The Penn State Scandal

sahyder1

I find they don't mindlessly blow the Eagles. I'm sure if this whole thing hadn't happened, they'd be ripping the Eagles for the MNF game like everyone is..

I dunno, there is a big difference between: "Have you heard supposedly he likes to fuck kids" and "Holy shit, I don't know what to do, I walked in on him fucking a ten year old in the shower, I mean I saw him actually fucking this kid!"

Werent Paterno and Sandusky supposedly good friends? I thought I heard Paterno was mentoring him before. Forgetting the Police if you hear this kind of sickening thing about your friend wouldn't you confront them too?

They were but there were rumors, if I recall correctly, of them having a falling out around the time of Sandusky's surprising early retirement. I believe someone posted that Paterno didn't attend the retirement banquet. There's a pretty big cloud of suspicion here.

Bottom line is Paterno wanted to keep this an internal matter to save the program's and his reputations. That's the only reason he or McQueary would not have followed through with filing a police report. Where there's smoke there's often fire, in the public realm there's the perception of there always being fire. Paterno, the AD, McQueary and anyone else who had an inkling of what Sandusky was up to didn't do enough to stop it for fear of bringing down the proud history of the Nittany Lions. Instead by not reporting it they are not only ruining the program's reputation, they are ruining the university's reputation and their own reputations and legacies. They swept it under the carpet and are paying the price. Paterno does deserve some condemnation for not going far enough, though he did try in what he at the time perceived the best way for all parties. Only in doing this it appears he ignored the well-being of children.

Hang on, it's a huge, massive, potentially illogical jump from didn't report it to didn't report it to protect the program. As I keep saying a.) he did report it and b.) if it was merely speculation/rumour/innuendo rather than anything concrete or being told someone had witnessed something disturbing there is little more he could have done.

It's not a leap, there's a lot of historical evidence from other events to back it up. If a->b in 99% of cases, then there's a pretty good chance a->b here too.

Protecting business interests, protecting political clout, protecting family members, or protecting a football program. The actions taken for such a goal are all very similar at their core.

From what I've read/heard, McQueary went to him about it. So he got it directly from the source that saw it happening. It wasn't a "Hey, Joe, you hear about Jerry having sex with a kid in the shower?" type bullshit session.

Joe told the grand jury that McQueary didn't say exactly what he saw.

http://www.975thefan...xqXgtHs.twitter

I know Meacon, you don't like 97.5. But this is a pretty good interview with Cory Giger from ESPNs State College affiliate with some good information, like Sandusky being at Penn State practice in 2007 with a young boy, with Paterno and Mike McQuery there. Think its from last night

I interned at that ESPN affiliate, 1450 in State College. Giger wasn't there then, but he's a great dude and is pretty much one of the most knowledgeable radio personalities in Central PA. If he says it, I believe it.

Werent Paterno and Sandusky supposedly good friends? I thought I heard Paterno was mentoring him before. Forgetting the Police if you hear this kind of sickening thing about your friend wouldn't you confront them too?

They were but there were rumors, if I recall correctly, of them having a falling out around the time of Sandusky's surprising early retirement. I believe someone posted that Paterno didn't attend the retirement banquet. There's a pretty big cloud of suspicion here.

Bottom line is Paterno wanted to keep this an internal matter to save the program's and his reputations. That's the only reason he or McQueary would not have followed through with filing a police report. Where there's smoke there's often fire, in the public realm there's the perception of there always being fire. Paterno, the AD, McQueary and anyone else who had an inkling of what Sandusky was up to didn't do enough to stop it for fear of bringing down the proud history of the Nittany Lions. Instead by not reporting it they are not only ruining the program's reputation, they are ruining the university's reputation and their own reputations and legacies. They swept it under the carpet and are paying the price. Paterno does deserve some condemnation for not going far enough, though he did try in what he at the time perceived the best way for all parties. Only in doing this it appears he ignored the well-being of children.

After the late 90s accusation, Sandusky was told he was no longer the heir apparent to Paterno's head coaching position and then he retired.

Honestly this whole mess saddens me. I know the BoT meeting is going on or is about to, or whatever, but this is just plain out fucking sad. The way the media is focusing on JoePa, when really I have kept my faith fully within him during this whole scandal. If you think about it, JoePa did what he could do with what he had. Had Paterno gone to the cops, with information from someone else who saw it, but yet didn't fully tell him what he saw, then there could be issues later down the line especially if Sandusky got off which could have happened. Why would Sandusky had gotten off? because whoever it was that told Paterno didn't man the fuck up and tell the cops himself. yes, Paterno could have done more in some ways, but so could have alot of other people including those at the helm of the AD at PSU when JoePa reported it, so they are the biggest failures in my eyes.

Yes, Paterno is tainted from this and in no way is coming out squeaky clean, but then again I would love to see you forced into it and don the same if you were in any one persons shoes that wasn't the guy who visually saw it going on. I am choosing as a faithful follower of them to actually forgive JoePa for his misgivings on this as he tried to do something, even if the higher ups did in the end ursurp him and cover it up. I just can't wait to finally get all this behind us, as PSU needs to get clear of all this clout eventually and return to prominance, I fear the the team if it goes to nebraska and Paterno is out, because it must be hell being those kids as it is, let alone the concerns of not knowing what about JoePa if he is taken out by the BoT.

As a die hard PSU fan, I myself admit that it was best for Paterno to leave as well. However, in best interest for him, the program and the students who came there specifically for him, they should have let him atleast finish out this tenure and retire at the end of the season which isn't far away. I will not be shocked if the stands are empty this weekend vs. nebraska and hhonestly hope they are to show a message that Paterno was PSU and firing him for something too far out of his control is something that shakes the core of the PSU faithful. Had they let him stay till the end, I would consider them alot stronger, but now with a ton of other fans they have made it hard for us to put the pride back into them they deserved and now make questionable.