The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Tbh I would have been happy with either considering we were never gonna get a manager from a European team like Klopp at Dortmund because why would he wanna leave when they have Champions League football and are winning things. So it was always gonna be either a free agent who we might be able to persuade or a young manager like Martinez/Rodgers who would suit FSG's plan that they have in place. I would have been happy with either of them as I think they have both have styles of play that I think can work well with the team.

The team atm has potential but its going to be at least another two years before I think we can realistically break into the top 4. We have European football next season and we have got a team that does have a spine in Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard, Suarez and hopefully Carroll continues to play like he did in the latter half of last season. With the right signings and the team developing over time we can start to challenge for top 4 at some point but I can't realistically see it happening next season, I'd say concentrate on getting at least 6th next season and try and push as close to getting 4th as we can.

Also with the "this could be another Hodgson argument".... unless Rodgers alienates everyone by saying getting smashed by Everton at Goodison Park was a good result, tries to sell our best players (Lucas and Agger in Hodgson's case), buys shite like Poulsen and Konchesky and plays some of the most boring football I have ever seen then I think Rodgers will be alright.

It's a building process, it won't happen over night but I'm looking forward to seeing what Rodgers can do. The manager needs the backing the only thing I'm worried about is the small minority of internet fans who'll just be moaning going "WHY HASN'T PEP OR SOMEONE COME IN, RODGERS IS THE SWANSEA MANAGER!!"

Does anyone know how likely the Van Gaal thing is looking now? A few journos are talking about it on Twitter but I was under the impression it was dead in the water for some reason. If we had him above Rodgers I'd go from mildly pessimistic about the whole thing to being massively on board.

Paul Tomkins was suggesting a while a go that the DoF was already in place. I don't know if that is true, but like you I have seen tweets saying van Gaal is the man they've gotten for the job.

Apparently van Gaal and Rogers already know each other.

My Dad is chuffed about his appointment for some reason. But then my Dad was all for the "buy British" proposal too.

He's always been a man after my own heart. But the "buy british" is better in theory than actuality, since we haven't got anywhere near the youth quality that other nations have. But Rodgers, I think, is a great choice for Liverpool, probably the best they could get. Has a good way with the players and gets his team to play very good football. Swansea's issue was a lack of a goalscorer (you have Carrol and Suarez) and a tendency to be to rather hesitant going forward. They also didn't have anyone who was good at set pieces (Besides Gylfi taking free kicks), although correct me if I've missed Williams being good from corners or someone.

It might not work out, but he's done wonders with a side that wasn't really changed from the side that won promotion so, you'd think, he can only do good here.

Oh and he's from the school of Mourinho, of course he's arrogant.

Swansea's issue was a lack of a goalscorer (you have Carrol and Suarez) and a tendency to be to rather hesitant going forward.

:huh:

The entire squad seemed unable to score so I blame the philosophy, not the players. Carrol scored 31 goals at Newcastle and unless he has another bad season, I'll still see him as a goalscorer.

Rockbox, do you want carra as the manager, or you just think he will end up as the manager? I can't see him having good tactics as a manager, unless you consider a back line of hoofing long balls to a target man a good attack :P

I'm reserved on the rodgers appointment. Yes, there are questions. He is unproven, he's a bit of a dick, etc., but he's the best option available, I feel. I prefer him over martinez. I like martinez, but he's in demand for simply doing well at the end of the season. However, people seemingly forgot how poor wigan were before in the beginning of the season.

And apparently sigurdsson isn't a done deal. From what I heard on talksport radio today the medical isn't done, so perhaps he is stalling with rodgers set to leave. He would certainly be an upgrade over henderson or adam in a 4-3-3. Now did rodgers run more of a 4-2-3-1 once he got sigurdsson? I would like to see liverpool look at running a 4-2-3-1 under rodgers with suarez playing behind another striker, kind of like aguero did at times with tevez. I think suarez could thrive in that role

He played 4-3-3 at Swansea with Gylfi loitering behind Graham and two fast wingers. I imagine we'll see a different tactic at liverpool since he needs to work around the players there and won't be able to spend that much.

And Suarez playing deeper has been why he seemed to struggle, so I hear? So would he thrive in a Trequartista position as opposed to playing up front?

Rockbox, do you want carra as the manager, or you just think he will end up as the manager? I can't see him having good tactics as a manager, unless you consider a back line of hoofing long balls to a target man a good attack :P

I don't particularly want him at the club at all >_>

Unfortunately there's a sizeable section of our fanbase that reckon he's going to be our Guardiola. Personally, I think he'll be like a worse version of Roy Keane as manager, but he'll manage us as some point.

This Wigan are poor thing is really silly. It's not Martinez's fault that Wigan were/are poor. They have a shit team. He has exceeded expectations in keeping such a shit team up. When will people realise this. :/

I don't really agree with the Wigan are shit argument. I mean they have been tipped for relegation pretty much every season and here they still are 7/8 years on so they aren't that shit. He achieved what would be expected with like you said the team and resources they have and met the expectation from the board and club and that being Premiership safety.

They are shit. Every season bigger teams take their best players and they have to start from scratch. The fact that they are tipped for relegation every season is proof that they are rubbish, not proof against the fact. Conor Sammon was a fairly important player for Wigan. Previously, he could be found struggling to get a game for Kilmarnock. QPR, Wolves, Blackburn and Bolton all had much better teams than Wigan, and an established support, but it was Wigan that was safe on the last day of the season. Martinez deserves enormous credit for it.

Don't you wonder why they are tipped for relegation every year?