Gary Speed has died

therockbox

I was really taken aback when I saw the headline on the BBC website. I'm not Welsh and have never been a Newcastle supporter, but I always enjoyed watching him play. The Welsh national side has come on leaps and bounds over the last few months under his management and, as someone already mentioned in this thread, he seemed to be in reasonably good spirits on Football Focus recently, so this news is all the more painful to hear. Terrible, terrible news, not only for his friends and family, but for football in general.

Just absolutely shocking.

As a Leeds fan, I've always liked him but also for how he was still playing at such a top level for Bolton into his late 30's

That and he's been doing a great job for Wales.

Just crazy. :(

Suicide is even more shocking.. Robbie Savage said he was on the phone to him yesterday, chatting about football and dancing and Speed was happy and laughing. Wasn't he on Football Focus yesterday too?

I still can't believe it.

I'm glad the game is going ahead, and I'm glad it's Swansea. He'd want it to be played.

• Admin

The minute silence took place before it was announced.

1328: The players are making there way out on to the pitch at the Liberty Stadium. A banner greets them on to pitch reading "Get on with the game". There is no doubt that their own professionalism will match that which Gary Speed demonstrated throughout his career.

Says it all really.

Absolutely stunned. I remember watching Gary Speed on Match of the Day when I was four years old, and it seems weird that already one of the footballers I've grown up watching is gone. You expect it from wrestling, not from football. He was doing a really good job as Wales manager as well, I can't quite believe it. R.I.P. Villa-Swansea is going to be emotional viewing on MOTD 2 tonight.

And, as much as it seems silly to mention it now, but can you imagine what this is going to do to the Wales team? I wouldn't like to be the man drafted in to replace him...

Can't believe it, huge loss to football and especially to Wales and this is far too young. My thoughts are with his family and those who knew him. I don't know a whole lot about him but he was a huge contributor to English football as was shown at the start of the Swansea game. Hope he's now found peace.