The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Regardless, neither Martinez nor Lambert will leave their respective club for Aston Villa. Martinez is clearly happy at Wigan and will probably be looking to fight for a higher spot on the table next season, and Lambert probably wants to secure Norwich's status as a Premier League club in the long-run. Neither manager will leave for at least a couple of seasons unless a big team like Liverpool come snooping around.

Regardless, neither Martinez nor Lambert will leave their respective club for Aston Villa. Martinez is clearly happy at Wigan and will probably be looking to fight for a higher spot on the table next season, and Lambert probably wants to secure Norwich's status as a Premier League club in the long-run. Neither manager will leave for at least a couple of seasons unless a big team like Liverpool come snooping around.

:lmao:

• Like 1

With how Wigan have played recently, I wouldn't think Martinez would want to leave them. They're better than where they finished and Martinez gets teams to play enjoyable football.

:lol:

Villa are bigger and better than both sides they're currently at. Martinez stayed out of loyalty to Whelan and nothing else. You're assuming Lambert wants to stay and secure Norwich's position when he's already said himself;

‎'Paul, will you still be at Norwich at the start of next season?' Lambert: 'Erm, erm, erm, it's difficult to answer that'

Surely if he wanted to stay and was going to that question would be answered differently.

Assuming Villa sack McLeish and replace him before the start of the season I reckon we'd finish above Wigan and Norwich. Lambert would be taking a big step forward by coming to Villa Park and he knows it.

I don't think Martinez wants to leave Wigan, he's happy and settled there and is a very loyal man. He'll see his contract out.

Villa are bigger and better than both sides they're currently at. Martinez stayed out of loyalty to Whelan and nothing else. You're assuming Lambert wants to stay and secure Norwich's position when he's already said himself;

‎'Paul, will you still be at Norwich at the start of next season?' Lambert: 'Erm, erm, erm, it's difficult to answer that'

Surely if he wanted to stay and was going to that question would be answered differently.

Assuming Villa sack McLeish and replace him before the start of the season I reckon we'd finish above Wigan and Norwich. Lambert would be taking a big step forward by coming to Villa Park and he knows it.

I don't think Martinez wants to leave Wigan, he's happy and settled there and is a very loyal man. He'll see his contract out.

I disagree. Villa are not the side they used to be. Fair enough, they have talented players but that's all they have going for them. They've practically fallen apart, which is a shame because I like Villa a fair bit.

Lambert could sort out the problems at Villa, he's very detail-orientated and great at man management, but I don't see him going. It's like saying Brendan Rodgers, who is similar in that sense to Lambert, will leave for Villa Park. Lambert will leave Norwich one day, probably sooner other than later, but it won't be to a team like Villa.

I disagree. Villa are not the side they used to be. Fair enough, they have talented players but that's all they have going for them. They've practically fallen apart, which is a shame because I like Villa a fair bit.

Lambert could sort out the problems at Villa, he's very detail-orientated and great at man management, but I don't see him going. It's like saying Brendan Rodgers, who is similar in that sense to Lambert, will leave for Villa Park. Lambert will leave Norwich one day, probably sooner other than later, but it won't be to a team like Villa.

Disagree all you like, but you're wrong. We've had a horrid season, it's no secret, but a bad season doesn't make a bad club. We're still bigger and better than Norwich, Wigan, Swansea, etc. It's insane to suggest otherwise. Lambert has already said he can't say if he'll be at Norwich next season, and has refused to talk about the Villa job instead of saying he wouldn't consider it - so you're kinda just assuming it based on nothing.

Anyway. Talksport have said Poyet is heading to the Midlands to have an interview with a Prem club. Baggies bound perhaps?

We're still bigger and better than Norwich, Wigan, Swansea, etc.

I'm not denying that they're bigger than them teams, I'm merely suggesting that their managers will not leave for an outfit that are frankly stuck in a rut like Villa's.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

But why did he need to be brought up? He didn't play today, he wasn't even in the squad. And given the comments are about Barton deliberately trying to 'take another player down with him', something I'm not aware Cattermole has ever done in his career, it seems a bit odd to bring him up. There are plenty of other football players who are a bit thick in the head but didn't get mentioned as well. Just seems a bit of a pointless thing to include in the post is all, just kind of wondering what the need was..

Because if there is an opportunity to call Lee Cattermole a 'mealy mouthed, beady eyed, little ginger scum Mackem thug tosser', it's his (and my) duty as a Newcastle fan to take that opportunity.

• Like 2

He's a Newcastle fan, obviously he's more likely to bring up and take a shot at Cattermole than a player in the Swahili second tier or anyone else.

When it isn't relevant, just seems a bit pointless.

He's a Newcastle fan, obviously he's more likely to bring up and take a shot at Cattermole than a player in the Swahili second tier or anyone else.

When it isn't relevant, just seems a bit pointless.

That's what Newcastle fans* do though, they bring up irrelevant things that have no bearing on anything other than their own memory banks. The amount of times I've heard my Geordie-supporting mates bang on about Cheick Tiote's comeback, how shit Sunderland are or how amazing Ben Arfa or Cisse are yadda yadda yadda when the topic at hand has nothing to do with them is astonishing.

*Obviously I mean the ones I know. They do not represent the entire Newcastle fanbase.

And I did have nothing else to say until I saw this joke posted elsewhere:

"Phil Gartside has got his dream of a 39th game next season. And a 40th, 41st, 42nd, 43rd, 44th, 45th and 46th." :lol:

The one man who I am delighted to see relegated today, as on the whole I feel sorry for Bolton.

• Like 2

I'll forego the argument that Cattermole has been one of our best players under O'Neill's tenure for my own sanity's sake - and for the knowledge I'm really not going to get anywhere by trying.

Either way, match today was pretty meh. It was a good atmosphere and we both played some good football at times but that feeling of it all coming to an end is a bit saddening. Was emotional leaving my seat as well, as I now move to our 'new' home end that currently houses the away fans as they are being shifted up out of the way. Hopefully we get together a team that gets us all excited and we can get some more stability after a topsy-turvy season.

Saddened to see Bolton and Blackburn go, wish QPR had gone instead. Hope Solbakken does well at Wolves next season too. And congratulations to Man City on a deserved title win in an entertaining season. Time for a couple of months off, save some money, have a little holiday abroad and then back off we go following the team around the country. Happy days.

Any of the Newcastle lot going to try and get to an European games should the wife/work/etc. allow it? I assume getting tickets could be a tough job and you never know where you're going to have to go to but I know they'll take a good following no matter where. Hopefully one day I get to experience something similar, even if it is a preliminary round 1 qualifying first leg in Macedonia or something.

EDIT: Regarding the Gartside joke, wasn't he one of the ones that wanted the Premier League franchised to a degree so there was no promotion to it or relegation from it too? For obvious reasons given they've gone down it seems but it would be interesting to see what his answer would be if he got asked about it again now.

Edited by IAceI