The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Good appointment. I'm starting to think more and more that QPR did the right thing by sacking Warnock. West Brom did the same, more or less, when they replaced Di Matteo with Hodgson last season, and it didn't do them any harm. Sometimes you have to be cold.

Though, like Ace, I still want them to go down.

With that said by me earlier in regards Hughes, if I was a fan like Liam I'd be disappointed (..probably just in general :shifty: (I jest of course!) ) but Hughes left Fulham citing he wanted to go on to bigger and better things. For him to wind up at QPR can hardly be seen as such a move.

However they have the loveable Martin Jol in charge now and seem to be ticking along relatively nicely so probably aren't going to get too bent out of shape about it. Just a point though.

With that said by me earlier in regards Hughes, if I was a fan like Liam I'd be disappointed (..probably just in general :shifty: (I jest of course!) ) but Hughes left Fulham citing he wanted to go on to bigger and better things. For him to wind up at QPR can hardly be seen as such a move.

However they have the loveable Martin Jol in charge now and seem to be ticking along relatively nicely so probably aren't going to get too bent out of shape about it. Just a point though.

Wasn't that because he thought he would get the Aston Villa job only to end up for Villa not wanting him and instead wanting to get Martinez only to get McLeish instead.

Wasn't that because he thought he would get the Aston Villa job only to end up for Villa not wanting him and instead wanting to get Martinez only to get McLeish instead.

Probably, but not officially, Hughes and his agent have always insisted it was just a coincidence that he resigned from Fulham when the Villa job became available.

Yes! Please do!! He misses both Carling Cup games against Liverpool, as well as against us and Wigan in the league.

Commons Media and Sport Committee to hold investigation into racism in sport.

So the Spurs game is the only one he'll really be missed in, then.

I don't think people liked Hughes at Fulham anyway. I liked him as a manager, but he wasn't necessarily the kinda guy I liked us having, if that made sense. Was more annoyed when Hodgson left, and feel that given time, Jol will do a decent job for us.

• Admin

Commons Media and Sport Committee is to hold investigation into racism in sport.

The inquiry has been called by the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee in response to recent incidents of alleged racism in the game, and following a request from committee member Steve Rotheram, the MP for Liverpool Walton, whose constituency includes Anfield.

The committee will seek evidence from as many figures as possible across the game. It is understood that Suárez and Evra, the players at the heart of the acrimonious dispute between Liverpool and the authorities, will be among those the committee will seek to hear from.

Suárez was banned for eight matches after racially abusing Evra in October. His reaction and that of his club Liverpool to the ban has provoked widespread criticism, as well as a wider debate about racism in football.

England and Chelsea captain John Terry has also been charged with a racially aggravated public order offence after he allegedly used the words “------- black ----“ in an angry exchange with QPR defender Anton Ferdinand. He will appear in court on Feb 1.

The first evidence session will be held on March 6, with former Liverpool player John Barnes also expected to be asked to attend. Parliamentary committees have powers to compel witnesses to appear, and those invited are generally expected to attend.

Rottheram said: “I continue to support the ‘Show Racism the Red Card’ initiative and believe, given the nature of recent events, that it would be appropriate for this issue to be looked at by Parliamentarians from all Parties and from different football/sporting and non-sporting allegiances.

“Sport should be rightly proud that in many ways it has led the field in tackling social issues such as racism, homophobia and sectarianism and it will be interesting to see what conclusions the Select Committee draw.”

Last year, the CMS Committee conducted an inquiry into football governance and produced a report critical of the current structures in the game. Its recommendations are still being considered by the football authorities, who will have to respond by the end of February.

• Admin

42 - Spurs have more points after 19 games than any Premier League team had managed at the same stage of season 2010-11. Starting to believe that maybe, just maybe, this could be a very special season for us. We must win against Everton tonight. [/Karl Fletcher]

Also, Man City's final game of the season? It's only against Mark Hughes' QPR.

Sammy Ameobi is out for 'a number of months' with an unspecified injury.

Shame, I want him or his brother to do really well so that - as the boys at the Football Ramble pointed out - they can get an Order of the British Empire and become Shola/Sammy Ameobi OBE :shifty:

• Admin

Sammy Ameobi is out for 'a number of months' with an unspecified injury.

Shame, I want him or his brother to do really well so that - as the boys at the Football Ramble pointed out - they can get an Order of the British Empire and become Shola/Sammy Ameobi OBE :shifty:

Probably failed a drug test then.