EWB's Top 30 Album of All-Time: The List

fr34k

Nevermind is a pretty good album, not their best but their most popular so its kinda expected it'd come higher than the other 2 studio albums. White Stripes, meh, I'm not a fan but I can appreciate they're good and see why they're appealing.

I generally find Radiohead to be one of the most boring bands ever, I know they're popular so I'm not surprised to see them in the top 30 but OK, Computer the best of all time? Nah.

Nevermind is a pretty good album, not their best but their most popular so its kinda expected it'd come higher than the other 2 studio albums. White Stripes, meh, I'm not a fan but I can appreciate they're good and see why they're appealing.

I generally find Radiohead to be one of the most boring bands ever, I know they're popular so I'm not surprised to see them in the top 30 but OK, Computer the best of all time? Nah.

Whilst it doesn't make it right, the top three 'fit' the bill as three of the best though. You'd see them three popping up on this kinda thing elsewhere, whether you are looking at forums or at actual websites/magazines covering this kinda thing.

So yeah, can't argue too much with those three at all.

People keep moaning about Linkin Park.....seriously, it only took about four votes or so to get that high, it isn't a shock to say that four people on EWB have really bad taste in music :shifty:

Whilst it doesn't make it right, the top three 'fit' the bill as three of the best though. You'd see them three popping up on this kinda thing elsewhere, whether you are looking at forums or at actual websites/magazines covering this kinda thing.

So yeah, can't argue too much with those three at all.

People keep moaning about Linkin Park.....seriously, it only took about four votes or so to get that high, it isn't a shock to say that four people on EWB have really bad taste in music :shifty:

Yeah I get that they're 3 pretty popular albums, and Nevermind and Elephant are definitely deserving of their place (if only because of their popularity), I'm not surprised to see OK, Computer in the top 10 either to be honest, but I'm just surprised it came this high.

Yeah, the one problem with this (which was great by the way fr34k (Y) ) was that it only needed a couple of people to vote for an album and to get it on the list. Maybe an alternative way to do it would be in 2 steps, find out our favourite artists and then run another vote where we rate each of their albums (or maybe their top 5 in the likely event that someone with a lot of albums gets in there) out of 10, unless of course we've not heard it in which case we just ignore it.

Though that would almost certainly mean no one-album-wonders got in and it'd essentially become "EWB favourite albums by our favourite artists".

But yeah, anyway, well run fr34k. :)

OK Computer was the first CD I bought for myself, and I was actually discussing with someone today (completely forgetting about this list, to be honest) how good it is. Quite surprised in it being No 1 though, didn't realise you had it in ya, EWB (Y)

Thanks for the kind words so far, but I agree that there has to be some way to do this a bit differently in the future. Besides getting more people to vote <_<.

I actually like 'Rag and Bone', GoGo! It's not my favorite Stripes song (that'd be 'Dead Leaves'), but it's good.

Am I just blind, or were The Killers not in the top 10? Shame. They and Coldplay are probably my two favorite bands right now. Hell, I probably would have tried to vote 'Viva La Hov' into this.

So I'm back from Africa now...

dunno Dead Boys

Kind of Blue is an incredible LP and deserves to be higher. It's the key jazz release. Believe the hype.

I like Nirvana, but Unplugged is dross. Save for Lake of Fire & Where Did You Sleep.

Dunno Static Age.

I used to like Frank Turner, but then I realised how boring his music is. Love Ire & Song is still alright though.

American Idiot is nothing special. I don't hate it though. I just don't care for it.

Different Class is a good LP. I love Sorted For E's and Wizz. Fabulous song.

I love one version of Raw Power, don't really like the other. I think it is the Bowie production I like.

Rain Dogs is really good and quite memorable and unique. Union Square to Downtown Train is a phenomenal run of songs.

Blue Album is pretty good, although the only songs that really stand out for me are the singles.

Colour and Shape is just like any other Foos album. I've always seen the Foo Fighters as a good singles band. However, their new album is surprisingly good. First Foo Fighters album that is more than mediocre.

I've really tried to like this album. I've given it so many chances on account of its cult status but it's never really worked for me. I like Holland, 1945 though.

36 Chambers is good.

Never listened to Dookie.

Never listened to By the Way.

Demon Days is okay.

Eminem Show is Eminem. Ergo it is awful.

Rubber Soul is my favourite Beatles album. While most of the Beatles canon is pretty immediate, Rubber Soul is an album that rewards repeated listens.

Yoshimi...is okay.

Whatever and Ever Amen is where Ben Folds fell from stratospheric to shitospheric.

Ride the Lightning is so so.

Origin of Symmetry is really good. Admittedly I don't think as much of it now as I did when I was 11 but at least I can still listen to it, which gives it one over the rest of the Muse catalogue.

Deja Entendu is average.

I liked Enema of the State when I was 10, so I still have some lingering affection for it. Doesn't mean I ever listen to it though.

Biffy Clyro have one good album. It is Puzzle. I should know, given that I'm from the same town as them.

As an aside - Fuck the Abba haters. Benny Anderson is the real King of Pop. Or possibly Brian Wilson.

Linkin Park are tripe. I didn't like them at the time either.

I think Velvet Underground & Nico is really good, but a bit flawed. As are all Velvets albums I suppose. I like Loaded best, just for the record.

Um I like Roll With It, I suppose, and if I had to pick my favourite Oasis album I'd pick Morning Glory. It's still not very good though, and Cast No Shadow is perhaps their worst ever Beatles pastiche.

In Utero is an album I like a lot. Fed up of so much Nirvana on this list though.

Thriller is cool. Second best MJ album after Greatest Hits. Although they are one and the same for the most part. <_<

Master of Puppets. Whatever.

Arctic Monkeys debut is nice enough. Far too much filler for it to get anywhere near such a list though.

I am not at all surprised to see Nevermind so high. Fair enough. It's a good album.

Elephant is quite good.

Okay Computer. :(. BORING. Reeks of Q Magazine. Although I do like Karma Police.

I like Nirvana, but Unplugged is dross. Save for Lake of Fire & Where Did You Sleep.

You can't hate "About a Girl!" We can't be friends if you hate "About a Girl!"

You can't hate "About a Girl!" We can't be friends if you hate "About a Girl!"

Well I don't hate it, much like I don't hate the Unplugged album. I just find the song, and the album itself, a little pointless. Which is no bad thing. Bands far greater than Nirvana have live albums that are little more than pointless filler.

Studio version is lovely though.

I actually think the Unplugged version of the song has a lot of merit in its own right. Not like in a "oh, this is groundbreaking" way but it the lower-key, slowed down, softer approach almost adds a different context for the song for me.

Plus, admittedly I just think Kurt's "this is off our first album, most people don't own it" line is funny.