Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Saw Limp Bizkit last night and they were ace! Set was only 70 mins as it was the "kerrang tour", but they played most of what I wanted to hear. To start off Wes, dressed as some weird zombie Fear & Loathing type character, played a song on a banjo/ukulele before tossing it away, and Fred said "let's get this thing rollin'" before obviously, starting off with Rollin'. They played Hot Dog and mixed the break down with Metallica's Creeping Death, and played a few other snippets from random songs like Welcome to the Jungle and that Enter Shikari song with the clap-clap-clap bit.

I think my favourite part was with My Generation when the breakdown came in, the whole crowd sang the breakdown with no lead in from Fred, but the band played along, and when it came it crash back in, they came back in with the lights flashing, but then carried on with the breakdown like a big cockblock, with Fred commenting "don't believe everything you hear... unless you want to" and they carried on from normal".

They also asked for requests and people requested Break Stuff, but he was saying "no, we're not allowed to play Break Stuff, seriously, this isn't a joke, they said no Break Stuff for the whole tour", and to be honest, it wouldn't have surprised me if that were the case. They covered RATM's Killing in the Name in full, and I was expecting them to launch into Break Stuff with the "fuck you I won't do what you tell me" part. For their last song they playing Take a Look Around and people started to leave, before Wes teased the intro to Break Stuff, and that was their encore. As people left they were playing Bee Gee's Staying Alive over the speakers, with Fred dancing a little on the stage, and everyone left in a great mood because of it.

Limp Bizkit were playing in the student's union which isn't very big, and by coincidence A Day to Remember were playing the same day in the much bigger Motorpoint Arena... but they cancelled due to ill health on the very day. Such a shame that they were playing a bigger venue in the first place to be honest, and then to cancel anyway.

As far as the support goes, I arrived near the end of a band called Necrogoblikon and they had a guy wearing a goblin mask and yeah no. After that were Crossfaith, some band from Japan, and they, as far as I could tell, played the same song 6 times. They were like Enter Shikari as far as I know. Their last but one song was a cover of a Pendulum/Prodigy type song, and their final song could've been a cover too, it sounded vaguely familiar.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Twenty One Pilots last night in Bristol...on a real life boat. They were really quite good and had a tonne of energy. Oh, and it being a fairly small boat combined with a 90 minute queue, I was in the very front so I got to hold the drummer up as he basically stood on top of the crowd and played a drum which was like an inch away from my head- http://instagram.com/p/k2u-A8j8ZU/# Pictured, me, somewhere underneath the drum/guy on the left. So yeah, I'm now partially deaf but it was fun!

• Like 1

I'm purchasing tickets to see Gogol Bordello on Friday. I am fucking excited, I've been wanting to see them for a few years or so, and they have four dates lined up in Vegas in late April/early May. If I had the money, I'd be inclined to go to more than just one.

OH and Motorhead/Megadeth in April, I really want to see that just for Motorhead, though Megadeth should be cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Fall Out Boy in Cardiff last night. New Politics were good openers, the Pretty Reckless were dreadful as supporters and Fall Out Boy were quite good. Some major league wankers in the crowd though and a lot of people got taken out which was grim.

• Like 1

The above review is spot on. New Politics were full of energy and a decent opening, whereas you could have replaced The Pretty Reckless with cardboard cutouts and just played the songs over the speakers and you wouldn't have known a difference. Fall Out Boy strolled through the hits, broke it up with a little acoustic stuff, but hit the best parts of each album so I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kvelertak tonight! woot!

Kvelertak are amazing live. The two times I've seen them have both been some of the most high-octane energetic gigs I've experienced. They just have so much fun with the music they are playing.

They were flipping brilliant. As you say, so much energy live. They played something like 16 or 17 tracks, and there was no let up in quality (which is pretty amazing considering they only have two studio albums).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm purchasing tickets to see Gogol Bordello on Friday. I am fucking excited, I've been wanting to see them for a few years or so, and they have four dates lined up in Vegas in late April/early May. If I had the money, I'd be inclined to go to more than just one.

OH and Motorhead/Megadeth in April, I really want to see that just for Motorhead, though Megadeth should be cool.

And Gogol Bordello fucking killed it. That was definitely one of the most fun shows I've ever been to. Not only are they great musicians that play great music, but they're great on stage and with crowd interaction. There is also something to be said about being able to tell when a band loves playing music together and seem to have a very close bond. As great as the show was, I loved seeing everybody giving each other hugs after they finished (and not just, hey have a hug, but like I love you man hugs). I definitely shouldn't wait four years until my next show (2010 was the last time I saw a band live) because I forgot how great of an experience it is.

They have two more dates in Vegas and I'm really tempted to hit another one in two weeks, but without the wife this time.

Didn't see Motorhead/Megadeath, they wanted 90 bucks, and it was on a Thursday. I've seen Motorhead twice so I'll live.

Oh and Primus has three dates lined up this weekend, doubt I'll see them but it would be nice. I saw them ten years ago, and are among one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I honestly haven't been to a really shitty concert though, most have been very good for one reason or another. The only I can think of that I didn't care for was CCR (and I like CCR, just not the same without Fogerty) and Our Lady Peace (because I never liked them to begin with and was dragged to it by my highschool girlfriend. There was also Sloan, Quarashi, and so other bands).

But yeah, all in all, I left tonight's show very happy.

I've seen Gogol Bordello a couple of times now, and they've killed it every time. They're obviously having a wicked time, and that makes it more enjoyable for everyone. They're absolutely brilliant.

So I threw in an extra DLSvsPIP date on the end there and went to Liverpool. It was brilliant. It's properly sad that this may be their last tour. I mean, they've been touring pretty much non-stop for the best part of a decade, so I imagine they're exhausted, but still. Ho hum.

Only thing I've got booked now is Sonisphere festival and Lethal B. Lethal B keeps getting pushed back though, I think it's in like October now.

Sage Francis will be coming over soon. I'm gonna book myself onto a few shows on that tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming up in August, I'll be going to Heavy Montréal. I can't wait. Lineup includes Metallica, Slayer, The Offspring, Lamb of God, Twisted Sister, Anthrax, Bad Religion, Dropkick Murphys, Pennywise, Body Count, and a ton more bands. I'm pumped.