Gary Speed has died

therockbox

Seeing Bryn on SSN was heartbreaking.

Gary Speed was one of the first players I saw as a young Leeds United fan around 1994-1995, him and Gary McAllister were my first 2 favourite players.

Whats impressive about Speed is that the fans all remember him for the exact same reason, 110% effort, and all his team mates remember him for being an all round great person.

I feel that Speed would have gone on to be one of the top managers in football, if it hadnt come to such a bewildering abd tragic end.

RIP Gary.

• Admin

Leeds absolute smashed Forest, with the first goal coming during the Gary Speed chanting :)

The chief executive of the Sporting Chance clinic says he has been contacted by 10 professional footballers since Gary Speed's death.

The clinic has helped many players beat depression and addiction, including former Arsenal captain Tony Adams.

"Ten players have contacted me to seek help since the news broke," said Peter Kay. "That is an unusual amount.

"But I'm loathed to suggest Gary Speed's tragic death can be linked to anything positive," he added.

Kay claims that the players that have contacted his clinic - which was set up in 2000 to provide support, counselling and treatment to sportsmen and women who are suffering from addictive illnesses - are from the Premier League and the lower divisions.

"We're talking about players across all the leagues," he told BBC Radio 5 live. "Mental illness does not preclude anyone. Regardless of profession, wealth or status.

"I can't imagine the desperation someone feels when they get to [the stage of suicide].

"But through my own personal experiences and my staff's personal experiences, we can help sporting professionals feel less lonely."

A minute's applause will be held for Speed at every Premier League game this weekend, as the football world still tries to come to terms with the unexpected loss of the former Leeds, Everton, Newcastle, Bolton and Sheffield United player.

Speed, who was found dead at his home in Cheshire on Sunday aged 42, made 535 Premier League appearances during a 22-year career.

Wary of being slightly controversial here, but I honestly think that this is one of the rare situations in modern times where a minutes silence feels far more appropriate than the minutes applause/eleven minutes of chanting etc. I know its to honour his contribution to football, but I'm just really uneasy of applauding someone who has just taken his own life and left behind a wife and two kids. I know there'll be reasons behind it, and he was obviously not in a good place, but I'm still uneasy about the applause.

As most probably know I've been a season ticket holder at Newcastle for years, and Speed is definitely on my heroes list (I once wrote to him to see if I could buy the shirt he swapped with Vennegoor of Hesselink when we played PSV, no reply but still up there), but I'm honestly not sure if I'll be clapping on Saturday. It's on tv so if you're watching I'll be the one getting lynched...

Wary of being slightly controversial here, but I honestly think that this is one of the rare situations in modern times where a minutes silence feels far more appropriate than the minutes applause/eleven minutes of chanting etc. I know its to honour his contribution to football, but I'm just really uneasy of applauding someone who has just taken his own life and left behind a wife and two kids. I know there'll be reasons behind it, and he was obviously not in a good place, but I'm still uneasy about the applause.

As most probably know I've been a season ticket holder at Newcastle for years, and Speed is definitely on my heroes list (I once wrote to him to see if I could buy the shirt he swapped with Vennegoor of Hesselink when we played PSV, no reply but still up there), but I'm honestly not sure if I'll be clapping on Saturday. It's on tv so if you're watching I'll be the one getting lynched...

I understand both sentiments and get why people are applauding but im in total agreement with you Colly.

I've been a Newcastle fan for twenty years and during that time there are only a few players I've been as fond of as Gary Speed. Despite that I couldn't bring myself to cheer or applaud for a minute.

Ill have my own silence in my front living room and say my thanks for what he did for my club and the big part he played during my adolescence as such a fantastic player but given the way he died cheering just seems wrong.

Edited by Pepsi Twist

I think the idea is to celebrate the man's life and career, rather than to mourn his death.

This. It isn't about his death or the circumstances of it. It's about honouring his life and his contribution to your club and to the game of football.

I used to be universally against the minute's applause as opposed to silence but after doing it for Bobby Robson and breaking into chanting for the great man it turned me round to the idea.

Being a 'traditionalist', for me, it should have been a minutes silence before every match up and down the country with black armbands. None of this minutes applause stuff or hymns.

But I won't slag off any club that chooses to do otherwise.

The 11 minutes after 11 minutes was an idea taken from Seville, who do 21 minutes on the 21st minute for their ex player.

I think the idea is to celebrate the man's life and career, rather than to mourn his death.

This. It isn't about his death or the circumstances of it. It's about honouring his life and his contribution to your club and to the game of football.

I used to be universally against the minute's applause as opposed to silence but after doing it for Bobby Robson and breaking into chanting for the great man it turned me round to the idea.

The circumstances of the two men's deaths are VERY different. Like I said, I understand applauding but on a personal level I find the silence more appropriate.

The tribute due to take place at SJP tomorrow has been postponed at his wifes request so she can attend when we play Swansea in a fortnights time. As you may gather from my previous comments I'm delighted, glad it'll have the blessing of his family, who are by far the most important people concerned.

A fitting match, I think we can all agree - and I assume she will be at Leeds this weekend for their tribute?

Must be tough for her and the rest of the family, but it must also be overwhelming to see the way the entire football league has come together with well-wishes for her husband.

A fitting match, I think we can all agree - and I assume she will be at Leeds this weekend for their tribute?

Must be tough for her and the rest of the family, but it must also be overwhelming to see the way the entire football league has come together with well-wishes for her husband.

Yeah, the Newcastle one has been moved because she will be at Leeds today.

Sorry for the double post but I was so proud to be a Leeds fan tonight. I work in a pub - it's a Leeds pub, there's photos of the Revie era, LUFC badges and the words to Marching On Together plastered around the walls - and at about 12 o'clock the entire pub broke into a chant of "Gary Speed, Gary Speed, Gary, Gary Speed, nanananana" for about 20 minutes.

Also apparently the Leeds fans chanted the same chant for the entire first half of the game today.