Euro 2012

Lineker

• Admin

Whatever.

Outspoken former Republic of Ireland captain Roy Keane has ramped up his criticism of his national side - and declared himself ready to take on anyone in the squad who disagrees with him.

In the wake of Ireland`s tournament-ending 4-0 defeat to Spain on Thursday - their second Euro 2012 defeat in two games - Keane was highly critical of those involved in Gdansk and was annoyed by the way the players were serenaded from the stands despite their heavy loss.

His outburst has caused a stir in Irish football circles, with goalkeeper Shay Given refuting Keane`s claims the side were only at the tournament for a "sing-song", while manager Giovanni Trapattoni told Keane to concentrate on his own coaching career.

The 40-year-old was unrepentant this morning, though, using his column in the Sun to resume his broadside.

"Youll never beat the Irish?" he wrote of a popular terrace chant. "Its time for that song to be put away because, at the moment, everyone is beating them. Im sick of this win, lose, were on the booze mentality. It has to change."

Keane notoriously walked out of Ireland`s 2002 World Cup campaign, meaning some fans have refused to give his comments any credence.

But the former Manchester United midfielder is ready to stand by his comments, especially if challenged by players he believes do not deserve their place in the side.

"The likes of (Robbie) Keane, Shay Given, Richard Dunne, John OShea and Damien Duff are picked every game as they have a big reputation. A reputation for what? They hadnt qualified for anything in 10 years," he said.

"They love having a dig back when I say something but I tell you now, I`ll be ready if they do because players have to be accountable for how the team did.

"Im trying to be constructive but the manager and players all have to be accountable. Its not good shrugging our shoulders and having a sing-song."

Keane did seek to clarify his comments about the supporters, though, adding: "People seem to have misunderstood me. I've no problems with the fans singing. Its great that they back the team during and before games - but should they really stay on long after the final whistle cheering?

"Theres a danger that the players think that what has happened on the pitch is acceptable, when its not."

Trapattoni has come in for criticism in some quarters for a perceived safe tactical approach, but Keane believes the problem lies in the fact that the players he has are not in good enough form.

He highlighted the likes of Wolves pair Kevin Doyle and Stephen Hunt, saying: "I can`t think of one player who has had a good season at club level.

"A couple of years ago Kevin Doyle was linked with Arsenal. Now he`s heading back to the Championship. Stephen Hunt has been relegated three times in five years.

"Their club form is poor and no player has come out of the two games with any credit. Not one. That`s why Giovanni Trapattoni should make 11 changes against Italy tomorrow."

• Admin

UEFA open disciplinary proceedings against the FA over conduct of England supporters during win over Sweden. #SSN

:lol: this gets even better

Uefa open discip procedure v FA over #eng fans' spilling over hoardings in Kiev. Note to Uefa: it was goal celebration, not pitch invasion

Whatever about how Ireland played in qualifying they didn't turn up for the tournament.

Keith Andrews was Ireland best player at this tournament. He actually looked like he was trying. The rest just seemed to be turning up expecting defeat.

Keane has a point, the Irish have been shocking, absolutely awful, they have offered nothing in both games and looked like they had no belief in themselves, probably because they're essentially a Championship team. If not for the changes made in expanding the tournament I honestly would not be surprised to not hear from Ireland for a long time.

I think it's a bit like England at the last World Cup. They qualified well, for Ireland, and had a shit tournament.

Went round a mate's to play poker in the end so we only had the Russia game on, and only in the background mainly. Shocked to see Russia and Poland go out, though. Bit disappointed too because I tended to acquaint myself more with their players and focussed on them because I thought they would get through - can't really remember much about the Czech Republic in particular. In fact the two games I've missed have involved them.

Karagounis crossing himself like he'd seen a murder when he didn't get the penalty was hilarious. I'll be hoping both sides from Group B get through (unless one of them is Portugal :/) because I'm not particularly fond of either the Greeks or the Czechs - though I guess I could learn to like the Czechs once I see them doing something other than getting thrashed 4-1. Either way, this is helping the prospect of a Spain-France or Germany-France final, both of which I've got money on.

So tonight the Netherlands can redeem some of their pride against Portugal with a win. I meanwhile predict Germany to defeat Denmark 2-0 (I have been wrong before, heres hoping im wrong again :w00t:)

So Netherlands 1-0 Portugal (with a bunch of yellow and red cards)

and Germany 2-0 Denmark

:D

For anyone as confused as me about the permutations tonight:

Germany (v Denmark)

Win - Secures qualification and top spot.

Draw - Secures qualification and top spot.

Lose - Through with a 3-2 defeat, or a higher-scoring one-goal loss. Otherwise, out if Portugal beat Netherlands, but through if the Portuguese do not claim three points.

Portugal (v Netherlands)

Win - Secures qualification unless Denmark beat Germany 3-2, or by a higher-scoring one-goal margin.

Draw - Secures qualification if Denmark do not beat Germany.

Lose - A one-goal defeat would still see them through if Germany beat Denmark, but any more and they are out.

Denmark (v Germany)

Win - Secures qualification.

Draw - Will only be enough if Netherlands beat Portugal.

Lose - Out.

Netherlands (v Portugal)

Win - Secures qualification if by more than one goal and Germany beat Denmark.

Draw - Out.

Lose - Out.

UEFA open disciplinary proceedings against the FA over conduct of England supporters during win over Sweden. #SSN

:lol: this gets even better

Uefa open discip procedure v FA over #eng fans' spilling over hoardings in Kiev. Note to Uefa: it was goal celebration, not pitch invasion

If you cross the hoardings its a pitch invasion. Silly fans.

• Admin

See I had that thought too.

It is understood the FA will submit written evidence to Uefa ahead of the hearing on Wednesday.

The FA will cite the report from the Uefa match delegate, which described the behaviour of England fans as satisfactory.

Although they may accept there was some encroachment by fans following the second and third goals during England's 3-2 victory against Sweden in Kiev, they will argue it was exuberance.

They will also be critical of the stewarding at the match and the lack of seat management.