NBA Thread 2011-12

sahyder1

The Nets literally can't trade for Dwight Howard now, and it's because they signed Teletovic to the non-tax payer MLE, which means they are not allowed to go over the luxury tax of 74.3 mil.

Hollinger breaks this down greatly if you are an ESPN insider, http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8128257/nba-do-not-bet-dwight-howard-brooklyn

The Nets have committed 53.4 mil to 6 players(Deron, JJ, Gwall, Brooks, Teletovic, Evans). Dwight Howard alone counts for 19.5 mil, which puts them at 72.9. Problem is, they'd still have 5 other roster spots to fill. It is not possible to sign 5 years for a total of 1.4 million with the minimum contracts in the NBA.

The Nets will re-sign Lopez and Humphries, fill out the roster from there and tell Dwight thanks, but no thanks.

What happens if they trade him for picks or a non-MLE player?

Not sure what you mean?

The Nets could've gotten Dwight, but they decided they'd rather have JJ, Gwall, Teletovic, Evans, and probably Lopez/Humphries rather than just Dwight. There is no way they can now get Dwight this off-season. Don't believe anything you hear on ESPN. I was watching JA Adande talking yesterday on Sportscenter and he had no idea about any of this stuff...you'd think people talking on ESPN would have a clue, but I guess not.

I mean if they find another team willing to take them, can't they trade the players to bring down their salary load so that they can still sign him?

Sure, but they already gave new contracts to Deron, GWall, Teletovic, and Evans, along with trading for JJ...They clearly have shown they want those players, so they won't just dump them off somewhere.

The Nets literally can't trade for Dwight Howard now, and it's because they signed Teletovic to the non-tax payer MLE, which means they are not allowed to go over the luxury tax of 74.3 mil.

Hollinger breaks this down greatly if you are an ESPN insider, http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8128257/nba-do-not-bet-dwight-howard-brooklyn

The Nets have committed 53.4 mil to 6 players(Deron, JJ, Gwall, Brooks, Teletovic, Evans). Dwight Howard alone counts for 19.5 mil, which puts them at 72.9. Problem is, they'd still have 5 other roster spots to fill. It is not possible to sign 5 years for a total of 1.4 million with the minimum contracts in the NBA.

The Nets will re-sign Lopez and Humphries, fill out the roster from there and tell Dwight thanks, but no thanks.

Not sure what you mean?

The Nets could've gotten Dwight, but they decided they'd rather have JJ, Gwall, Teletovic, Evans, and probably Lopez/Humphries rather than just Dwight. There is no way they can now get Dwight this off-season. Don't believe anything you hear on ESPN. I was watching JA Adande talking yesterday on Sportscenter and he had no idea about any of this stuff...you'd think people talking on ESPN would have a clue, but I guess not.

I mean if they find another team willing to take them, can't they trade the players to bring down their salary load so that they can still sign him?

Sure, but they already gave new contracts to Deron, GWall, Teletovic, and Evans, along with trading for JJ...They clearly have shown they want those players, so they won't just dump them off somewhere.

I just need the clarification that next season they can make a run at Dwight as a free agent, right? Because really, if he only wants to go there anyway they can manage to wait a year and not have to give up a single draft pick.

I don't think Howard will go to LA. They can dangle Bynum, but he knows that's a serious question mark of a franchise to sign with. There's not a lot of youth and Dwight wants out of Orlando because he doesn't want to have to go through a rebuilding project. In LA there is a major win-now opportunity, but Dwight doesn't want to have to stick with a franchise through the lean years. Coming into Brooklyn he won't have to worry about this, he Deron, GWall, and JJ can make runs year after year. That's where he wants to go and he could inevitably sign there next offseason. I could see him somewhere for this season as a rental, and that might be where LA fits in, but do they really want to part with Bynum and then lose Howard anyway the following offseason? I totally called Nash signing there though, he's a west coast guy on top of that he gets to be put in a serious win-now opportunity for the last ride Lakers.

Ray Allen's the next player to fall into place. Clippers plan to meet with him next.

Not sure what you mean?

I just need the clarification that next season they can make a run at Dwight as a free agent, right? Because really, if he only wants to go there anyway they can manage to wait a year and not have to give up a single draft pick.

I don't think Howard will go to LA. They can dangle Bynum, but he knows that's a serious question mark of a franchise to sign with. There's not a lot of youth and Dwight wants out of Orlando because he doesn't want to have to go through a rebuilding project. In LA there is a major win-now opportunity, but Dwight doesn't want to have to stick with a franchise through the lean years. Coming into Brooklyn he won't have to worry about this, he Deron, GWall, and JJ can make runs year after year. That's where he wants to go and he could inevitably sign there next offseason. I could see him somewhere for this season as a rental, and that might be where LA fits in, but do they really want to part with Bynum and then lose Howard anyway the following offseason? I totally called Nash signing there though, he's a west coast guy on top of that he gets to be put in a serious win-now opportunity for the last ride Lakers.

Ray Allen's the next player to fall into place. Clippers plan to meet with him next.

I'm not real sure they have the means to get him next year. Obviously it would have to be in a sign and trade, but really, I don't see Orlando going into the season with him this year. And I have a feeling Dwight will be re-thinking his decision not to go to the Lakers after this Nash move, because with Dwight next year, the Lakers are unstoppable.

The Mavericks offseason continues to be just amazing. Jason Kidd, originally stating his intent to re-sign has now decided to sign with the Knicks.

Gerald Wallace is quite old isn't he?

About to be 30. Not that old. He should have 2-3 years of high productive basketball left in him.

No he's not, because he's mainly a athleticism guy, that can really jump. And as he gets older, he's going to start to lose that.

The Mavericks offseason continues to be just amazing. Jason Kidd, originally stating his intent to re-sign has now decided to sign with the Knicks.

Maybe they can throw a max offer at Lin just to make sure that everybody involved in bidding wars gets dramatically overpaid.

The Raps traded a 1st rounder for Kyle Lowry, as the Rockets continue to confuse me with their moves.

Brandon Roy agrees to a 2 year-$10 million deal with the Timberwolves...

I think this a great signing and the timberwolves are getting someone to fill a spot and need badly... If Roy comes back anywhere near as good as he once was, this could be something that puts the wolves closer to getting back to the playoffs...