The Avengers

TKz

Guest mr. potato head

Seeing this movie do so ridiculously well financially has made me start to wonder if we're living in a game of Hollywood Mogul.

• Like 1

That led me to look up the highest grossing films of all time to see where it's currently ranked. I then learned that Transformers: Dark of the Moon is 4th all time. This depresses me.

Maybe it's just because I don't hate the Transformers franchise as much as the rest of the internet but I think Avatar being 1st is a lot more depressing.

It'd be depressing, but it's got kind of an excuse with it being the first real 3D film. I thought it was fairly overhyped, but the 3D was wonderful and for the technology alone I think I'm fine with it being that high up.

Finally got time to see this. I had a great time, saw it with my father, which was cool. I only have one thing to say, though...

Motherfucking Thanos! I just got a massive nerd hard on.

THAT'S who that was? Damn, I thought it was a weird kind of Skrull or something. Shows what I know.

That led me to look up the highest grossing films of all time to see where it's currently ranked. I then learned that Transformers: Dark of the Moon is 4th all time. This depresses me.

Maybe it's just because I don't hate the Transformers franchise as much as the rest of the internet but I think Avatar being 1st is a lot more depressing.

It'd be depressing, but it's got kind of an excuse with it being the first real 3D film. I thought it was fairly overhyped, but the 3D was wonderful and for the technology alone I think I'm fine with it being that high up.

I don't get the Avatar hate personally. Outside of being the first real 3D film (and still one of the only ones that used the technology well), it was a well-written and directed adventure film that took classic adventure and love stories, added many creative ideas and story elements and put it all together a neat and engaging package that was just all very well done. Avatar is also the only film in the Top 15 highest grossing movies of all time that is not based on a book, true story or an established brand/franchise. Yet people bash it for being unoriginal.

Compare that to Transformers 3, which was an action film with a plot structure that has been done 1000 times, includes way too many comedic characters (most of which are borderline racist or sexist), incompetent action direction where you can't tell what the hell is going, completely sloppily done in terms of direction and writing as well as just a narrative structure that made me wish the movie would end well before it was over. Watching The Avengers play out should remind anyone that has no problem with Transformers why it made way more money that it deserved. The Avengers really illustrates how the best sci-fi/fantasy action epics should be made. The Transformers franchise deserved better and somebody like Spielberg should have known better.

Edited by Universal
  • Like 1

I don't get the Avatar hate personally. Outside of being the first real 3D film (and still one of the only ones that used the technology well), it was a well-written and directed adventure film that took classic adventure and love stories, added many creative ideas and story elements and put it all together a neat and engaging package that was just all very well done. Avatar is also the only film in the Top 15 highest grossing movies of all time that is not based on a book, true story or an established brand/franchise. Yet people bash it for being unoriginal.

Pocahontas and Fern Gully say hi.

http://shaunlorrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/AvatarPocahontas-Plot.jpg

I understand why Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time. The movie was inoffensive fun and had a cool gimmick attached to it (that has lost all luster now). The CGI was amazing and really was breath taking to watch. Original? No. Good movie? Yes.

I still say that the film woudn't have done half as well if it didn't have the 3D attached to it though.

I found avatar a shameless rip off of dances with wolves.

More than the other two mentioned it ripped off.

Hell even the dancing with "wolves" was in there. The only thing it didnt rip off is when the giant ship needed ten more minutes to get into position to fire its giant weapon.

That was ripped off from Jedi.

So fuck avatar.

Did you just watch the dirty bits, then? Sicko.

Nothing that can, at this point, ever redeem you.

Saw it yesterday. Wow and damn. I love Joss Whedon, but he excelled himself in this one. Great character interraction (which is what The Avengers should be all about) with pretty much everyone having chemistry. I called the death of Agent Coulson early in the film, when he got the familiarity with a main character of being "Phil". It's a Whedon hallmark to kill the characters you don't even realise how much you love, and considering he was one of the integral people in bringing it together, he was the perfect choice. Actions sequences were stupendous and well paced, they didn't overdo the expected "they all dislike each other, how will they ever work together?" stuff, and a shit ton of easter eggs had me marking out like a small child. Awesome film.