnight.

He's taking the piss, right?

He's been taking the piss for weeks. He said that he & Fergie had a chat at the Villa/Manure reserve game, and Fergie said that Eck had done WELL to keep Villa in the division because the teams below us had better squads. So of course Eck runs to a paper to say all this.

He's just an idiot.

I think I hate him more than any other figure of celebrity, let alone anyone else in football. He's a tit and delusional with it.

Also djcifjebdkxixm! City! That was exhilarating to read (as I'm at work)!

I do agree, that with the money comes plenty of fans who wouldn't have supported them before.

What if in ten years time Sheffield United are winning the Premiership? While it's inevitable that fans come out of the woodwork when a team are being successful Man City HAVE been well supported through some pretty shitty years.

Don't misrepresent me.

And it's a fair point about United spending their own 'earnings', but their first title was based on spending 'big' (at the time of course) buying Danny Wallace, Pallister, Ince, Mike Phelan and Neil Webb. Bryan Robson costing somewhere around the 1 and a half million mark. Since then they've constantly purchased (and fair enough, developed their own talent, but City have put an extortionate amount into their own training facilities). So, so many players in United's history have been expensive - Rio was around 30 million at the time wasn't he? And then this year you've most expensive goalkeeping transfer De Gea put into a side that, in the Manchester Derby, had cost more than City's had.

Oh and Arsenal? Won the league 97/98 after spending £20m in the summer of 1996 (Petit, Overmars and Viera). That would be a decent transfer budget for some clubs these days, nevermind sixteen years ago.

I'm not saying City haven't spent their way up, just that it's something that happens in football and it's ridiculous to peg City as if they're what is wrong with football. It also takes more than just spending, it takes buying the right player and making your team work and win at the highest levels.

But yeah, football.

How could you not have it in your life? Amazing.

And yet still have debts in the 100s of millions. Besides, it's just as fortunate that Man Utd became successful when Sky started ploughing billions into top flight football as it is that some multi-billionaires decided they wanted a Premier League club. If Sky Sports had come around 5-6 years earlier, Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal would have probably dominated the league for the last 20 years.

'.....sorry, we're going to have to say no. Don't want to lose our integrity with those vocal internet football fans!'

If spending a lot of money on players won you the league Newcastle and Liverpool would have won the Premier League by now. It doesn't always work that way. Sure, City got a huge boost from their rich owners but it didn't get them the league over night. It's taken them two or three seasons to get to this. There are multiple factors that have to go right in order to get the league, not just splashing the cash.

If spending a lot of money on players won you the league Newcastle and Liverpool would have won the Premier League by now. It doesn't always work that way. Sure, City got a huge boost from their rich owners but it didn't get them the league over night. It's taken them two or three seasons to get to this. There are multiple factors that have to go right in order to get the league, not just splashing the cash.

Oh, I agree. Even managing a side with millions behind them has its own issues.