2011/2012 UEFA Champions League

Starvinho

I don't fancy Chelsea's chances too much tonight but as long as the mighty Sturridge is playing then I'm sure he'll fire them through. (Y)

Edit:

He's playing so I say Chelsea 2-0 and Sturridge to score.

Chelsea team vs Valencia: Cech; Ivanovic, Luiz, Terry, Cole; Romeu, Ramires, Meireles; Mata, Drogba, Sturridge

Subs: Turnbull, Ferreira, Mikel, Lampard, Malouda, Kalou, Torres.

Edited by Starvinho

Only caught the end of AVB's press conference on Sky, but I'm going to transcribe what I did see:

...To be fair, there's only team in the country at the moment, which is Man City. I hope they qualify, sincerely, but the approach to Man City is basically 'if they qualify, they qualify; if they don't qualify, they don't qualify'. And we don't get that margin from you guys. So yes, I will never criticise your editorial choices, but it's the reality.

I mean people take perspectives that are out of this world - from criticising our players, from criticising our choices... From a Manchester United defender that sits on top of, er, on his preparation for the game and tells things like 'I don't want to be one of the Chelsea players today', 'I couldn't play this game today', 'this is a difficult game for them'. This is out of this world for me. I don't believe this.

So this is a continuous persecution of Chelsea. Continuous aggression towards one club. We have become your target, we accept that, but you have to accept that today was a brilliant win, and tomorrow is unfortunate for you guys because you have to report on a brilliant win for Chelsea qualifying first. It's difficult for everybody [grins], and tomorrow is difficult for you guys.

:wub:

Credit to him for dropping his high line into a more deep defending one, with Luiz and Terry - especially the latter - a high line is just asking for trouble in a game that is dominated by pacy frontmen so much who love to be given space to chase the ball in. Shows Villas-Boas isn't too stubborn to tweak his own tactics, but also goes someway to showing that he isn't playing the system he wants to or is used to. That said, if you can play a system you're not as comfortable using or familiar with, and still beat Valencia 3-0, then that's nothing to be sniffed at.

Oh and Drogba was phenomenal. He's obviously aging a bit and time isn't on his side anymore, and those sort of performance are seen less because of it, but when he does play like that he is nearly instoppable. When the Valencia defender - name escapes me - tried to go shoulder to shoulder with him, and essentially just bounced off him, was incredible. It was a shame Drogba went and spaffed it so far wide, but obviously he got retribution not long later with that second goal of his.

A great performance from him, and also from Juan Mata - and to a lesser extent Sturridge. I think all three played well and to a certain degree that meant the other two in the forward line could play better as well, Mata especially is like Michael Laudrup in the sense that he just allows every one of his teammates to have a better time on the ptich. What an incredibly talented player he is.

That said Sturridge obviously isn't as keen out on the right as he is through the centre, but with Drogba pretty much nailing that position for now at least - and then Torres providing something different (sometimes something entirely and massively different) in style it's going to be difficult for Sturridge to get played through the centre. Especially since all indications and times I've seen Romelu Lukaku indicate that he could pretty much be everything Drogba currently is, is worrying. With the two-up-front sort of disappearing from the top echelons of the game somewhat, in saying that you could get away from a Drogba/Sturridge partnership whereby both generally don't look to defend, in will be hard for Sturridge to make his mark as a central striker at Chelsea. He's getting games played out wide (it's not as if he's being asked to play as an out-and-out winger) so it's up to him whether he adapts and is content playing a wider role or whether he wants to play solely as a central striker, in which case I imagine another club may be necessary.

I for one would welcome him at Sunderland. That said if it was on-loan we'd turn him into a much better striker, if we signed him permanently we'd break him. :shifty:

Only caught the end of AVB's press conference on Sky, but I'm going to transcribe what I did see:

...To be fair, there's only team in the country at the moment, which is Man City. I hope they qualify, sincerely, but the approach to Man City is basically 'if they qualify, they qualify; if they don't qualify, they don't qualify'. And we don't get that margin from you guys. So yes, I will never criticise your editorial choices, but it's the reality.

I mean people take perspectives that are out of this world - from criticising our players, from criticising our choices... From a Manchester United defender that sits on top of, er, on his preparation for the game and tells things like 'I don't want to be one of the Chelsea players today', 'I couldn't play this game today', 'this is a difficult game for them'. This is out of this world for me. I don't believe this.

So this is a continuous persecution of Chelsea. Continuous aggression towards one club. We have become your target, we accept that, but you have to accept that today was a brilliant win, and tomorrow is unfortunate for you guys because you have to report on a brilliant win for Chelsea qualifying first. It's difficult for everybody [grins], and tomorrow is difficult for you guys.

:wub:

Moany bugger.

• Like 2

Sturridge is playing the 'Hulk' role in AVB's formation and has more Premier League goals than the other central strikers combined. Something tells me he's fine where he is.

Moany bugger.

Yes, because creating a siege mentality in a club and using press criticism to motivate players always works so poorly when other managers have done it. :shifty:

• Like 1

Didn't say Sturridge wasn't effective, said he doesn't enjoy that role as much as he does playing centrally.

And to be honest he should probably have more, he could have had at least 5 against Newcastle on the weekend. He seemed to be through one-on-one a ridiculous amount of times thanks to Ryan Taylor's defensive capablities/the fact Jonas wasn't there to help him.

If it works, don't knock it - as long as he doesn't start stating ''facts'', I'm sure he'll be alright.

RAFA WAS TELLING THE TRUTH!!!!.....bastard

Great week for Chelsea which will surely be a huge morale boost, AVB is just the target of the old "Bad run of form at Chelsea means Abramovich is gonna sack him" from the press.

Also Football can be cruel sometimes poor Olympiakos. Hopefully tonight if there is a higher entity then they will make sure that Basel win because the thought of Man U in the Europa League is just something that will be highly amusing. But I can't see Man U not winning tonight.

If it works, don't knock it - as long as he doesn't start stating ''facts'', I'm sure he'll be alright.

I still maintain that was awesome because I will always love Rafa.

For anyone hopeful of Manchester City still making it through to the knock out stages:

Napoli haven't won away from home in European competiton in the last nine attempts and no Italian side has ever won at El Madrigal in European competiton not including qualifiers. Villareal also have a lot of first team players back.

On the other hand they're under no obligation to play those players, are guarantee'd to finish bottom anyways and are really, really bad. Wouldn't want to bet on it I don't think (maybe a Cavani anytime at best).

But yes, while Napoli are in pole position as such, and Villareal are pretty rubbish - it's not necessarily a certainty. Just trying to keep things positive for Man City hopefuls anyways. :shifty:

Edited by IAceI